Three for Three

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Kaiohi, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Kaiohi

Kaiohi Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    Glacier bay 22
    Haven't posted in awhile. Picked up a bigger boat in the beginning of summer (27' Worldcat) and was having a frustrating time getting the ahi to bite. We were still catching fish here and there but just not the ones we really wanted. On Sunday night I had a bunch of friends over so we decided to see if we could catch dinner bright and early Monday morning. We left Waianae at 5:30am and ran full throttle out to an area 22 miles away that had been the probable drift route of a cargo net that showed up off nanakuli earlier in the week. The seas were slightly heaving out there and at about 7:30am we slowed down to encourage our friend to purge the previous night's dinner. While she was leaning over the side with a go pro stuck in her face ready to document the occasion, she yelled, "I see birds, I see birds!" Sure enough, there was a massive pile on the horizon. We set out five lines and slowed to make our first pass. I was hoping for mahi or otaru or anything at all for that matter. Nothing. We cruised through untouched. I guess the anticipation did the trick because our friend finally started heaving. The moment the chum hit the water, the short corner popped and I saw a flash of yellow on the surface. Then the other corner went as well as the short rigger. "Right on, mahimahi," I thought and I slowed the boat, set the auto pilot and started to look for some ballyhoo to rig up.
    For some reason, it was taking the crew a long time to reel in their fish. The lines were still straight off the back and not really pulling but not really coming in either. A minute later though, I guess all three fish realized they were hooked and the reels started to scream and all three lines went straight down. Could it be?
    I started to handline the closest fish and after about 20 minutes I could see color behind the boat. It was tired and came in easily, which was nice since it had actually wrapped around the line of the other fish that had bitten the short rigger. Got a gaff in it, disconnected the leader and slid #1 into the boat. With the pressure off, we set to work on #2. As soon as we saw color on that one, it took off on a blistering run and all of a sudden we saw 7 or 8 large sharks in our wake. Not good. With 180# mainline and 450# leader I decided to hoist that fish up as quickly as possible. There wasn't much fight left in him as I think the cause of his last run was a nice-sized chunk taken out of his side by one of the predators. Got a gaff in him and set to work on #3. Now the pressure was back on. I've had triples in the past but never managed to land all three before - usually losing the last one. The shark pack behind us wasn't helping either.
    The crew was awesome. Everyone knew what to do and worked easily together. #3 had bitten a little 5" otaru lure with 80# leader. Not reassuring. The other two had leadered up easily behind the boat but this one decided it wanted to start circling. With both engines down, in gear and pushing us up-seas, of course the last fish on the lightest leader succeeded in wrapping both engine legs. There was a bit of excitement getting the engines shut off and I wasn't sure if we had cut off the last fish. Just then, #3 bobbed up between the twin hulls and nick was ready with the gaff.
    While the fish were being bled we set up again and made a few more passes. Twenty minute later the short rigger comes down hard and empties half the spool before coming off. Oh well. With more fish than we could eat, we pulled lines and ran full speed back to the harbor. In, washed down and eating spicy tuna and ahi collars by noon - it doesn't get much better than that. What a great day with great friends.
    HTML:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wD8z5TJ1Ek&feature=share

Attached Files:

2. cabo jon

cabo jon Carey-On

Name:
    jon
    Boat:
    Carey-On
    Nice. That is one strong woman. Looks like she could lift another 100# no problem.

3. manu-o-ku

manu-o-ku Newbie

Name:
    luke
    Boat:
    170 Montauk
    Now that's a nice catch!

4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Way to go on getting the trips, quite a feet, from getting the bites to getting them in the boat. More importantly congrats on the new ride, she obviously is a fish catcher!

Cheers
    Pat

5. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Nice mahis!

:)

6. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE WORK everyone....solid load of dinners there. LOL

7. HBTRANSPLANT

HBTRANSPLANT fISH fINDER

Name:
    craig
    Boat:
    Many, but are none are mine
    MAHALO !! Great read.

8. Enfuego

Enfuego Your favorite Realtor

Name:
    Yusef
    Boat:
    None
    Insane, nice work. The chunk out of the side of that fish is nuts.

9. Hij

Hij Newbie

Name:
    Jason Hijirida
    Boat:
    25 Force, PAIGE H
    Nice catch and great crew! Dam you guys party hard the night before and go fishing the next day seems to be a winner recipe for catching Ahi! Gotta be the second or third time you done this! Congrats on another awesome catch!

10. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Some nice fish there! Congrats!

11. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    epic catch

12. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    looks like the backbreaker for the table need smaller fish naah nice

13. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Yeah buddy! Good Stuff right there

14. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    Nice catch!

15. lucky 100

lucky 100 "Swordfish Searcher"

Name:
    Captain O
    Boat:
    Reel Caliente
    "WT"
    Nice catch bro !!!!!!!!!!!
    and Nice strong lady holding that fish :hali_olutta:

16. tsutomu

tsutomu Newbie

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    Anne's Revenge
    no wonder only had shibis for us. You caught all the ahi off of it. Good going!

17. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Great job