Thoughts on the 90j?

mkfriedrich

Jun 26, 2013
San Diego CA
Name
michael friedrich
Boat
Liberty
So I have my jig stick, I like it, but don't love it. I fish the psw909hxj. Paired with my TranX HG. I just don't feel like its a true jig stick. Its light, but has a pretty stiff tip. Just looking to see what your thoughts are on this rod. I see a lot of them. Debating on posting mine up for trade. Any input/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
909xhj is still a good versatile rod although I would miss glassy feelings that you can get from ulua or 90j.
They are heavier than yours though. You might not want them anymore after whipping those rods for a while on a hot day.
Try them out when you have a chance. You may want to ask fellow jig throwers for quick trials when you see those on a trip next time. You should be able to feel the differences such as overall weight, bending characteristics, rod tip actions, and etc compared to graphite sticks like yours.

BTW, Tranx is not a true CA jig stick reel either. Older guys may think that it's made for people who can't cast. lol (j/k. maybe I'm old school.)

Upvote 0

teddy1130

Nov 29, 2011
CA,USA
Name
TS
Boat
none
Awesome rod...wouldn't trade or sell for any other jig stick. I have mine paired with fathom 25 narrow and a 100j with gold trini 16. Both are lighter than expected.

Reactions: Fish Asassin
Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    So I have my jig stick, I like it, but don't love it. I fish the psw909hxj. Paired with my TranX HG. I just don't feel like its a true jig stick. Its light, but has a pretty stiff tip. Just looking to see what your thoughts are on this rod. I see a lot of them. Debating on posting mine up for trade. Any input/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Not a fan of the GG90J.

I traded then sold the rod.

The rod i found to0 stiff for extra distance fishing a tady 45 salas 7x light jigs. The rod would only be good for 7x heavy jigs. Only these heavy jigs would load it correctly to cast appropriately.

A friend of mine had the regular glass 90j and it threw the light jigs much better. I ended up liking standard better than gg. Sweet glass jiggy rod

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I liked my 90j, it flung iron well with a Saltist 35. But man, that was a HEAVY combo. Hated throwing it all day. I just lost that rod to an unfortunate kayaking ordeal but I will be replacing with an 8', much lighter stick with a new Progear or something.

Reactions: mkfriedrich
    Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
    Aug 17, 2006
    TORRANCE
    Name
    DAVE
    Boat
    SOLD IT
    So in regards to the O.P's question, the 90j (BTG90J) is whats used on Calstars GG60J rods which is a glass/carbon composite. Is the (T90J) that's used on the West Coast (DH90J) an all glass?

Upvote 0

mkfriedrich

Jun 26, 2013
    San Diego CA
    Name
    michael friedrich
    Boat
    Liberty
    Nice. So I throw the 45s well with it, but I feel I would get more distance with the 90j. I do like how light my phenix is. And I throw the Tranx. No shame. I also have my trini20a as well. Just prefer the Tranx when tossing iron. Thanks for all the input guys!! One more question, can you really pull on brutes with these glass rods? I hear they are backbreakers for pulling big slugs.

Reactions: Steve Dee
    Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
    Aug 17, 2006
    TORRANCE
    Name
    DAVE
    Boat
    SOLD IT
    big difference in the glass 90j and the gg.. the gg imo sucks

Thank you, that's exactly why I asked the question, everyone wants to sell or buy one (me included) but no one really says which blank. Big difference in all glass or composite

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Good question, Michael.

Yes, you can get seriously worked by a good sized fish on any 9' to 10' rod. With big fish on a 90j, point the rod tip at fish and wind. This is the best way to gain line with less effort. If you are patient, lay it on the rail and let the rod recoil gain line.

I like a GG90J with a few inches cut from the butt end. Makes it a little smoother for casting light jigs and easier to fit any reel on it. I use a tricked-out Progear 541 with 40 lbs. Izor clear.

- Jeff Burroughs

Nice. So I throw the 45s well with it, but I feel I would get more distance with the 90j. I do like how light my phenix is. And I throw the Tranx. No shame. I also have my trini20a as well. Just prefer the Tranx when tossing iron. Thanks for all the input guys!! One more question, can you really pull on brutes with these glass rods? I hear they are backbreakers for pulling big slugs.

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
    Apr 18, 2012
    LA/Santa Cruz
    Name
    Shannon
    Boat
    Edgewater
    I'm going to throw another vote for the fiberglass 90j. I've never liked the way the composite rods cast and some folks will tell you to whip cast it like a bass rod but that's their thing. The weight difference isn't noticeable in my opinion because you hold the weight of the rod by pinning the butt end between your upper arm and your ribs and ya keep the tip light by turning the handle. Or you go to the gym.

The jig stick thing keeps coming up, but borrow the rod you want for a couple casts and decide. We all have different styles but always try before you buy.

Reactions: 909MARIO
    Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    N/A
    The new composite rods are pretty awesome. They're lighter and they cast better than the all glass rods. I really want a gg690j or a 9 or 10 foot UC rod. The monster and the wahoo have a lot of tip and load up like an old school rod. You could also get a super seeker copy of a Harnell if you really want a throwback rod.

I used to fish a glass rod and they're pretty damn heavy. You should be able to borrow one on any SD boat since most guys fish them.

Upvote 0

matta57

hack
    May 30, 2010
    goleta
    Name
    matt
    Boat
    none
    I have a glass 90j and I really like it. I use it with a JX 4.6, and sometimes with an okuma cortez 10. it is not that heavy, and it feels awesomely powerful when on a fish. it is so fat and hollow that it feels like it would float if i dropped it in the water. i also have a glass 690j, which is friggin awesome but only for light irons.

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 2, 2013
    The OC
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Not a fan of the GG90J.

I traded then sold the rod.

The rod i found to0 stiff for extra distance fishing a tady 45 salas 7x light jigs. The rod would only be good for 7x heavy jigs. Only these heavy jigs would load it correctly to cast appropriately.

A friend of mine had the regular glass 90j and it threw the light jigs much better. I ended up liking standard better than gg. Sweet glass jiggy rod
    You used that rod to throw 6x Jr. 70 yards...drop to bottom...

Upvote 0