I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
for
80lb I would get a Talica 16. 20 for 100lb 16 cast better.

pele

May 20, 2009
Ventura
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
Absolutely love it for flat falls on the bluefin;well balanced and lite.Of course is cool for other applications-just the right size imho.I stood next to a guy who used one to slay a solid 300 lb yellowfin in PV.I knew then I was gonna get one.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Absolutely love it for flat falls on the bluefin;well balanced and lite.Of course is cool for other applications-just the right size imho.I stood next to a guy who used one to slay a solid 300 lb yellowfin in PV.I knew then I was gonna get one.
Dope, that is actually the application I'm looking to use it for the most! Hopefully I can use it for cows too.

calicobassguy

No pants on
Jan 8, 2011
Moorpark/CA/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Bendo
In addition to the extra line capacity, the Talica 20 two speed has the more desired gear ratio in "low" compared to the 16. That is important when you are finishing off a large fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
The Talica 20 two speed has a more desired "low" gear ratio compared to the 16. That is extremely important when you are finishing off a large fish.
I was wondering about this! Thanks for the reassurance! That is one of the things that kinda made me question myself about buying it is the gear ratio.

pukahd

Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
After experiencing a larger BF with the TAL25 with 100# I ended up selling it and replaced it with a VISX20 and never looked back. The low gear of TAL at 2:3:1 is still too high vs a 1:4:1 of the VISX. MAK20 is even slight lower at 1:3 or so. I suppose you can send it to Cal Sheets for Lower 1:6:1 gears but thats about +$170 more money to add into the reel.

Last edited:

pele

May 20, 2009
Ventura
Name
ken
Boat
I had a Tal25 also which I sold here so I could justify the more ergonomic 20.
As far as the gear ratio thing and for that matter a couple of other adv/disadvs
the Maks or the Penns are stronger in that category without a doubt.But jigging
with those reels isn't an option because of weight and bulk.I have both those reels and have loved them for their own strong points.It's all about intended use.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I had a Tal25 also which I sold here so I could justify the more ergonomic 20.
As far as the gear ratio thing and for that matter a couple of other adv/disadvs
the Maks or the Penns are stronger in that category without a doubt.But jigging
with those reels isn't an option because of weight and bulk.I have both those reels and have loved them for their own strong points.It's all about intended use.
I also had a Makaira 20SEa, ended up selling bit because I'm not ganna be doing cow fishing as much as I thought. I'm hoping I can use the tac 20 for cows too though.

chavid

May 6, 2013
Rancho cucamonga
Name
Dave
Boat
Pursuit 315 OS
I have both the 20ii and also 25ii. I prefer to use the 20 over the 25. Yes you can get others brand of reels for less but you wont get the smoothness and the light weight like you do with the Talica's. Both my Talica I had lower gear and blueprint done by Cal's. If moneys no object and like to have something special get the Talica 20 replace the handle with Tiburon Tbar use it this season. Once the season over get it over to Cal's and get the lower gear and Blueprint done. Its will be night and day after Cal's finish with it. Never scare of a fish ever again. LOL

Talica.jpg

Reactions: Cheech and pukahd

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I have both the 20ii and also 25ii. I prefer to use the 20 over the 25. Yes you can get others brand of reels for less but you wont get the smoothness and the light weight like you do with the Talica's. Both my Talica I had lower gear and blueprint done by Cal's. If moneys no object and like to have something special get the Talica 20 replace the handle with Tiburon Tbar use it this season. Once the season over get it over to Cal's and get the lower gear and Blueprint done. Its will be night and day after Cal's finish with it. Never scare of a fish ever again. LOL

View attachment 1197991
How is it without the conversion?

bigreddog

Jul 18, 2005
On a river
Name
Cliff
Boat
Long Range
I had the Cal's lower gear ratio low gears installed and blueprinted by Cal, and I did not like it at all. They were noisy and not nearly as smooth as the stock gear set. I also found the Cal's gearset to be too low ratio for Guadalupe fishing. I took the Cal's set out and replaced the gears with the stock gears and returned the reel to like new function. I have caught YFT to 185# on the stock gears, but it was tough to turn the handle. If you are strong, experienced in pulling on big fish, and use a heavy rod the T20 is capable of catching large fish. For me the sweet spot for that reel is for sub 150# tuna.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I had the Cal's lower gear ratio low gears installed and blueprinted by Cal, and I did not like it at all. They were noisy and not nearly as smooth as the stock gear set. I also found the Cal's gearset to be too low ratio for Guadalupe fishing. I took the Cal's set out and replaced the gears with the stock gears and returned the reel to like new function. I have caught YFT to 185# on the stock gears, but it was tough to turn the handle. If you are strong, experienced in pulling on big fish, and use a heavy rod the T20 is capable of catching large fish. For me the sweet spot for that reel is for sub 150# tuna.
Even with the power handle? I'll probably buy and install the tac 50s handle for it.

chavid

May 6, 2013
Rancho cucamonga
Name
Dave
Boat
Pursuit 315 OS
That is where Cal's work shine when the really big fish on the end of the line. Turning the handle with Cal's gear is much stronger than the stock one. The lower low gear help winch them during the deep circle. I agree with bigreddog that it a bit more noisier than the stock. The Talica 50 handle is way to big for that reel. I like to my reel/rod well balance for better casting and not so bulky . To bad I am far from you or I'll let you test out mine. I suggest you go to the store and try it out before you buy. GL!

Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
I prefer the 20 to the 25 most of the time!

I've hooked and landed a few larger grade bluefin, including 1 cow on the 20!

Great 80-100lb flyline reel.

Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
I wasn't scared of the reel failing, the only real issue I had was the gnarly blisters I had on my palm from the uncomfortable handle.

The best upgrade for that reel is the Tac50 handle.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
I wasn't scared of the reel failing, the only real issue I had was the gnarly blisters I had on my palm from the uncomfortable handle.

I'll be using it for Flatfalls and Flylineing, should.be perfect.

chavid

May 6, 2013
Rancho cucamonga
Name
Dave
Boat
Pursuit 315 OS

Give the Tiburon handle a try. It fit the 20 perfectly and no more blister. The Tac 50 handle is too big imo.

pele

May 20, 2009
Ventura
Name
ken
Boat
Keep in mind that the oversize handles are better for cranking that fish,but not when winding fast on jigs;you have to pick your poison.

Reactions: Mk6_Robbie