Thoughts on a SS6480XH-8' (40-60) with a Accurate BV2-600 and 80 lb braid

Eial Sauer

Jul 14, 2019
Calabasas, CA
Name
Eial Sauer
Boat
N/A
So I'm thinking of getting this setup, let me know what you guys think. Other Super seeker rod recommendations or even other brands, etc. I saw that the Bv2-600 could hold about 425yds of 80lb so I thought that would suit it pretty well. Yes, the rod is 40-60lb but I saw someone else on BD using this rod as a #100 rail rod. Not planning on using it for that heavy of fishing though. Probably gonna use it for YOYO, Flat fall, deep live bait (40-80lb fluoro).

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening Eial,

You might want to check out the United Composites RGP 76 Predator or the RGP 80 Terminator.. Amazing power to weight. The Predator can fish heavy 40 but will be better at 50 and 60 with possible light 80 pound work.. The Terminator is a true 50/60 pound rod that can fish light 80. Phenomenal rods for the work you want to do.. There is also a CX 80 Raptor but you would need to build that custom as it only come in a blank.

You are not far from Us in Van Nuys, You are welcome to PM me and I will send you my phone number.. We can chat or I can see you at the shop to show you the options from other companies as well such as Calstar, Okuma, Phenix, Graftech and more.

Best of luck with Your decision

Respectfully,

Jamie

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
I have a ss6480xh and it is physically a bit heavy. I fish 60# on it usually and its like a light rail rod for me, day time sinker rigs and smaller flat falls. It took a while to find a reel seat to fit the rod and that was narrow enough to get the clamp on. The rod is just a lot of weight for what I wanted and in the future Ill wrap a lighter UC rod to replace it.

Eial Sauer

Jul 14, 2019
Calabasas, CA
Name
Eial Sauer
Boat
N/A
I have a ss6480xh and it is physically a bit heavy. I fish 60# on it usually and its like a light rail rod for me, day time sinker rigs and smaller flat falls. It took a while to find a reel seat to fit the rod and that was narrow enough to get the clamp on. The rod is just a lot of weight for what I wanted and in the future Ill wrap a lighter UC rod to replace it.
Do you think the SS6470XH-7’ (50-80) would be a better #80 rod?

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
Do you think the SS6470XH-7’ (50-80) would be a better #80 rod?

It might be but I have no personal experience. I like my rail rods to be 7'6" personally. That extra 6" out and away from the bottom of the boat could be helpful when on the rail. I think UC has the best lightweight options for heavy rods imo. I love seekers and calstars for lighter work and because they feel 'familiar' to me, but I think UC is the way to go for the heavy stuff.

Upvote 0

]-[ustler

Jan 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Skipjack24
So I'm thinking of getting this setup, let me know what you guys think. Other Super seeker rod recommendations or even other brands, etc. I saw that the Bv2-600 could hold about 425yds of 80lb so I thought that would suit it pretty well. Yes, the rod is 40-60lb but I saw someone else on BD using this rod as a #100 rail rod. Not planning on using it for that heavy of fishing though. Probably gonna use it for YOYO, Flat fall, deep live bait (40-80lb fluoro).
I just ordered 500 yard spool of Powerpro moss green Maxcuatro 50lb. Just came in off a 3 day trip on the Spirit of Adventure and a very exp angler was using on his gear Awesome to fly line with a 25lb flourocarbon leader. Same thickness as 15lb mono and is 25% thinner than regular braid. Looking to add this to my 80lb spectra instead of a mono top shot. Should make larger gear more versatile. I would spool my entire reel with it, but it’s a bit pricey

Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
I'm one of those guys who've been using a SS6480XH as a 100# rail rod for years, and they are my favorite setups for 100# sardine fly line, (I've got 3). They have endless backbone and I've never felt like it was bottoming out on multiple 100-200# yft and bft. They fish well above their rating and the 8' length is sweet for underhanding a dine. I fish it with a Mak16 or ATD30.

I can't compare with UC because I don't fish them, and the SS6480XH is on the heavier side, but I really like that big diameter and thick walls when it's doubled over the rail on a unit.

They're badass rods, great for fly lining a mack around pilot rock too.

Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Your going to enjoy that reel... I fish a bv2-600n on a gp terminator and it's incredibly light weight and powerful.

Upvote 0