Fat Daddy

Almost A Member
Sep 27, 2004
Corona
Name
Andy
Boat Name
Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
My existing system is old....like me. Time to upgrade.

Here is what I have:
Furuno 582L
Furuno 1751MK
Furuno GP1650
Furuno GP36
ICom 422
Plenty of fish die with this stuff but its time to move on.

Looking at a MFD.

I am leaning towards the new TZTouch3 and looking at the 12. Budget is about 10k. I am not opposed to Simrad or Raymarine but more familiar with Furuno.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat Name
23' Center Console

Here is what I have:
Furuno 582L
Furuno 1751MK
Furuno GP1650
Furuno GP36
ICom 422

Looking at a MFD.

I am leaning towards the new TZTouch3 and looking at the 12. Budget is about 10k. I am not opposed to Simrad or Raymarine but more familiar with Furuno.

Thoughts?
Stay with Furuno. They are at the top of the pack despite retail user opinions. Majority of top commercial fishing and charter boats run Furuno.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat Name
Mikelson 43’
We have a full complement of newer Furuno gear. Two TZ Touch MFD’s on the bridge, I think 17” and one 12” in the cockpit. Two are TZ Touch2’s and we just had a Tz3 installed a week ago, so we could have access to Sirius XM fish mapping along with weather. We also installed a new NAV Pilot system, although I can’t recall the model at the moment. Debating on installing the extra 17” TZ2 in the salon, so we can see a radar on the anchor and for route planning etc.

Overall I am very happy with the equipment, but I don’t have much to compare it to that is in the same ballpark. Some of the equipment was on the boat when purchased, so it was self-selecting and we added onto the existing system. Last boat had Raymarine, between the two I much prefer the Furuno.

Best way to describe it. For an almost laughable amount of functions and settings, it is pretty intuitive after you get the broad strokes. I could use all the major functions without too much trouble on the first day, but I am still playing with settings. Luckily it has built in help and lots of videos available. Seems all of them have more options than I am accustomed to using nowadays. Some of the "new to me" tech is pretty incredible.

Garrison

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None

Here is what I have:
Furuno 582L
Furuno 1751MK
Furuno GP1650
Furuno GP36
ICom 422

Looking at a MFD.

Thoughts?

What you need to do first is to determine what you want out of your new system and the expectations. The best upgrade might be your transducer if you are looking into an improved sonar performance. If your boat doesn't have a 1KW Airmar B175HW or similar chirp transducer, you should consider it. Upgrading to a chirped sonar is a must for most fishermen. It basically is like going from low definition TV to a high definition TV. It gives you better target separation and resolution compared to a conventional sonar. The amount of sound energy in the water is greater than a conventional sonar, so you will have better performance. For 3D, the Furuno DFF-3D multibeam sonar is one of the better sonar for 3D capabilities. However, other vendors are not that far off. As for radar, Furuno is also well known for their radars also. Furuno is not always on the cutting edge of technology, but they have been a reliable workhorse for many people.

As for ease of use, I believe the Garmin and Humminbird fish finders are the easiest to use. Next would be Furuno, Simrad and finally Raymarine. Raymarine makes reliable systems, but their menus on the older electronics can be confusing.

In my opinion, Navico units (Simrad/Lowance/B&G) are more cutting edge where they throw in the latest features and internet integration into the units. In the past, they have been known to update generations of their units in almost 1-2 year periods. The Simrad EVO3 (and EVO3s) series are their latest versions and has been out in the market for many years. They have also been very popular because of the budget Simrad GO series which gives many of the same performance as the EVO series without the networking capabilities. The good thing about Simrad/Lowrance is they share practically the same menu structures in their whole product line and the support is good from the user community. However, their tech support lines can be lacking at the lower tier levels which is expected from most companies. Once you get to the higher tier level support, they are more knowledgeable.

Garmin and Humminbird is slightly slower in rolling out new generation of products. They are slower in releasing new generations of their units, but have mostly caught up with Simrad units in terms of latest features. These units are definitely easier to navigate. When I first switched to Simrad, I used to complain that Simrad tends to hide the configuration deep into nested drop down menus while Humminbird is a lot more user friendly.

Most of these fish finders use similar CPUs. They are mostly single, dual or quad core ARM-based systems. They are also running a version of Linux. Most of the difference are their firmware and connectors used to interface with the CPU. Some use scroll wheel like Simrad while others use buttons like Lowrance units. I personally find the scroll wheel on the Simrad EVO3 much easier and faster to navigate especially when zooming. Its a pain to use multi point zoom on a boat when your fingers are wet or full of fish slime. I always miss the scroll wheel when I go back to testing on the Lowrance units.

I don't believe you can go wrong if you modernized to newer Furuno, Garmin, Humminbird, Simrad or even Raymarine. It really comes down to your own personal preference. The best way is to test it out on someone's boat or in West Marine. Once you figure out what you like the most, it comes down to check the current prices against your budget. The main thing is to get the largest screen that can fit your boat and budget. The larger screen area makes it much easier to read and use, especially when you have split windows.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
I have had Raymarine (years ago) but more recently always Furuno for navigation equipment (and Simrad A/P and Icom radios). The Furunos included stand alone units, pre-NavNet 3D units and most recently TZT3 units. I have also spent a lot of time with the latest Garmin equipment. I am not a fan of the Garmin performance, but do admit their interfaces are most intuitive.

IMO, the Furuno hardware is and always has been better than any of the competitors, especially in fishfinders and radars. But, the user interfaces with Furuno have been more difficult, in part because they are necessarily more complicated in order to offer more control, though largely because they are just not very user friendly. The user interfaces with the latest Furuno MFDs (TZT3) are a head and shoulders better than anything they offered before. But the interfaces are different enough that your prior experience with Furuno equipment won't be of much help, and might even slow you down until you get used to the new system. I analogize it to the transition from a calculator that uses reverse polish notation (I hope that isn't a slur and sincerely believe that is what it is called) to the more user friendly calculators most people use. If you are used to RPN, using a regular calculator can be cumbersome.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat Name
Mikelson 43’
I have had Raymarine (years ago) but more recently always Furuno for navigation equipment (and Simrad A/P and Icom radios). The Furunos included stand alone units, pre-NavNet 3D units and most recently TZT3 units. I have also spent a lot of time with the latest Garmin equipment. I am not a fan of the Garmin performance, but do admit their interfaces are most intuitive.

IMO, the Furuno hardware is and always has been better than any of the competitors, especially in fishfinders and radars. But, the user interfaces with Furuno have been more difficult, in part because they are necessarily more complicated in order to offer more control, though largely because they are just not very user friendly. The user interfaces with the latest Furuno MFDs (TZT3) are a head and shoulders better than anything they offered before. But the interfaces are different enough that your prior experience with Furuno equipment won't be of much help, and might even slow you down until you get used to the new system. I analogize it to the transition from a calculator that uses reverse polish notation (I hope that isn't a slur and sincerely believe that is what it is called) to the more user friendly calculators most people use. If you are used to RPN, using a regular calculator can be cumbersome.
Fat Daddy,

🤔 In recognition of your obvious affection for UCLA, and in light of the name “Traveler” proudly emblazoned in cardinal and gold on the back of a boat being discussed. You may want to request photographic evidence to corroborate this story. How do you know this guy isn’t happily running a full suite of Garmin electronics at the moment? It was a pretty tough season for some last year!😉

Garrison

Last edited:
Reactions: MYNomad
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
Fat Daddy,

🤔 In recognition of your obvious affection for UCLA, and in light of the name “Traveler” proudly emblazoned in cardinal and gold on the back of a boat being discussed. You may want to request photographic evidence to corroborate this story. How do you know this guy isn’t happily running a full suite of Garmin electronics at the moment? It was a pretty tough season for some last year!😉

Garrison
Pretty funny commentary. My anonymity has been blown. I hadn't noticed Fat Daddy's UCLA affiliation, and I don't deny mine for USC, but I still wouldn't intentionally give bad advice on something as important as boat electronics.

Reactions: Garrison
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat Name
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I highly recommend you get a VHF radio with an AIS receiver and connect it to the N2K network you are going to add. Now your MFD will display all ships/boats that are transmitting AIS. This beautifully augments radar as you don’t have to interpret blobs if they are transmitting AIS.

Reactions: Fisha
Upvote 0

Bend Session

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    I used to be a full Furuno boat.Tried Simrad Evos some years ago and am now on EVO 3s.Have not had a reason to switch back.FWIW,Tom
    Tom - do you think the higher cost of the EVO3s is better than the EVO3?

I am thinking of saving a little money and purchasing the EVO3

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Tom - do you think the higher cost of the EVO3s is better than the EVO3?

I am thinking of saving a little money and purchasing the EVO3

The EVO3s only has a faster CPU compared to the EVO3. I don't think its worth the update. Until the EVO4 comes out, I don't see a need to update from EVO3. They work just fine. It may take a fraction of a second or two longer, but its not worth the extra thousand for that speed.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    We bought a couple of EVO3 from Semperfifishing and it was a great deal. He must get them from the back of a pickup truck.

😜

Upvote 0

Fat Daddy

Almost A Member
    Sep 27, 2004
    Corona
    Name
    Andy
    Boat Name
    Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
    Pretty funny commentary. My anonymity has been blown. I hadn't noticed Fat Daddy's UCLA affiliation, and I don't deny mine for USC, but I still wouldn't intentionally give bad advice on something as important as boat electronics.
    Funny. I admit I was a hardcore Bruin fan since childhood. That said, WAS is the word. Need to switch my avatar....kid plays at Boise. I am now a 100% blueblood Boise State Bronco. But if he transfers.....well....all bets are off.

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
    May 21, 2008
    Temecula
    Name
    Garrison
    Boat Name
    Mikelson 43’
    Funny. I admit I was a hardcore Bruin fan since childhood. That said, WAS is the word. Need to switch my avatar....kid plays at Boise. I am now a 100% blueblood Boise State Bronco. But if he transfers.....well....all bets are off.
    As long as you’re not prone to photosensitive epileptic fits from shades of blue and orange, especially on the flat screen.😁 What an awesome place to have your kid play ball. You must be proud.👍🏻

Garrison

Upvote 0

Clark70

May 27, 2020
    St George, UT
    Name
    Clark Spilker
    Boat Name
    Jenny Blue

Here is what I have:
    Furuno 582L
    Furuno 1751MK
    Furuno GP1650
    Furuno GP36
    ICom 422

Looking at a MFD.

Thoughts?
    I just purchased 2 TZ3 screens 12 and 16 also got the multi beam Trans ducer

Clark70

May 27, 2020
    St George, UT
    Name
    Clark Spilker
    Boat Name
    Jenny Blue
    I just purchased two TZ3s a 16 and a12. I also got the moltibeam sonar and the 275. I have had problems with interfearance when running high frequency. It has been one year and no fix from furuno. Stay away from the mutibeam

Upvote 0

Tranquility

Tranquility
    Mar 13, 2004
    Calif
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat Name
    Century 3200WA
    Just upgraded to Furuno Tzt3. Two 12 inch screens new radar and autopilot. First time for me having brand new up to date electronics and so far I love my new system. Still just learning to run it all but seems very intuitive so far. It’s all installed on a 32 foot cuddy cabin.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I just purchased two TZ3s a 16 and a12. I also got the moltibeam sonar and the 275. I have had problems with interfearance when running high frequency. It has been one year and no fix from furuno. Stay away from the mutibeam

I can see why you would have interference with the DFF3D transducer and the 275 transducer. The DFF3D operates at 165KHz and the 275 transducer at high chirp is from 150 to 250 KHz. The two operating frequencies have overlaps.

You can still run the low chirp (42-65 KHz) at the same time and it shouldn't interfere with your DFF3D signal. Another option is to go with a fixed frequency instead of chirp and set it at 200 to 250 KHz (as far from 165KHz as possible). This way, the two frequencies don't overlap and you should be fine. You may not get as good of a target separation compared with the chirp setup, but it should run without interference. I know Simrad allows you to set a fixed frequency on a chirp transducer, but I'm not sure if the Furuno systems have that same feature.

If your TZ3 allows you to adjust your sonar chirp frequency range, you can set the frequency range from 175KHz to 250KHz. This way, there is no overlap on the lower side to the 165KHz signal from the DFF3D. Some sonars don't allow you to do that because of the XID chip inside the transducer automatically identifies the transducer and the MFD sets the settings based on the XID. One way to hack this is to disconnect the XID signal pin on the harness so you can manually set the transducer parameters. By disconnecting the XID, the transducer becomes a generic transducer that you have to manually change the settings. If you are in this mode, just be careful to select the right frequency range.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0