THIS IS IT!!! The 20th Annual Halibut Classic!!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
20th year celebration!!

Screenshot_2018-11-27-15-39-32-1.png

Yep, this is it guys....this is the big one I've been gunning for and eyeballing for many years, and quite honestly may very well be the last Halibut Classic I put on!

Being the 20th year of the After Thanksgiving Halibut Classic, Im hoping to make this a truly great/special one, and go BIG this year with hopefully a few added surprises if things pan out.....we'll see.

Time hasn't been on my side lately, so I'll just leave it at this right now, but for all you past loyal teams, you know the drill...round up your teams and mark it down on your calenders, as Saturday November 30th 2019 is the Tournament date.

For any of you who have never participated in this Tournament before, you are all welcome and invited to join us, as this is a really cool, chill and awesome bunch of fisherman, fisherwomen and fisherkids. It's like one big huge family, and has grown into having a very broish friendly vibe......it's just the way it all started with 4 friends all fishing their own boats for Halis right after Thanksgiving 20 years ago.

The Tournament will be limited to 40 teams, so it's important for all last years teams as well as any new teams to get those entries in early and by the guidelines and deadlines given on the rules/entry page located on the Tournament Website.... www.halibutclassic.com

I'm not on here as often lately due to lots going on, but feel free to fire off any questions and I or others in the know will do our best at answering them when able.

To help really make this years event extra special and get the vibe flowing, it would be great if some of the past teams could give a good shout/feedback about the ATHC to help the new teams get a feel and vibe on the event, as we are looking forward to seeing a good number of new teams to add to our group for this 20th year of the Halibut Classic Event.

That's it for now. Round em up and make your plans, mark it down on your Calendar and frig, and get your entries in and secure your spots for this years special 20th Event!!

Lastly, a GREAT BIG thank you to all of you who have fished the Halibut Classic in the past, and especially those of you who have made this a yearly or almost yearly tradition....it's been super fun and memorable man ....thank you all so much!!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
This tourney has been one of my favorite things to do in our waters.
Always a great time and good friendly competition .
A bunch of talented anglers and Carl too.
Thanks for posting this up early Mike .
Looking forward to getting in on this thing again .
For the 20th , let's have everyone take a seat and do a shotgun start .

Reactions: ?? fisherman
Upvote 0

fishpye

Feb 22, 2004
Chula Vista Resident
Visit site
Name
John E. Pye
Boat
" The Menu" 24' CustomSkipjack Volvo Diesel
Good to hear Mike,
Team “ The Menu” is in! Fished it ever since I knew about it. The Crew has grown to 4 members. We will see you there!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
as a 20th year bonus, use pocket tee shirts to celebrate , lol.

Haha Rick! You always make this fun bro lol.

On a serious note, I really hope to see you there this year Rick, because if it does end up being my last, I really am hoping to see a whole bunch of my past participants who I've become friends with over the years! Many distant friends, but still friends

Even if I lose my mind and decide to keep it going a little longer, this 20th year is real special to me....it's been in my sights for a crazy long time!!

Hope to see ya Rick!!

Reactions: marlyn and Spoons
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Good to hear Mike,
Team “ The Menu” is in! Fished it ever since I knew about it. The Crew has grown to 4 members. We will see you there!

So good to hear my longtime friend!

You are definitely one of the hardcore longtime loyal teams! Appreciate all the support and help over the years.

Can't wait John, it should be fun!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
This tourney has been one of my favorite things to do in our waters.
Always a great time and good friendly competition .
A bunch of talented anglers and Carl too.
Thanks for posting this up early Mike .
Looking forward to getting in on this thing again .
For the 20th , let's have everyone take a seat and do a shotgun start .

Thanks Lou!
Always good seeing you and others each year.

Hey, it's sort of a "Shotgun" start, except it starts like a semi controlled pub crawl until we hit that speed up zone inside the jetty entrance. LOL

I don't get to fish with you guys often in this tournament no more, but the times that I have cruised out with the fleet at the start.....it's always been one of my favorite things to watch and experience. Everyone gunning it out the jetty and bending it North to hit their chosen spots in hopes of a winning flattie! I dig the group photo and start....it's a Halibut Classic tradition! ;)

Reactions: soul troller
Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
Haha Rick! You always make this fun bro lol.

On a serious note, I really hope to see you there this year Rick, because if it does end up being my last, I really am hoping to see a whole bunch of my past participants who I've become friends with over the years! Many distant friends, but still friends

Even if I lose my mind and decide to keep it going a little longer, this 20th year is real special to me....it's been in my sights for a crazy long time!!

Hope to see ya Rick!!

the only way i'll miss it is if I get killed , lol.

Upvote 0

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
Really hoping to fish the tournament this year. Always have family time that weekend, but I’m thinking I’m just gonna have to do it. What are the boundaries?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Always have a great time fishing this one! Even get to see my name on the plaque at Bay Park Fish every now and again as a memento for my 8-lb whopper winnerLOL. I'd love to be part of the 20th but it unfortunately conflicts with an already booked trip to Guadalupe. Maybe @LTBOLTMAN and @Kareem Korn will sign up for old times' sake...

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Really hoping to fish the tournament this year. Always have family time that weekend, but I’m thinking I’m just gonna have to do it. What are the boundaries?

Would love to have you join us this year Mark!

The boundaries of the tournament are from the Mission Bay Channel and North to O'side. Most guys choose to fish 1/4 to half that distance as there is plenty of prime areas and it gives more time to fish, being that all boats leave from Mission Bay.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Always have a great time fishing this one! Even get to see my name on the plaque at Bay Park Fish every now and again as a memento for my 8-lb whopper winnerLOL. I'd love to be part of the 20th but it unfortunately conflicts with an already booked trip to Guadalupe. Maybe @LTBOLTMAN and @Kareem Korn will sign up for old times' sake...

Bummer you can't join us this year Chris, but it sounds like you have a killer trip in store!

Yep, some years all it takes is a single digit fish to win....ya just never know!

Definitely looking forward to seeing Leo and Tim back again for this 20th year.....really hope they make it.

Reactions: TOTW
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Would love to have you join us this year Mark!

The boundaries of the tournament are from the Mission Bay Channel and North to O'side. Most guys choose to fish 1/4 to half that distance as there is plenty of prime areas and it gives more time to fish, being that all boats leave from Mission Bay.

Curious about why it’s set up that way and the South’s off limits?

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Couple reasons....The boundries/zone have always been this way since the first tournament took place which was 4 friends on 4 boats fishing for halis right after Thanksgiving, so I got on the radio and threw out the suggestion that we all pony up $20 and see who gets the biggest butt. From that point on, it's always been a North of the MB Jetty Challenge.

Another reason being, it's based out of Mission Bay, with all boats huddling up in front of the Ventura bridge for the morning roll call, rules briefing, group photo shot of all the boats, and soon after the anticipated start, and its proven to be far easier for any tournament crew/staff to keep tabs on teams, do possible on the water pics of caught fish, or possibly boat checks, and in general it's just far more manageable having all teams fishing from the jetty entrance and North as I do often have eyes watching and keeping tabs on the water....... and lastly, there are miles and miles of great halibut fishing all due north of the Jetty.

But in a nutshell, it's just FAR more manageable and much simpler to keep tabs and eyes on the teams.

Funny thing is, over the years I've had quite a few guys come up to me after the tournament telling me either they have now caught their personal best in these zones, or others telling me they never had fished halibut North of the MB Jetty before, and have now discovered some cool new spots and thanked me for exposing them to some new halibut grounds they most likely would have never fished. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kzaam1
Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Couple reasons....The boundries/zone have always been this way since the first tournament took place which was 4 friends on 4 boats fishing for halis right after Thanksgiving, so I got on the radio and threw out the suggestion that we all pony up $20 and see who gets the biggest butt. From that point on, it's always been a North of the MB Jetty Challenge.

Another reason being, it's based out of Mission Bay, with all boats huddling up in front of the Ventura bridge for the morning roll call, rules briefing, group photo shot of all the boats, and soon after the anticipated start, and its proven to be far easier for any tournament crew/staff to keep tabs on teams, do possible on the water pics of caught fish, or possibly boat checks, and in general it's just far more manageable having all teams fishing from the jetty entrance and North as I do often have eyes watching and keeping tabs on the water....... and lastly, there are miles and miles of great halibut fishing all due north of the Jetty.

But in a nutshell, it's just FAR more manageable and much simpler to keep tabs and eyes on the teams.

Funny thing is, over the years I've had quite a few guys come up to me after the tournament telling me either they have now caught their personal best in these zones, or others telling me they never had fished halibut North of the MB Jetty before, and have now discovered some cool new spots and thanked me for exposing them to some new halibut grounds they most likely would have never fished. ;)

Cool, thanks. Was just curious. Sounds like a totally awesome event.

Upvote 0