I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 5, 2009
    San Gabriel CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    BZ T-10
    I know a couple guys that absolutely love the Calstar GG 90J's

I love my GG 90J it is great for chucking all kinds of irons. I like using Salas 6XJrs or Tady 9s the best on that rod but it will throw a 45 or a 7X with no no problem.

Upvote 0

Billy V

Seabass Commando
    Aug 26, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    Parker 2310 DV / Kayak
    So I have my jig stick, I like it, but don't love it. I fish the psw909hxj. Paired with my TranX HG. I just don't feel like its a true jig stick. Its light, but has a pretty stiff tip. Just looking to see what your thoughts are on this rod. I see a lot of them. Debating on posting mine up for trade. Any input/opinions are greatly appreciated!

If it's not 9 or 10 ft. - Made in the U.S.A - and constructed from All Fiberglass - It's not a real jig stick.

-The Calstar 90J, 690, 100J Saber 540, 530
    542, 724 Harnell
    Seeker Ulua - Uncut 10 ft all glass, - Those are real jig sticks. Nothing loads up like all glass.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
    Aug 16, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Calstar 90J with a Newell 338 is what I use throws a jig a mile and will bust a big yellow's ass if he goes deep. you can really pull with this rod
    Yeah me too! :D

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
    Apr 18, 2012
    LA/Santa Cruz
    Name
    Shannon
    Boat
    Edgewater
    Enjoy them gents, and fish every jig stick anyone else is kind enough to lend out for a few casts. The glass 90j is bound to be out done someday but I haven't seen it yet. I try not to rant on every little thing about every jig stick blank, but I'll say that when the 90j gets bested I'll be in line for a new rod. Until then I'll be beating it up.

Reactions: junkyarded
    Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
    Name
    Lalas5
    Boat
    None
    The gg 90j sucks for 45s and 7x lights way too stiff. If ur sticking to wanting a calstar definitely go old school west coast 90j or 100j for big boys and if u want a lighter jigstick also on 30# 690j is nice for tady c and light stuff like that.
    I've had calstar 90j(slammed tip in car door) it was an awesome jigstick. I'm more into seeker for all my rods but that stick is one badass. Now I have 8' pinhead sd8 based off truline d8, then baby ulua super seeker 10'(it's a nice rod and loads well for a composite), now just bought one of the last super seeker white tiger 7x blanks to get wrapped for next season. I've used white tiger and it throws great and ton of backbone it's pretty dam close to 90j but not better lol. Next jigstick to build is 90j but that'll have to wait for next year. Btw I'm a deckhand and like others have stated ask other jigslingers to try out their set ups and see what u like and don't. Many will be happy to let u try them out. When I'm working I have plenty of ppl ask about what we all use and want to try them which we do for a couple reasons: one we get to see I guys hook up on our rods and know what it looks like and two so u guys get to try out other gear. I have all kinds of jig reels: Newelled out Jigmaster 500 with all 338 bars base gears 5 stack drag ss guts, progear 541, and Shimano torium 20(2 of them). Go ask next time on a boat and see. I know many deckhands and captains in San Diego have trini 20s which r prob the best reel for jigs but r pricey. Theyre r amazing reels if u can afford it.

Reactions: mkfriedrich
    Upvote 0

[email protected]

allwyas fishing
    Jul 30, 2008
    Point loma
    Name
    frank
    Boat
    None
    Can't go wrong with a calstar 90j or 100j! I own a 90j and have fished it for years and love it! Truly designed for fishing so cal yellows, I am going to be purchasing a calstar 100j mag, it is a 10ft composite blank, hhvery light and has great back bone for pulling on slug yellows! I use a avet if on my 90j and will use a shimano torium 20 on the 100 mag! Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    For years I loved my GG90J. It took sometime to learn how to load it up to maximize for distance. I paired it with a Trinidad 20 DC. I found it perfect for casting 7Xs. By the way, I only throw 7X, I got tired of buying 45s that would not swim. I was introduced to a Teramar TMC 90 XH a few years back and found it to be very similar to the GG90J but much lighter. I now pair that with a high speed Tranx for straight spectra. I have replaced the GG90J with a Teramar TMC 100XH. It is my go to 40# mono jig stick with the Trinidad 20 DC. The new Teramars are very different. It took me many years and multiple rods to find the ones that work best for me. If you can find an old 9' or 10' Teramar XH you might find it right for you too.

Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
    Name
    Lalas5
    Boat
    None
    Can't go wrong with a calstar 90j or 100j! I own a 90j and have fished it for years and love it! Truly designed for fishing so cal yellows, I am going to be purchasing a calstar 100j mag, it is a 10ft composite blank, hhvery light and has great back bone for pulling on slug yellows! I use a avet if on my 90j and will use a shimano torium 20 on the 100 mag! Hope this helps
    What avet do u use?
    I've had my torium 20 for a month or so and it cast great. Right now it's on my sd8 pinhead and I can cast out my 100 yard topshot of 40# izorline xxx. I think it'll kill on that 100mag! I'm building super seeker white tiger 7x for my torium then I want either 90j or 100j blank to build another little heavier jigstick

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    For years I loved my GG90J. It took sometime to learn how to load it up to maximize for distance. I paired it with a Trinidad 20 DC. I found it perfect for casting 7Xs. By the way, I only throw 7X, I got tired of buying 45s that would not swim. I was introduced to a Teramar TMC 90 XH a few years back and found it to be very similar to the GG90J but much lighter. I now pair that with a high speed Tranx for straight spectra. I have replaced the GG90J with a Teramar TMC 100XH. It is my go to 40# mono jig stick with the Trinidad 20 DC. The new Teramars are very different. It took me many years and multiple rods to find the ones that work best for me. If you can find an old 9' or 10' Teramar XH you might find it right for you too.
    You need to buy some JRI irons.

Reactions: Bigfishhateme
    Upvote 0

[email protected]

allwyas fishing
    Jul 30, 2008
    Point loma
    Name
    frank
    Boat
    None
    What avet do u use?
    I've had my torium 20 for a month or so and it cast great. Right now it's on my sd8 pinhead and I can cast out my 100 yard topshot of 40# izorline xxx. I think it'll kill on that 100mag! I'm building super seeker white tiger 7x for my torium then I want either 90j or 100j blank to build another little heavier jigstick
    I use a avet jx mc on my 90j I can get it out a good 70 yards with no wind, it casts good for a lever drag I only fish Avets this torium is my first shimano I'm stoked

Reactions: speyman
    Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
    Name
    Lalas5
    Boat
    None
    I use a avet jx mc on my 90j I can get it out a good 70 yards with no wind, it casts good for a lever drag I only fish Avets this torium is my first shimano I'm stoked
    Avet's r nice reels. And I can cast those pretty far but still prefer star drag for jig reel. The torium is a bad ass jig reel. Mine has a 150 yard topshot and on my 8' pinhead d8 I can get 100 yards out. Once I put it on my white tiger 7x I'll really be able to sling it far. U will love the reel it's smooth good drag and casts like a dream. My spool tension knob is backed off almost all the way I don't like any restrictions besides my thumb

Reactions: bjamin
    Upvote 0

GClev

Newbie for Life
    Nov 21, 2015
    LA County
    Name
    Gary C
    Boat
    HMS Hotspur
    90J%20blanks_zpsetxisc3d.jpg

Three90Js-2_zpswgwzeap5.jpg

Three90Js-1_zps6ygd1xhq.jpg

You decide.

Reactions: Bigfishhateme
    Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
    Name
    Lalas5
    Boat
    None
    90J%20blanks_zpsetxisc3d.jpg

Three90Js-2_zpswgwzeap5.jpg

Three90Js-1_zps6ygd1xhq.jpg

You decide.
    Nice post. All the good info. They all seem the same bend so seems more confusing on which one lol. I want to try that btg90jmag and see how it is. I don't like the btg90j but do like glass 90j. So many options hard to choose.

Upvote 0

GClev

Newbie for Life
    Nov 21, 2015
    LA County
    Name
    Gary C
    Boat
    HMS Hotspur
    Addendum:
    Retail
    BT90J - $70-80.
    BTG90J - $95-105.
    BTG90JMag - $105-115.

Opinion: Manufacturers make what sells well, not necessarily what works well. The higher the price, the bigger the margin. Good luck finding a T90J. I took the tour of 21 tackle stores, found one, and bought it.

The other opinions in this thread vary widely. The blanks are remarkably similar.

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
    Aug 17, 2006
    TORRANCE
    Name
    DAVE
    Boat
    SOLD IT
    Gary, does this list look right? You seem to have done a little more research than I have.

9'
    T550 (GLASS) 20-80
    T690J (GLASS) 20-40
    T90J (GLASS) 30-60
    GF900M (COMPOSITE) 20-40
    GF900H (COMPOSITE) 30-60
    BTG690J (COMPOSITE) 20-50
    BTG90J (COMPOSITE) 30-60
    BTG90JMag (COMPOSITE) 30-60

10'
    T100 (GLASS) 20-50
    T540 (GLASS) 20-50