Fishing Forums, Articles and Reports
Jan 7, 2010
San Diego CA
Name
Advertising
Boat
none
Thoughts On Rat Yellows
Five Star Fish Processing posted the above picture yesterday on Facebook. Alongside this picture they wrote: Remember Five Star does not accept Yellowtail or Tuna under 10 Lbs. Please spread the word. Catch and release guys. For one- they are babies, for two- your yield to that fish is 10% max…. Let those things grow so

The post Thoughts On Rat Yellows appeared first on BD Outdoors.

Read the full article here...

Reactions: eric harner
Upvote 0

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Idyllwild, CA USA
www.bluepacifictackle.com
Name
John
Boat
not mine
I personally don't keep them. These are good for a samitch.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    My thought is only a douchebag calls baby yellows "rats".

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Iv'e heard both sides of the argument and the only thing I have to say for sure is "Sacked up yellows don't get any bigger"

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sep 22, 2003
    San Diego,Ca
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    complicated
    I really wish that the party boats would STRONGLY encourage catch and release of those baby YT

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I really wish that the party boats would STRONGLY encourage catch and release of those baby YT
    They have no incentive to. I know if a particular boat did that I would put it over all the other boats but most people don't care. Sucks, but it's true.

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
    May 19, 2006
    Crowley Lake, CA
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    Gone but not forgotten
    I applaud 5 Star for their stance. All the more reason why they are my processor.

I believe it is really shortsighted to catch and keep juvenile fish; fish counts be damned. I do not fish for limits, just for the number of fish I can put in the freezer and eat until my next trip. Just because it is legal doesn't make it morally correct..bring it on haters!

Upvote 0

Andriy Proshchenko

Almost A Member
    Sep 27, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Andriy
    Boat
    none
    "crew members too that sometimes pressure people to keep them for the counts." - the last thing that crew members should do is to pressure paying customers to make boat counts look high.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I applaud 5 Star for their stance. All the more reason why they are my processor.

I believe it is really shortsighted to catch and keep juvenile fish; fish counts be damned. I do not fish for limits, just for the number of fish I can put in the freezer and eat until my next trip. Just because it is legal doesn't make it morally correct..bring it on haters!
    You won't get any hate from me Chris. I saw a party boat 2 years ago that was pushing pretty hard the keep of juvy bonito, geez. I just don't think they wanted to come back with empty sacks--they forget it does not reflect badly on them to come home empty, if they did their best--but sacks of juvenile anything is what makes anyone look bad--IMO. As you say, haters are welcome to disagree, even if they don't want to keep it civil.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sep 22, 2003
    San Diego,Ca
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    complicated
    its not about the counts they can still count the fish as "released" Its a combo of ignorance and side money............BAD business

Upvote 0
    Oct 27, 2014
    Nikiski, AK
    Name
    Austin Easley
    Boat
    Boat Ho.
    They have no incentive to. I know if a particular boat did that I would put it over all the other boats but most people don't care. Sucks, but it's true.

I was on the commander overnight 2 weeks ago and during the brief the captain (Josh) stated that it was our choice but he encouraged us to let the rat yellows go. When my buddy and I caught a couple rats the deck hand asked when it came to color if we were going to keep or release it. Of course most people on the boat still kept them but I was shocked that the captain even said anything. We released both of ours.

Upvote 0