maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
hay folks, so I took a 6 foot piece of 100lb hollow, threaded 80lb hollow into it, then ran 60 lb Fluro into the other end. Bowstring served both ends and a shot of super glue. Is/ would this be an ideal connection??
Any help appreciated in advance.

Reactions: aguachico

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
On the spectra to spectra side, the in-line splice is the best method. Nearly unnoticeable and a full-strength connection. You can do it with bent, single-strand wire. On the fluoro to hollow side, the serve is a good method. Stress the hell out of it a few times and look for slippage. If it’s coming apart, either your serve wasn’t tight enough or the spectra is too heavy, or both.

RichG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Correct me if I'm wrong. You are putting a 100 pound hollow braid into 80 pound hollow braid. Assuming the 80 pound hollow braid is your main line. Then you are inserting 60 pound fluro into the 100 pound hollow braid with a serve.

Why?

If you are going to fish with 60 pound fluro, why not just insert it directing into the 80 pound primary braid. No need for the 100 hollow braid.

If you are making wind-ons of 60 pound fluro. You can use 60 pound hollow braid and either insert or do a loop connection.

I prefer to match my braid to my fluro or mono. I feel it give me a better hold verse using heavier braid.

Just my two cents.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
80 solid, into 100lb hollow as the splice.

It’s what I had in hand.
In that case, skip the hollow altogether and learn the FG! It's not that hard and much easier to make new connections on the boat. The one time I did what you are describing, I actually did it backwards--the reel was full of 80-lb hollow, so I spliced in a long length of 100-lb solid (inserted into hollow and finished with a nail knot and Tac glue). That way I had a good section of solid on top that I could use to tie on my leaders. I like to flyline with solid...

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Post up a pic of your serve please.

I think the setup it's good.

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
I pesonally use the PR knot. The FG is only about 85%. For solid to hollow connection pass solid out and back into hollow. Try not to leave a tag. Pull connection very tight. No need to serve.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I pesonally use the PR knot. The FG is only about 85%. For solid to hollow connection pass solid out and back into hollow. Try not to leave a tag. Pull connection very tight. No need to serve.
PR is the gold standard, but the bobbin part is my deterrent. I cannot break an FG in normal conditions.

Reactions: Cubeye

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
PR is the gold standard, but the bobbin part is my deterrent. I cannot break an FG in normal conditions.
It looks harder than it is. The bobbin can be bought fairly cheap. Sport fishing magazine has good video on how to do it.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
Tested knot this weekend and so far it held well.
Fished white seabass on super heavy drag and no slip or failure.
Feeling pretty optimistic about it now.
Yes. It wasn’t a tuna, but with the amount of drag I was fishing, it would have failed if it wasn’t good.

Reactions: Tackleho619