Those huge poppers and stick baits made for GT

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Does anyone have experience at the buffer zone or HB with any of these huge baits, designed for casting, mostly on big spinners (So I would not want to hook anything over 100 pounds on one)?

There are videos of their actions that are enticing. Some float like a flier. They are prohibitively expensive. They look fun.

Jackfin Seek 220

Jackfin Raid 200

Redtank Fort

Heru Skipjack

Heru Ebb Tide

FCL Labo TG 240

Strategic Angler

Adhek Baliu

Companies like MB Customs (Yes, the Austrailian with wonderful dexterity that has a nice demo of a hitchless FG with Rizzuto: https://www.mbcustomlures.com.au/videos.html (I think the version on his website is a bit clearer than the version on YouTube or the one on Facebook)

Stores like Fish Head Tackle or Ebb Tide Tackle

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    So Loc,
    When are you going to start making some? We all know you have the time, talent, and tools to do it, so why not?

Reactions: Elitetv1958
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    So Loc,
    When are you going to start making some? We all know you have the time, talent, and tools to do it, so why not?
    Au contraire! Those that make these things are clearly dedicated artist fishermen. I lack the 3D printing, resin casting, and certainly the finishing skills and could not possible go through those learning curves.

These things sure do have more varied actions than any of our raiders or bombs or even things like nomads.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The MB Custom Lures video shows one way to form the FG portion. I never could get the hang of the hand triangle method, but i can see that can be very efficient way to tension the Spectra. You can do it with a FG tool or you can lean the rod out and put the spectra end between your teeth which is what I do. Too much tension is no bueno. Tension lock the FG when you set with pullers.

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Those are all awesome lures especially if you're a billionaire or part of the Yakuza. But I don't think any of those poppers will fish much better than a Halco roosta when the fish are in the mood.

I've increased my popper catch rate recently by going to much smaller poppers. The Halco roosta 105 has been working well for me. I did buy a smaller spinning rig that's dedicated solely to throw the little guys.

When there is a foamer going off, I use the big rig / big poppers. When all I see is a boil here and there during a bait bite I throw the little poppers. Especially in calm glassy conditions.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Yikes! -- I did not know what that was, so I looked it up. Interesting.

Lol :Rambo_Throwing_Kniv:evilimu:

My best is a 70ish on a full size yo zuri surface cruiser. With owner trebles ringed on. Outside of clarion

Bird popper for GTs. Could go through a few thousand dollars in expensive fancy poppers fishing GTs. On a single trip

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I would think most of the super expensive ones are just to hook fishermen.

Caught fish on Yozuri, Halco, Cotton Cordell. That's $30 to $6 right there for poppers.

Yozuri sliders work and the Shimano plugs do too. All way less then custom GT stuff.

Now, will they hold up to monster GT abuse, I dont know. Maybe that's why guys pay big bucks. But my guess is cheaper options work just the same.

Haven't tried them yet but those Nomad plugs look good at a reasonable price.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
    Name
    Cris
    Boat
    friends :)
    Ebb tide is just another shop that orders from heru. They make great lures and sell them to various shops, some want their name on them. Most of these lures are fairly affordable and ask any GT or bluefin tuna popping guy that has been doing it for a while $25-50 lures are not considered expensive lures . You can get into the really exclusive stuff that can cost $400 plus like the moutoukenmaru minopenmaru or some exclusive carpenter Gamma stick baits.
    Merv makes some really cool lures, and I never used any of his poppers but have custom stickbaits made by him and caught a bunch of tuna on them. I highly recommend the frantic series.
    Saltwater popping for bluefin or GT is like hunting big game on a safari. Most times you need really good equipment and experience. You pay to play!

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Some of the expensive lures actually do work better. Smith baby runboh, straight tied, no split ring or swivel, has the best action of any lure I've fished. Similar to a Shimano Orca, but with better s swimming action. Got a 72# yft on the porpoise near SD last month, so you don't have to go that far. The school had lots of bigger YFT as well. Casting in breaking porpoise schools is almost like a guarantee. Porpoise won't touch it, so far, but the tuna see it well. The heru skipjack is quite good. I have the jackfin lures and they seem to swim well, but only caught 1 on those so far. I have tried the nomad poppers and have not been successful, but then no one was. Also tried the nomad stickbaits, maybe they are too big, but they don't swim as well as I would like. If you are set up with a heavy rod, line, and a reel that can fish heavy drag, you can bring the fish in quickly. The 72# fish was about 5 minutes on a 10ft rod with a stella 14k. You should have no problem with fish to 150 on a rod that is 7-8 feet, after that, I would recommend a harness setup. You can use the straight arm techniques, but that still gets tiring. I find if you get a little break when the fish runs, you can really put the wood to them when they stop.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    One thing I think a lot of people are forgetting is that a higher quality bait is going to come stock with much better hooks and the rigging system within the lure will be much more robust (ie no bent out hook hangers).

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    So how about seabird feathered poppers LOL to this day. I still trust my eyes that I saw a tunafish boil and eat a bird. Maybe not but I'm pretty sure the bird vanished

If I thought a fancy popper would do its job i would buy it and fish it for tuna. Hard to loose. Just not for GTs hooked 1 foot away from dry corral heads. Beautiful finishes on fancy poppers but a no paint poppers get bit just fine. Kinda thread jacked. A mothership boat charges extreme for them

If the budget was huge. A $50,000 popper collection would be awesome. They look so rad

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    They look so rad
    I agree. Some of them are really works of art. There had to have been a lot of learning to do the foils and abalone and scale patters and airbrushing - to say nothing of the trial and error swim patterns and balancing horizontal float. A pretty niche.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    One thing I think a lot of people are forgetting is that a higher quality bait is going to come stock with much better hooks and the rigging system within the lure will be much more robust (ie no bent out hook hangers).
    While the hook hangers tend to be very strong, most of the highest priced lures come without hooks - just recommendations.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    This is a video I wanted to put in the start of this thread - but could not find. Some of these actions are pretty cool. they start at about :57.

Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
    Name
    Cris
    Boat
    friends :)
    This is a video I wanted to put in the start of this thread - but could not find. Some of these actions are pretty cool. they start at about :57.

There are a couple of merv’s older videos. He was making big bluefin dedicated stickbaits like the cruising series and doing a lot of damage in North Carolina every spring. Got a couple frantics in custom carpenter gamma colors that look incredible and swim just as good. He is a very easy going person and every time his work is simply amazing

Upvote 0

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 7, 2017
    Venice, La
    Name
    Jimmy Russel
    Boat
    29' Seavee
    Check out our Jackfin selection at www.strikertackle.com

45555171_1926601684086578_6714855963393785856_o.jpg

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Bft eats seagull then spits it back out.

Must be sketchy to be a seabird feeding in a tuna frenzy. Seabirds are brave creatures

jessica_haydahl_richardson_submits-8-713x420.jpg

Upvote 0