MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Commersh guys raping the rockfish, "harvesting the perch"........ I get it, they have to make a living.....it just riles me that the enviros wanna blame us hook and line guys for "depleting" the resource....I mean, WTF? How many days x boats x anglers x limits would it take to equal this one, ONE set?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
Dang ! That's a lot of Filet Fish Sandwiches :shake:

Upvote 0

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
Holy sh**
Seems pretty much like rape alright

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Disgusting

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Holy shit! Talk about wiping out a couple of year classes. Jeez.....

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Commersh guys raping the rockfish....... I get it, they have to make a living.....it just riles me that the enviros wanna blame us hook and line guys for "depleting" the resource....I mean, WTF? How many days x boats x anglers x limits would it take to equal this one, ONE set?

Looks like the Canadian or Alaskan "Ocean Perch" fishery. Very controlled and sustainable. They set a very strict quota based on fish stocks. And the quota is like 10% of stockor less. Easily maintains or grows stock. Season is very short. And it is a very clean fishery. Notice the bycatch. Almost nothing. And not a specie targeted by recreational anglers.

Alaska and Canada have their shit together. They manage all their fisheries to insure they are healthy long into the future.

California is improving. I've seen it from the sport and commercial side. They really came down on the groundfish fisheries last year. Cut quotas so bad most guys went out of business. But it's for the better.

You don't want to know what the vast majority of the world is doing.

Upvote 0

ratboy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
Our open access quota is 200lbs a month.....
Geez the floaters that the seagulls ate filled my quota for a few months....

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
This is a no-brainer.

Bottom trawling should be easy pickings right now because IBAFT said CBS News said the IAEA said 98% of the seafloor was covered with dead fish due to Fukashima. :D

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
The only problem is this is in the Atlantic, and not rockfish

"Icelandic fishing in the north Atlantic. Catching a big catch of fish, on a freezing trawler. Documentary of fishing in the valuable water around Iceland."

Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
Milpitas
Name
Dan
Boat
23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
This is what happens when you have 100s of millions to billions of mouths to feed. It's horrible but it's a fact of life when there are so many consumers. One of the local magazines used to (and may still) run photos about "how good it used to be", and the common back cover shot might feature a 3/4 day boat with passengers up to their hips in yellowtail or yft caught in the Catalina Channel. My reaction to those old time examples of excess are the same as to the photo OP posted: what chance does the resource have? Honestly, I feel the same when someone posts a photo of a micro mako or thresher...let 'em go! Take only what you need and consider the impact your take has on the fishery, even though hook and line might be obviously is only a drop in the bucket.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Looks like the Canadian or Alaskan "Ocean Perch" fishery. Very controlled and sustainable. They set a very strict quota based on fish stocks. And the quota is like 10% of stockor less. Easily maintains or grows stock. Season is very short. And it is a very clean fishery. Notice the bycatch. Almost nothing. And not a specie targeted by recreational anglers.

Alaska and Canada have their shit together. They manage all their fisheries to insure they are healthy long into the future.

California is improving. I've seen it from the sport and commercial side. They really came down on the groundfish fisheries last year. Cut quotas so bad most guys went out of business. But it's for the better.

You don't want to know what the vast majority of the world is doing.

thanks Bud.

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Our open access quota is 200lbs a month.....
Geez the floaters that the seagulls ate filled my quota for a few months....

I liked when the Albatros gutted and eyeballed the blackgill floaters when I crewed on a Blackgill boat. That was my take home stash!

Upvote 0

rojodiablo

Dive club flunkie
Jul 22, 2005
Santa Ana Ca.
Name
Paul Romanowski
Boat
Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)
I'll still take it over farmed Tilapia........

So long as fisheries managers study it and it is sustainable? People have done this for 5 thousand years. Kinda hard to argue it.

Upvote 0

SeaDawg

Grouper Hunter
Mar 18, 2003
Key West
Name
Harry
Boat
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Shit Mikey, I think you & I & Ed have done that much damage over our short career just within 5 miles of the rockpile....................

Upvote 0

brice

Feb 9, 2006
Santee
Name
brice
Boat
Grady 226
I'll still take it over farmed Tilapia........

So long as fisheries managers study it and it is sustainable? People have done this for 5 thousand years. Kinda hard to argue it.

if you think people have done THIS for 5 thousand years, you might want to do a little searching:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Reminds me of my first long trip, we were chasing schools of Bluefin and had seiners pulling up all around us. After that, whenever someone asked me about if I felt bad catching "endangered bluefin" I just told them that the 25 hooks we had in the water was nothing compared to a seiner's net.

-Connor

Upvote 0