Thread Wrap Spar Varnish vs. Perma Gloss vs. Lumaseal

Sep 6, 2021
Plano Texas
Name
Phillip L Pierceall
Boat
Kaku Voodoo
I am just exploring the different applications for thread wrap finishes and there is a lot on the Spar Varnish but not so much on the Permaseal or Lumaseal that I can find. I build glass and graphite fly rods and I would be using the finish for the thread wraps. I have read what I can find but there is not much on how to prepare, drying time, applying time, and how many coats on the permaseal or lumaseal, and if it is better to use a brush or spatula. Just trying to stay educated. Thank you all.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2021
Plano Texas
Name
Phillip L Pierceall
Boat
Kaku Voodoo
Wouldn't a light epoxy work better and last longer ?
I am trying to educate myself and the different finishes not necessarily what works better - That's not the question - I am wanting to know mainly what and how to use Permaseal and Lumaseal and the what the best way to do that would be. I know what epoxy does I use Flex Coat.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I Googled Permaseal and it doesn't look like anything to use on a fishing rod.Do you mean Permagloss ?

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
I am trying to educate myself and the different finishes not necessarily what works better - That's not the question - I am wanting to know mainly what and how to use Permaseal and Lumaseal and the what the best way to do that would be. I know what epoxy does I use Flex Coat.
No need to learn about them all. Get some D2 and call it a day. :D

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
well Mr"that's not the question" Maybe you should just figure it out on your own.....
and yes I know "that's not the question"

Hope your days get better.....

Reactions: plj46
P
Phillip Pierceall
I wasn't trying to be short amigo and believe me I have been doing a lot of research, So no worries my day is good appreciate your time.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
I am just exploring the different applications for thread wrap finishes and there is a lot on the Spar Varnish but not so much on the Permaseal or Lumaseal that I can find. I build glass and graphite fly rods and I would be using the finish for the thread wraps. I have read what I can find but there is not much on how to prepare, drying time, applying time, and how many coats on the permaseal or lumaseal, and if it is better to use a brush or spatula. Just trying to stay educated. Thank you all.

Urethane finishes have the viscosity of water. Apply it lightly so it doesn't sag or fling off. It flashes quick not much time for corrections. Small fine brush works great. IIRC time between coats are an hour or 2, read the label ot should tell you. Apply as many coats as you want. But feeling thread texture is fine for fly rods no need to encase it like a XXXH tuna rod. 2-3 coats might do it.

Upvote 0

Latest posts