Offshore Three Day Offshore on Red Rooster III - 8-12 to 8-15

PENN

The Landlord

Aug 27, 2010
Irvine
Fishing was very tough! All the fishing grounds south of San Diego were closed by Mexico because of Covid. Go figure? So we went big fish hunting 100 miles offshoe to Cortes Bank and even Catalina. Fished hard for three days. Only 4 bluefin Tuna were caught on the 3 day trip. One was mine and won 2nd in jackpot! A really nice Bluefin that kicked my ass for 30 minutes and a trip or two around the boat (95ft) at the rail to land it. On a spinning rod! Some had a good stop on Quality Yellowtail, but I lost 3 in the melee around the back deck you get when fishing in currents at anchor. Saw over 70 boats on the backside of Catalina, all hunting Bluefin. Finiky biters, line shy. I got mine with a 30# test spinner that could outcast most and chase boils around boat. 20# flouro leader and a #2 hook. Not 2/0, a #2. Really tiny! Count less than 2 per rod and some with zero. Good Luck Guys! Pray for some warm water in September to push some quality up and tighten our lines.

Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    hijackin thread- but can some more people comment on the mexican waters? headed out monday on a private boat and planning to drop south

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    All Mexican waters closed? What about all the boats that have been fishing the Ridge? The RP is on its way home now in Mexican waters.

Upvote 0

Kin

o_O
    Oct 10, 2010
    San Gabriel
    Name
    Kin
    Boat
    ODC 420
    Friend is on the trip tonight till Tuesday. He’s super bummed to hear the tougher conditions from you guys this morning. Hopefully they find some better bites the next few days.

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    Excel is off Ensenada right now heading south. I believe he was misinformed. I agree with that Guadalupe is only thing closed due to Covid for Long Range.
    43E15AE7-69B9-4A59-9858-0793D9E30426.jpeg

Reactions: marlyn and Jason
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    hijackin thread- but can some more people comment on the mexican waters? headed out monday on a private boat and planning to drop south
    Gotta have some kind of story when you pay big bucks for a 3 day and then you go to catalina with 3/4 days,lol.

Reactions: Wandering Blues
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for an excellent, informative report. It’s bluefin being bluefin, I’m glad that you got one. And several days of excellent food and attention. A vacation at sea.

Upvote 0