THIS IS IT!!! The 20th Annual Halibut Classic!!

Johnny Sixgun

Go where the fleet isn't
Sep 7, 2014
N32.45 W117
Name
John
Boat
TTT
Damn, sounds like a blast. The guy I fish with (owns the boat) just wouldn't be able to do it w him. He just looks for other boats and fishes off them. I can't stand it but, until I get my own boat..
People in the tournament ever look for others to join them, even if they don't know them?

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Damn, sounds like a blast. The guy I fish with (owns the boat) just wouldn't be able to do it w him. He just looks for other boats and fishes off them. I can't stand it but, until I get my own boat..
People in the tournament ever look for others to join them, even if they don't know them?

Hey John, yes there have been past years where anglers looking to fish found a boat to fish on, as well as sometimes a boat owner looking for crew.

I just posted a new thread in this "Fishing Chit Chat" section trying to help pair up both anglers looking to get on a boat, as well as boat owners looking for crew to fish the tournament.

I will put your name in the thread, but you and any others interested should also post in the thread stating you are looking to fish and maybe a short rundown to help possibly get that spot should one or more open up.

Dont give up, it's always worth a shot! ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Johnny Sixgun
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Sunday bump n reminder.
Still time to get in at the discounted early entry price. After the 20th, the entry fees will be adjusted to the non early entry price. ;)

It's a very inexpensive tournament to enter and fish, with a decent chance of going home with some good extra Xmas cash. Anyone has a very real chance at winning!

Upvote 0

Johnny Sixgun

Go where the fleet isn't
Sep 7, 2014
N32.45 W117
Name
John
Boat
TTT
Hey John, yes there have been past years where anglers looking to fish found a boat to fish on, as well as sometimes a boat owner looking for crew.

I just posted a new thread in this "Fishing Chit Chat" section trying to help pair up both anglers looking to get on a boat, as well as boat owners looking for crew to fish the tournament.

I will put your name in the thread, but you and any others interested should also post in the thread stating you are looking to fish and maybe a short rundown to help possibly get that spot should one or more open up.

Dont give up, it's always worth a shot! ;)

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Screenshot_2019-11-15-08-47-32-1.png

Ok guys, my appologies for being a bit quiet lately......been dealing with a death that's hit me in the gut real hard!

Ok, so this is a reminder....the EARLY ENTRY deadline is on the 20th. Please make sure that if you want in at that price, you MUST get those entries to me before that deadline is over. After that it goes to the regular adjusted price......so gettem in soon!!!!

So listen guy.....the Halibut Classic has lost a key team player!! One of my very best of buds, and my very best and longtime fishing partner Vince Dalmaso has tragically and very unexpectedly passed away.

Vince was the first ever winner of this tournament, and he was my big time helper in terms of the Halibut Classic. He was the morning check in guy, my weigh-in and measuring guy, and the one who wrote out the weigh-ins board info as well as the big awards checks.

This year has now been spun to pay tribute to a very great guy.....my buddy, my dearest friend, my best fishing parnter ever.....this year is now a tribute to Vince Dalmaso.

Please if you can, help me put on a great showing as I know he was soooo looking forward to this years event.

Thank you
Screenshot_2019-11-17-07-42-18-1.png

Screenshot_2019-11-15-08-47-32-1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Monday bump and reminder.

The early entry price is about to end, so if you're thinking about entering, then those entries NEED to get to me by the early entry deadline which is November 20th.

Tryin hard to make this a very special tribute to my buddy Vinney who just passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday.

Vince won the first year of this, and also won again in 2017. He loved fishing this and loved being around everyone and mingling with the boys at the weigh-ins.

Jump on in, and lets show Vinney a great tribute towards him this year!

Remember, entries can still be taken after the 20th, but those entries must be at the new adjusted price.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Morning bump and reminder.

Tomorrow November 20th is the early entry cutoff date. All entries received after that will need to be at the new adjusted normal price, so please take note when filling out and sending in those entry forms.

You could still possibly mail in an entry today and it MAY get to me by tomorrow, as I know of many that did get to me the day after being mailed, although at this point that is a bit of a crap shoot.

Your best bet at still entering at the early entry price would be to turn in your entry form at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay with proper payment.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do turn in your entry at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay with payment, then you MUST notify me after you do so.....this is very important.

Entry forms can be printed up off the tournament website at....
www.halibutclassic.com
You can also pick up entry forms at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay, or Squidco.

You cannot pay your entry at Squidco, although you can pay entry at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay.

Again, please make sure and notify me after you have made entry payment and turned in your entry form at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay......important!

Hope to see a bunch of you at this years event, to help me pay tribute to our recently passed buddy and Halibut Classic check in guy, weigh station guy and awards check guy......Vince Dalmaso.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Wednesday reminder.
Today is the cutoff day for the early entry price, so if you still want in at that price, your best bet is to turn in a filled out entry form along with proper payment at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay ( right next to the launch ramp)

You have 3 different ways to get your entry forms, with those being.....
1- You can print one up from the tournament website at....
www.halibutclassic.com
2- You can pick one up at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay
3- You can pick one up at Squidco.

Please keep in mind, the only place you can both pay and drop off the entry form is at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay, and at this point it will be the last and only option of getting in at the discounted early entry price, as tomorrow November 21st, the entry price per angler goes up to the normal price.....please check the rules and info posted on the tournament site pertaining to entries and rules.

There is still time to get in on this, so make sure and do so soon as the tournament is just 10 days away now.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Mike, is the tournament rain or shine? Weather doesn’t look to be very good that day. It’s still a week out, so who knows?

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Mike, is the tournament rain or shine? Weather doesn’t look to be very good that day. It’s still a week out, so who knows?
Depends on what we are talking for rain. If it's straight downpour all day rain, then yeah, we would likely reschedule, but if its slight or minimal rain with clearing, we will almost surely still be a go.

As of this post right now, it's looking pretty good. Some scattered clouds, low wind (6mph) and a very slight minimal chance of rain.

On another note, all entry confirmations have been sent out, with the latest being sent today.....so if you haven't heard back from me, then your entry hasn't been received.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ok guys, it's almost tournament time as we are just 5 days out now!!

ALL mailed in entries must be in my hands by tomorrow Tuesday November 26th.

There are still some open spots, so if you wish to get in at the current regular entry price, you need to bring a filled out application along with proper payment in a sealed envelope to Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay. This MUST be done by Wednesday.

After Wednesday and assuming there are still open spots for a team or teams, then you may pay in person at the morning check-ins near the tables by Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay. All morning payments must be in CASH ONLY.

Please try to notify me if you plan on signing up at the morning check-ins, as we would like to have a heads up in order to get things moving quickly and smoothly to proceed with the morning role call, group boat pics, and eventually the start.

We're almost there!!

Upvote 0

Scarleg

Dorkfish
Sep 20, 2004
Vista
Name
Eric
Boat
Boatless
Sorry to hear about Vince bro......Hang in there

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Sorry to hear about Vince bro......Hang in there

Hey Eric!!!
Long time bro!!
Yeah, Vinny passing recently and very unexpected has been been an absolute crusher man!

On better news, it's super good to hear from you....hope things are ok.

Thanks for kind words and thoughts....time heals they say, or at least sorta.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving Eric.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Tuesday bump.....spots still open!

The weather is looking to be good on tournament day, with minimal wind at aprox 6mph, and no rain.

YES, there are still open spots for teams, but the "Mail In" entry is no longer an option.

If you would like to fish this years 20th Anniversary of the After Thanksgiving Halibut Classic which this year is a tribute to Vince Dalmaso, then here are your two options as of today.....

1. You may bring a filled out entry form along with payment in a sealed envelope to Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay. After doing this you MUST notify me after doing so....very important!!

2. You may sign up and pay at the morning check-ins which take place at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay. We will be set up right between the buildings and right near the dock entrance to the Dana Landing fuel dock. ALL morning check ins will be at the adjusted late fee. All info pertaining to rules, times, check ins and fees can be found on the tournament website.

PLEASE NOTE: ALL Morning sign ups will be cash only - no exceptions. Please try to bring the exact amount as we strive to get the morning check-ins done as quickly as possible so that we can get the bridge group shot taken, then the morning role call, tournament briefings, and then the start.

It's almost time!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
oh Lord , let our record stand.....

I think you're fairly safe with that Rick.

The possibility is always there, but that's going to be a tough one to beat.

Side note: There are still open spots for teams and weather looks good for Saturday, so if you want in you can do so at the morning check-ins, and must do so with cash only, and please try to bring the exact amount. Also please let me know before Saturday if you are planning on entering at the morning check-ins, as this helps us know what to expect in the morning.

We will be wrapping up morning check-ins at right around 5am give or take a little. If all teams have checked in before 5am and I have not received notice of others entering on the day of, then we will shut down the check ins right at 5am sharp.

This will give all teams enough time to get bait quickly and then be back in front of the Ventura Bridge by 5:20am or 5:30ish

Boats will then need to huddle up as we always do, and listen up for instructions if my photo guys need to have boats adjust positions a bit. From there it's morning role call, and a quick briefing, and then when the ok is given, the start out the channel.

Happy Thanksgiving all!!

Upvote 0