THREADLOCK HOLLOW BRAID

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by bmwmini, Oct 14, 2014.

1. bmwmini

bmwmini bmwtech

Name:
    t
    Boat:
    monte carlo
    I SPOOLED UP SOME 60LB THREADLOCK AND NOTICED THAT THERE IS SOME TYPE OF WAX COATING ON THE HOLLOW BRAID. JUST LIKE POWER PRO JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS. ALSO DOES THE GLUE HOLD OR ABSORB THROUGH THE WAX COATING FOR FLOURO TO HOLLOW CONNECTION.

2. bmwmini

bmwmini bmwtech

Name:
    t
    Boat:
    monte carlo
    HOW MANY YARDS WILL MAK 20 SEA HOLD OF 130LB THREADLOCK

3. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    It's smooth but I've never noticed any wax coating in it.

4. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    I have seen no wax coating whatsoever on Threadlock; not on the white or blue line. There is no coating, certainly nothing like the old Power Pro.

5. bmwmini

bmwmini bmwtech

Name:
    t
    Boat:
    monte carlo
    it feels like something on it not soft like izorline very stiff and its the blue color. it feels more like hollow ace from power pro. unless its a knock off not sure but its definetly something on it since its very stiff some type of coating on it just saying

6. bmwmini

bmwmini bmwtech

Name:
    t
    Boat:
    monte carlo
    yes blane its very smooth thats for sure but it does feel funny very stiff not soft. maybe thats how it is i would probably ask a seagaur rep and see thanks for the info

7. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Funny how?

8. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Please see my tag line!

9. Rex1978

Rex1978 Member

Name:
    Rex
    Boat:
    Hopefully one day
    Used nothing but the Threadlock this year. As a matter of fact I got it all from Basil!!
    I made approx. 50 leaders w/ the Threadlock, Premier, & Tacglue.These leaders were from 20 - 60lb Premier, as I made them & let them dry, i'd pull test them & ensure no slip & get the stretch out of them. I used some of these & 2 of my fishing buddies used them(only up to the 40lb ones), not once did they slip.
    So, to answer your question... yes the Threadlock is VERY smooth. But, it absorbs the Tacglue just fine.

10. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Based on the testing I and Bob Perkins have done and written about previously, including tons of cross sectional testing, the Threadlock does NOT allow the tac glue to penetrate into the inserted mono/flouro lines as well as other non coated or non stiff spectra lines. The outward appearance of all the Tac Glued woven lines look identical or very similar but the cross sections show the penetration into the plastic line is clearly not the same. Though the Threadlock is fully penetrated by the glue perhaps the finish of the woven lines slows down the penetration into the plastic line just enough to where the very fast setting Tac Glue sets before it can fully penetrate the plastic. The amount of penetration varied based on the diameter of the plastic lines being tested.

Additionally, I also believe there is something different about the fibers and or finish beyond the thread count which makes the Threadlock material a bit stiffer. Unlike Power-pro there is no coating which will come off with your fingernail rubbing across it however I do not believe it is a similar finish, regardless of number of carriers, to Spectras such as J.B. hollow or Izorline hollow. To prove this simply put a semi-tight bend (Not a tight kink) into a piece of Threadlock and you will see the line has a memory retaining some sort of S or U shape. Do the same on a piece of J.B. or Izor, solid or hollow, and you will see there is no memory.

With that said, I am using the Threadlock 60 - 130 hollow on most all of my main line replacements and or spliced in added lines but not for making the Tac Glued
    windons.

Just my opinion

Jamie

11. justindfish

justindfish Newbie

Name:
    Justin Duhon
    I have a gold Mak 20 and full to the top it held 500 yards of 100lb threadlock and then finished off with 150 yards of 130lb threadlock. I ended up stripping about fifty yards off to make a little room for error in line lay but with the clearanced frame on a sea I think it would be fine. Topped off with 25 foot of 80lb floro. I hand cranked the 130 on very tight but the 100lb was professionally done tight. I took off 100 yards of 50lb mono and replaced with the 130 so I could chunk with it instead of troll.

I think I also read the 30 will hold 700 yards of 130lb so makes me think the 20 would be around 500 yards.

12. bmwmini

bmwmini bmwtech

Name:
    t
    Boat:
    monte carlo
    thank you fishordie for the detail information I will try what you said thanks BD for your comments on this question that I had

13. Cast Gold

Cast Gold hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    Mike's

This is something that I've been thinking about over the past few years but never really pursued finding the answers.

What is the nature of the adhesive we are using? Is it methyl or ethyl cyanoacrylate? These adhesives are composed of carbonyl esters, cyanide groups and alkenes which all carry a slight negative charge outwardly, with the cationic carbonyl carbon tucked inside as it's corresponding oxygen is electrostatically repelled from the adjacent nitrogen of the cyanide group, with the P2 orbitals of the alkene next to that. If the substrate spectra also has a slight negative character, I'd suspect that it would prevent the adhesive from penetrating past it onto the inner layer.

Another thing is reactivity of available functional groups. If the substrate line lacks the necessary moieties to react with the adhesive, we are just spinning our wheels. I would really want to examine the surfaces of these lines to see if they would even have the appropriate functional groups to react with the adhesive. Since these are trade secrets, it'd be nice if the manufacturers could recommend adhesives that would be compatible with their products without divulging the compositions of their products.

This stuff seriously keeps me awake sometimes.

14. bmwmini

bmwmini bmwtech

Name:
    t
    Boat:
    monte carlo
    wow cast gold that's a mouth full but very interesting on what you touched on I will also do some research on that. wow very interesting

15. timmyd3853

timmyd3853 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
    i have 50 60 80 and 100 lb threadlock on various reels. the 50 ans 60 seem to have that feel your talking about but once youve used it it seems to lose the "feel and is like other spectras. as for glue hold i used this weekend 60 treadlock with 50 mono spliced into the threadlock 18" and tac glued about 9" of it. held up great no failure at all. AND no knots or crimps or serves of any kind. im sold on both tac glue and threadlock it is a VERY smooth line also it is very thin as well that might be part of the feeling that comes with it. but i have noticed with the thicker lines - 80 and 100 - it doesnt have that feel to it. just the 50 and 60

16. swordswizzle

swordswizzle Humble sort

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    SD Long Range Fleet
    Seems to me that everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap but JB and Izor are still the go to lines. Why fix something that is not broken!

dtf and Fishybuzz like this.