sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I'm too poor to travel to fish and fish a lot locally, so i don't travel. Fishing once or twice a year aint me.

I've fished offshore (mostly with Phat Boat) seriously out of SD for 25 or so years. This year is the first time I've ever been on the same boat with a Wahoo (more than once) and first time I've seen a blue (biggest fish I've ever seen with the exception of a Basking Shark and maybe 1 Mako).........Saw massive foamers of cow BFT along our coast. Images from that will never die.....I've seen BIG Bft once before in my life with Jon near the 425 several years ago. .....

BFT bit locally for months for some. For me it was mostly watching them play Splishy Splash.

YFT over #50(on a scale) were somewhat common for a couple week period early in the summer. Never seen em that big locally before.

YT over #20 bit through the winter through spring.

Not much going on now within 40 miles of SD as far as catch worthy grade tuna, YT, or tuna offshore .

I've seen weird Manta like rays that I've never seen before, Hammerheads abundant last two years........

I'm going Wahoo and Marlin fishing til the wheels fall off.

Well put!!!

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
I'm too poor to travel to fish and fish a lot locally, so i don't travel. Fishing once or twice a year aint me.

I've fished offshore (mostly with Phat Boat) seriously out of SD for 25 or so years. This year is the first time I've ever been on the same boat with a Wahoo (more than once) and first time I've seen a blue (biggest fish I've ever seen with the exception of a Basking Shark and maybe 1 Mako).........Saw massive foamers of cow BFT along our coast. Images from that will never die.....I've seen BIG Bft once before in my life with Jon near the 425 several years ago. .....

BFT bit locally for months for some. For me it was mostly watching them play Splishy Splash.

YFT over #50(on a scale) were somewhat common for a couple week period early in the summer. Never seen em that big locally before.

YT over #20 bit through the winter through spring.

Not much going on now within 40 miles of SD as far as catch worthy grade tuna, YT, or tuna offshore .

I've seen weird Manta like rays that I've never seen before, Hammerheads abundant last two years........

I'm going Wahoo and Marlin fishing til the wheels fall off.
Carl I Agree 100%. I would only add that all the above have also been caught way past Santa Barbara and yes now including wahoo! Not everyone has had a great season but they have either not fished enough for various reasons or they have just been plain unlucky. I have yet to get a wahoo but Inhave not really put in the time. Unless next season is better, this will be the year by which all other seasons are compared to and it is still not too late to go get some!
Just remembered 12 months of bluefin locally caught too at the Cortez/Tanner.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Offshore, for sure it's been one of the best years ever, but I wonder whether that is just because the Baja fish came to SoCal, because the Baja guys are frustrated from what I'm able to tell from their reports. The main change as you all know is that we got a lot of the exotic species that are usually only abundant in Mexico: YFT, BFT, wahoo, marlin, dorado, skipjack. The yellowtail run was also longer and larger than usual. The bonito have also made a comeback.

Inshore, however, it's just ... Different. I know a lot of you guys never step foot on a pier, jetty, surf, etc., but shore fishing this year has been terrible. There are almost no perch, less croaker, less barracuda, less halibut, less mackerel, less sardines, different sharks - very few threshers, which look to have gone north, but a lot of hammerheads, which came north, and average/below average bass. I don't know about the corbina because I don't fish them but from what I'm able to tell, they've off too. The only shore species that I think people were catching a lot are sargo, and I think that's just because everything else was missing so the sargo took all the bait. Fortunately, bonito and a few yellowtail were around to keep shore anglers busy. Were it not for that, it'd be the *worst* shore fishing on record ever.

Going a little further north, I heard the guys are having an especially bad salmon season, because salmon prefer colder water and the warm water is killing their spawn.

As to long-term effects, I know a lot of people are hoping that it keeps being that way, but I don't think it's going to. For one, this is not caused by global warming. Global warming is +0.1 degrees in a hundred years. It's not 4-5 degrees in two years - ie from 2012 to 2014. This is caused by El Nino and "the Blob." We know the former's going to go away next year, just as it did in the past El Nino seasons. The latter, though, has never occurred before so no one knows how long it sticks around. But regardless, "the Blob" is not healthy for the ocean, as warm water has less nutrients and so less food for the bait fish, and the bait fish feed the big fish, so sooner/later, it's going to bite back.

In fact, I'm quite scared that the next few years are going to be as bad as the last two years were excellent, simply because of the blow back from all the warm water. Remember, all the extra fish we're catching this year are pelagic. They leave when the warm water leaves. The normal California species that don't leave, on the other hand, are having trouble surviving/spawning these last two years from what I'm able to tell. That leaves a gap for when the warm water fish leave, and the cold water fish come back. And I don't want to think about what that gap is going to do for fishing.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Offshore, for sure it's been one of the best years ever, but I wonder whether that is just because the Baja fish came to SoCal, because the Baja guys are frustrated from what I'm able to tell from their reports. The main change as you all know is that we got a lot of the exotic species that are usually only abundant in Mexico: YFT, BFT, wahoo, marlin, dorado, skipjack. The yellowtail run was also longer and larger than usual. The bonito have also made a comeback.

Inshore, however, it's just ... Different. I know a lot of you guys never step foot on a pier, jetty, surf, etc., but shore fishing this year has been terrible. There are almost no perch, less croaker, less barracuda, less halibut, less mackerel, less sardines, different sharks - very few threshers, which look to have gone north, but a lot of hammerheads, which came north, and average/below average bass. I don't know about the corbina because I don't fish them but from what I'm able to tell, they've off too. The only shore species that I think people were catching a lot are sargo, and I think that's just because everything else was missing so the sargo took all the bait. Fortunately, bonito and a few yellowtail were around to keep shore anglers busy. Were it not for that, it'd be the *worst* shore fishing on record ever.

Going a little further north, I heard the guys are having an especially bad salmon season, because salmon prefer colder water and the warm water is killing their spawn.

As to long-term effects, I know a lot of people are hoping that it keeps being that way, but I don't think it's going to. For one, this is not caused by global warming. Global warming is +0.1 degrees in a hundred years. It's not 4-5 degrees in two years - ie from 2012 to 2014. This is caused by El Nino and "the Blob." We know the former's going to go away next year, just as it did in the past El Nino seasons. The latter, though, has never occurred before so no one knows how long it sticks around. But regardless, "the Blob" is not healthy for the ocean, as warm water has less nutrients and so less food for the bait fish, and the bait fish feed the big fish, so sooner/later, it's going to bite back.

In fact, I'm quite scared that the next few years are going to be as bad as the last two years were excellent, simply because of the blow back from all the warm water. Remember, all the extra fish we're catching this year are pelagic. They leave when the warm water leaves. The normal California species that don't leave, on the other hand, are having trouble surviving/spawning these last two years from what I'm able to tell. That leaves a gap for when the warm water fish leave, and the cold water fish come back. And I don't want to think about what that gap is going to do for fishing.

I disagree that it was a poor year for halibut. They bit well for us april and May. Haven't fished them much since then, but I would guess there aren't too many keepers in the bays with the warm water. I'm gonna chase them again when the Wahoo and marlin are gone.

Inshore YT fishing has been tough for me since the first of July because the sea lions have been even more brutal than usual. I can't even tell if there are YT around because we're playing ditch the sea lions.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'd say this year will be remembered for it's unparalleled Wahoo and marlin fishing. Tuna fishing was okay, but the Wahoo fishing is ridiculous. Double and triple hookups within 4 miles of Mission Bay is insane.

Upvote 0

4Bigeye2na

Almost A Member
    Jan 7, 2015
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Searay
    The New Hustler Hooked a Blue Marlin up at the Channel Islands yesterday, caught a Wahoo 2 Miles off Anacapa last Sunday. I think this winter could be one of the best ever. Follow the bait.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    None
    So is this season really THAT good? I moved to the east coast mid August so couldn't get into the hottest action, so just wanted to know has this season met your expectation/hype? Obviously the yt at lb/cat was off the hooks and so has the marlin bite at sbi/osborne. How about other species? Offshore as a whole?

I was too young during the El Nino of 82/83 (I hear the tuna and especially bigeye were great then), but got into boat fishing during the last big El Nino of 96/97. Only did half and 3/4 trips and had fun on my first ever yellowtail (rats around 5 pounds or so). Got back into it during this El Nino 14/15 and it has been great! Haven't been out much since I don't have own boat but did get a fun 20 pound Yellowfin Tuna on first ever all day tuna trip back in 9/14. Then got my first couple of legit Yellowtail (15 and 25 pounds) back in 1/15 on the 3/4 boat out of Dana and was stoked! Yellowtail early this year were massive...all 15 to 25 pounders off San Onofre. I think Long Beach is still like that! A shot at massive Yellowfin Tuna early in the summer (no Bigeye yet though) with large quantities of smaller schoolies still out there. I don't ever remember Blue Marlin being landed in So. Cal and especially Wahoo which are an unheard of rare treat the last 2 years so yes...totally epic fishing!

Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
    Jul 14, 2004
    Alta Loma/Huntington
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    I got cornholed on 2 blues, one big, one HUGE!! I also caught a slob Wahoo, all within 12 miles of Dana Point. I caught a load of tuna and lost 2 that were bruisers. Drove away from paddies with an insane amount of biting Dodos. Last year was a more consistent tuna year, smaller grade though and fewer mega exotics. This years hoo and blue marlin bite was/is insane!

Reactions: Chriskhatch
    Upvote 0