Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Reach out to Jason. He's been more than helpful on my builds.

Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
There’s a guide spacing calculator on acid rods website in an excel spreadsheet that helps get spacing started. I use alps HXN for heavy rods and start with a 20, 16, 12, and finish with 10’s. I just did 6 thrasher crowbars that way and they performed very well on a big bluefin trip just earlier this month. Got an htr on the wrapper as we speak.

9E486D5D-DEC6-4535-8BED-300A6C280DF6.jpeg

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
There’s a guide spacing calculator on acid rods website in an excel spreadsheet that helps get spacing started. I use alps HXN for heavy rods and start with a 20, 16, 12, and finish with 10’s. I just did 6 thrasher crowbars that way and they performed very well on a big bluefin trip just earlier this month. Got an htr on the wrapper as we speak.

View attachment 1334972
I needed one of those down here in Mexico this week. The seeker I was using was a little soft and almost ruined my back!

Reactions: ☆THRASHER☆
Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
I needed one of those down here in Mexico this week. The seeker I was using was a little soft and almost ruined my back!
Those crowbar heavies did work on the blue fin for sure. Made short work of my 135# gutted and @jasper hickman s 200#. We had another buddy who landed one over 100# on a lamicrap and it kicked his ass for close to 2 hrs.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I like the titanium guys by American Tackle…. They have become a standard on a lot of the bigger rods.. catching fish over 300lbs…

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    John, are you referring to the new AmTack Virtus HD high frame guides? I have a set on hand for an unbuilt Thrasher CrowBar heavy blank. Stripper guide not available in size 25, logic being the frames are tall enough to clear larger reels?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Those crowbar heavies did work on the blue fin for sure. Made short work of my 135# gutted and @jasper hickman s 200#. We had another buddy who landed one over 100# on a lamicrap and it kicked his ass for close to 2 hrs.
    I’m planning on a long range out of San Diego. Just curious on the blank, length, and reel you guys were using for the jumbo BFT.

Reactions: kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    I was fortunate to get one of the first Crowbar blanks ever rolled from Jason. Both blanks are 7-6" in length. 12-20 size reel will work all the way to a 20-30 for the heavy blank. (We used Makaira's, Andros & Penn Torque's/Fathom 2 speeds) My Thrasher railrod is acid wrapped and works great. Killed BFT this season from 40 lbs to triple digits. Both underrated, you can even build the heavy as a kite rod...
    Reactions: A-K
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat
    Yes
    I’m planning on a long range out of San Diego. Just curious on the blank, length, and reel you guys were using for the jumbo BFT.
    Crowbar 7’6” heavy for the big fish stuff. 2 of us ran avet ex50, 2 of us ran penn visx 30. All did well. Crowbar light we ran fathom 40’s and a penn visx16.

A-K
    A-K
    Forgot to add awesome job to you and your buddies.

I’m looking hard at that blank.

Thanks.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I like the titanium guys by American Tackle…. They have become a standard on a lot of the bigger rods.. catching fish over 300lbs…
    I am talking about the Titanium Turbo guides. Seeker uses them on their Super Seekers and a lot of rod builders use them on high quality builds… I’ve built 30 rods probably with them…. From small Super Seeker 270 up to Super Seeker 3x5..

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I did quite a bit of research 20 years ago on the spiral (Roberts Wrap). You can make the transition much faster than you are doing it. The whole concept is to get the line pulling down as soon as you can to eliminate twist. The longer transition the more twist your adding where you really want the strength. I know the slow twist looks more balanced, and makes a cool photo for BD, but it’s not what the wrap was developed for..

Stripper/bumper/bottom and viola! You’ll be on bottom at your second guide and it works great on large rods…

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    This blank happens to be "in between" the light and heavy, initial run of blanks Jason had rolled at the Patriot factory before Brad and Jake started volume producing what's now on the website. Butt load of power in the latter 1/3rd of blank. (I received two of the first six or so original prototypes) I didn't experience twist whatsoever using 16 size reel with this configuration. Thanks for the input, might apply it since I have a heavy Crowbar railrod to wrap...
    Whatever you like… latter 1/3 my ass… load it up with a big ass fish and watch that fucker bend all the way to the foregrip..

The best wrappers in the world agree the transition should occur in 2 or three guides… Some use a bumper, others don’t like the look, but stretching it out to 5 guides is definitely not how it was developed.

As for twist you may or may not have felt with a 16 size reel…. Not relevant unless you had that fucker loaded up with a big ass fish testing the limits of the rod. That’s what it’s all about and that’s when the twist happens.

I’ve felt the twist of conventional rods for sure when fighting big fish….. Feels like you’re going to twist the fore grip off! 😂

Just research a bit… if you want the best rods available then apply the science and physics of the design.

Upvote 0

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
    Jul 23, 2014
    Renton WA
    Name
    Jason Champion
    Boat
    GW 272 sailfish
    can anyone recommend some guides and guide size for a building this rod. Rod will be used as a halibut rod and stand up trolling.
    I prefer Alps, TIXNZG, you should be able to order from utmost. 20, 16, 12 and three size 10 plus size 10 tip top. Here is the spacing I use from the tip top.

20211120_105205.jpg

Upvote 0

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
    Jul 23, 2014
    Renton WA
    Name
    Jason Champion
    Boat
    GW 272 sailfish
    As far as spiral wrap goes.
    To each their own. I do quite a bit of it but definitely not on everything. Acid rod is an excellent source for information and the guide spacing calculator works fairly well. http://acidrod.com/ I don't do the bumper style at all, my transition takes four guides from 0 to 180°. Some people use what is known as a neutral spiral wrap which eliminates the need for left or right handed rods. I think they look stupid, especially the bumper guide when there is a different way to achieve the exact same effect.

Components,
    Being in the Pacific Northwest, we have Batson (Alps) and Utmost enterprises is their local distributor, top quality and easy to get. The new TIHXNZG titanium guides are perfect for the railrods. I generally will stick with Alps components on anything conventional, Fuji is another great option especially on the heavy spinning rods.

I generally don't buy American tackle simply because of their name and the fact they sell nothing American.

I almost always answer or respond to text.
    Jason Champion 425 956 4756

For those of you that don't build rods, you can always just fucking buy one.
    www.thrasherrods.com

Upvote 0

Jasper H

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat
    30’ Osprey
    1428182E-0DA4-4D16-962E-369486FAFEFF.jpeg

I can attest to the Thrasher CrowBar Heavy being a kick ass rod! If you end up building your own like @punted coho the only recommendation I have is to build that forgrip a big as possible if you ever plan on using it as a rail rod.

A CrowBar heavy and Crowbar light makes a great combo for anyone looking at one of the long range tuna trips.

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    View attachment 1335502

I can attest to the Thrasher CrowBar Heavy being a kick ass rod! If you end up building your own like @punted coho the only recommendation I have is to build that forgrip a big as possible if you ever plan on using it as a rail rod.

A CrowBar heavy and Crowbar light makes a great combo for anyone looking at one of the long range tuna trips.

Awesome!

Was that caught on bait or iron?

Reactions: Jasper H
    Jasper H
    Jasper H
    iron bite, approx 400’ deep. It took me for a ride for sure!
    Reactions: A-K
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0