Offshore Thought my dues were paid by now

Tygrande24

• May 4, 2021
    San diego
    Name
    Ty grande
    Boat Name
    Mojo
    Recap for the last week. Took my sisters boyfriend out Friday with my old man paddy hopping as he’s never really fished before. Usually I’m up all night launching early and doing all the driving and when I got a chance to sleep while we headed to the grounds I jumped on it. Told my old man I heard 25 miles southeast of the islands was hot so I thought that was the plan…. Wake up and get told that we are past the 390 headed to the 1010 because “I’ve killed more fish there before you were even a thought”. I think okay gonna be a long day but I trust him. Send my brother in law up to look for paddy’s and go 2 hours with nothing. Right as I start to suspect maybe he’s missing some, I look up as I’m running over a good sized kelp and splitting it in 2….

Ask him what the fuck but shake it off since he’s a beginner, turn around and within a minute we have a triple hook up. Here’s where I fucked up, I gave him my tried and true g-loomis with an old Trinidad 16 wide that’s killed more 20 pound yellows and yellowfin than I can remember, spooled up with 20 pound. My old man gets his rat yellow in right away and I’m coaching the kid, while getting spooled because like an asshole i grabbed my g-loomis with my fathom 8 spooled with 12 pound. Gets his rat yellow to color and i gaff it because I don’t want to risk him fucking up the flip. While I’m explaining to him what “for the love of God put it in freespool” means, I get broke off.

Throw down the rod and grab his, pin a bait on, and second it hits the water the reel is screaming. Fight it for about 5 or 10 minutes and put a decent 15 pound yellow on the deck. That was about as much action we saw that day as we saw no more paddies. Fished wide Open barracuda for an hour at South Island then head in.

Now here’s where it just gets comical- decide fuck it let’s go out Wednesday and try again. Heard west of 371 bluefin and paddies going south. Basically end up doing the exact same loop as Friday. Left too early and made it to the 371 right after daybreak and start seeing bluefin but nothing wanted to eat yet. Put out a mad Mac and right away a foamer pops up 15 yards from the boat. Its chaos as my old man and the kid are tying hooks on and I’m left to bring the troller in meanwhile this foamer is going off. I should’ve left it to sink but The pops insisted it got brought in first or troll right through the foamer…. By the time I can pin a bait on the school sinks out and we head south. Find 2 big paddies at the 390 with nothing on them except some baby makos. Coming back to the 371 later that day i pull off onto some birds and a foamer of Bonita pops up. Whip a hot bait out and a yellow picks it up. I’m fishing 20 pound again and this fucker was running hot, fight it for about 10 minutes and think it has to be a small bluefin because my rod was full bendo and it was pulling drag like nobodies business on my bigger trinidad. Get it to color, gaff it and just start laughing when a maybe 15 pound yellow hits the deck. Fished big Bonita for another 30 minutes and released them all as we don’t really eat them enough to keep.

All in all I thought well atleast I didn’t have to work today and I put one on the boat…. That’s until I get in at 730 and see that my buddy had texted me an hour after I lost service that morning saying he was going to the 302 of all places followed by a text he sent at 2pm saying they limited out on bluefin on poppers and were done by 1.

Lessons of the week,
    -fishing has changed and right now there’s no need to be at the 390 when the sun comes up
    -don’t leave so early that you miss the bluefin action on the way down
    -listen to my gut instinct and be ready for foamers
    - If you’re in a hot zone with boils popping up, focus on that and don’t drop a sinker rig down everytime you see a mark under the boat, I figure if they’re hungry they’ll pop up soon enough to cast on em.

All in all I am glad it went down the way it did as a reminder of how fast you can get out of touch with these bluefin when you don’t stay consistent.

So far I’m 2 summers in without a bluefin and lots of being in the wrong place but that makes me more eager to get after it when I see my boys killing it on a regular basis. I’ve got the boat at my disposal, the ability to take almost any day off at a days notice as we work for ourselves and have a crew that can handle when I’m not there and the desire to fuck some fish up. Only thing I’m missing are people to fish with who have the tuna game down. Lots of learning myself and trial and error.

Here’s what 300 miles round trip over 2 days of searching looks like for me recently. Hope to get it down better next time and put some real fish on the boat!

67135239-3480-47BF-BDA9-644317E9226F.jpeg

06512C6E-DA06-4037-A23C-7023F8BB4188.jpeg

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    At least you got some action. Imagine if you all got hooked up? Frustrating but you're out on the water fishing on your boat and catching. Nothing beats that.. I need to remind myself as well. Is that a Parker I/O conversion?

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    Fun read TY.

Reactions: Tygrande24
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Too funny. It's like I always told my son when he's starts getting lippy:

"Your mom's looking for you" and, of course, "Before you were born"

After 300 miles, a couple yellows is way better than skunkage.....

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    Right as I start to suspect maybe he’s missing some, I look up as I’m running over a good sized kelp and splitting it in 2….

LOL Classic. I've done it myself. It happens.

Anyday fishing with your father is a great day on the water. Great report. You will get your BFT...hopefully with your dad on the boat to bust your balls.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

Tygrande24

• May 4, 2021
    San diego
    Name
    Ty grande
    Boat Name
    Mojo
    At least you got some action. Imagine if you all got hooked up? Frustrating but you're out on the water fishing on your boat and catching. Nothing beats that.. I need to remind myself as well. Is that a Parker I/O conversion?
    We pulled the i/o 2 years ago, put an evinrude 250 and turned the engine bay into storage for my generator and tools

Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
    Apr 18, 2014
    Open Ocean
    Name
    BajaLifeStyle
    Boat Name
    Parker 21
    Should have left the mad mac in the water and swing wide and back in so the mad mac goes through..probably would have been insta bendo..

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DreamCatcher

Aug 15, 2003
    Whittier
    Name
    Josh
    Boat Name
    18' Trophy (DreamCatcher)
    Recap for the last week. Took my sisters boyfriend out Friday with my old man paddy hopping as he’s never really fished before. Usually I’m up all night launching early and doing all the driving and when I got a chance to sleep while we headed to the grounds I jumped on it. Told my old man I heard 25 miles southeast of the islands was hot so I thought that was the plan…. Wake up and get told that we are past the 390 headed to the 1010 because “I’ve killed more fish there before you were even a thought”. I think okay gonna be a long day but I trust him. Send my brother in law up to look for paddy’s and go 2 hours with nothing. Right as I start to suspect maybe he’s missing some, I look up as I’m running over a good sized kelp and splitting it in 2….

Ask him what the fuck but shake it off since he’s a beginner, turn around and within a minute we have a triple hook up. Here’s where I fucked up, I gave him my tried and true g-loomis with an old Trinidad 16 wide that’s killed more 20 pound yellows and yellowfin than I can remember, spooled up with 20 pound. My old man gets his rat yellow in right away and I’m coaching the kid, while getting spooled because like an asshole i grabbed my g-loomis with my fathom 8 spooled with 12 pound. Gets his rat yellow to color and i gaff it because I don’t want to risk him fucking up the flip. While I’m explaining to him what “for the love of God put it in freespool” means, I get broke off.

Throw down the rod and grab his, pin a bait on, and second it hits the water the reel is screaming. Fight it for about 5 or 10 minutes and put a decent 15 pound yellow on the deck. That was about as much action we saw that day as we saw no more paddies. Fished wide Open barracuda for an hour at South Island then head in.

Now here’s where it just gets comical- decide fuck it let’s go out Wednesday and try again. Heard west of 371 bluefin and paddies going south. Basically end up doing the exact same loop as Friday. Left too early and made it to the 371 right after daybreak and start seeing bluefin but nothing wanted to eat yet. Put out a mad Mac and right away a foamer pops up 15 yards from the boat. Its chaos as my old man and the kid are tying hooks on and I’m left to bring the troller in meanwhile this foamer is going off. I should’ve left it to sink but The pops insisted it got brought in first or troll right through the foamer…. By the time I can pin a bait on the school sinks out and we head south. Find 2 big paddies at the 390 with nothing on them except some baby makos. Coming back to the 371 later that day i pull off onto some birds and a foamer of Bonita pops up. Whip a hot bait out and a yellow picks it up. I’m fishing 20 pound again and this fucker was running hot, fight it for about 10 minutes and think it has to be a small bluefin because my rod was full bendo and it was pulling drag like nobodies business on my bigger trinidad. Get it to color, gaff it and just start laughing when a maybe 15 pound yellow hits the deck. Fished big Bonita for another 30 minutes and released them all as we don’t really eat them enough to keep.

All in all I thought well atleast I didn’t have to work today and I put one on the boat…. That’s until I get in at 730 and see that my buddy had texted me an hour after I lost service that morning saying he was going to the 302 of all places followed by a text he sent at 2pm saying they limited out on bluefin on poppers and were done by 1.

Lessons of the week,
    -fishing has changed and right now there’s no need to be at the 390 when the sun comes up
    -don’t leave so early that you miss the bluefin action on the way down
    -listen to my gut instinct and be ready for foamers
    - If you’re in a hot zone with boils popping up, focus on that and don’t drop a sinker rig down everytime you see a mark under the boat, I figure if they’re hungry they’ll pop up soon enough to cast on em.

All in all I am glad it went down the way it did as a reminder of how fast you can get out of touch with these bluefin when you don’t stay consistent.

So far I’m 2 summers in without a bluefin and lots of being in the wrong place but that makes me more eager to get after it when I see my boys killing it on a regular basis. I’ve got the boat at my disposal, the ability to take almost any day off at a days notice as we work for ourselves and have a crew that can handle when I’m not there and the desire to fuck some fish up. Only thing I’m missing are people to fish with who have the tuna game down. Lots of learning myself and trial and error.

Here’s what 300 miles round trip over 2 days of searching looks like for me recently. Hope to get it down better next time and put some real fish on the boat!

View attachment 1405677

View attachment 1405678
    We've all been there... this year it seems to be all about trolling at higher speeds with the lures wayyyyy back or casting lures on foamers for the tuna.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    If we base fish killing to paying your dues, seems like the only guy who has paid his dues in full is longboard85.

:rofl:

I found the blue tshirts he wears, if you want one.
    Only $140

Dues being paid is an excuss for sucking hind tit. That's me . . . .

"psuh"

Last edited:
    Reactions: Isaltyvair1980
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Thanks for the report, put a smile on my face... sounds familiar. The one comment I really got a kick out of was... "Only thing I’m missing are people to fish with who have the tuna game down" other than Cody who is pretty consistent, there are lots who claim they do but these fish are like woman and the rules, as soon as you think you know them they change them up on you. thanks for the report and the smile.

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat Name
    26' sea swirl
    If we base fish killing to paying your dues, seems like the only guy who has paid his dues in full is longboard85.

:rofl:

I found the blue tshirts he wears, if you want one.
    Only $140

Dues being paid is an excuss for sucking hind tit. That's me . . . .

"psuh"
    I clicked on the website and it said out of stock… maybe Cody bought the lot and will now sell them for $200????

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat Name
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Ty,

Just a few thoughts on my small amount of success with these moody ass BFT. I have mostly been a complete failure until recently and still feel I have a shot glass of knowledge with these BF. In fact, I thought learning cbass was tough and cbass are childs play to these tuna.

My bucket list fish was catching that local cow on my own boat, period, this is what I stayed focused on

I spent a lot of time talking to people, watching Ali's videos and so on that helped big time

Everyone needs to develop their own strategy and apply what they have confidence in

We have made 4 trips this year catching fish on 3 trips and still have things to improve on. We no longer bring bait or frozen flyers, I will not stop on a kelp if is glowing with yellows or dodos. I wont bring light gear to stop for cods or bass at the islands on the way in just to catch anything, its tuna or bust, period

On my boat is a tank of helium, 4 California flyers, extra wings, balloons, two kites with extra spars, 12 spreader bars, half of them being side trackers with spare parts to make repairs such as skirts, beads crimps etc. A roll up Nomad bag loaded with Madmacs, DTX minnows and Madscads.

One thing that has helped is the Side Vu feature on my Garmin system and being able to see to off to the side. Its no where near what a side scanning sonar is but it has helped us big time

I'm old enough to remember waiting for Sept to fish SCI and 12 lb bluefin on 10lb line and chovies, we are in good times right now

Upvote 0