Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
Went out for some me time on Saturday to shoot some ducks. I had a high tide in the early morning so my plan was to row out in the morning and try an get a couple of birds before I lost the water, but what I really wanted was the incoming tide. They have been staging out in the bay and as soon as the water floods the marsh they head in. I have been hunting and pattering the birds in this area for about 4-5 weeks now and have done really well. This last Saturday (10/22) I have done 4 solo trips and 1 trip with a buddy, to the tune of 37 ducks and 4 snows.

The morning resulted in two hen mallards and a missed pair of wigeon that came from behind and right, hard shots out of a sneak boat for a right handed shooter.

The water left me high and dry and it got real quite, birds stopped moving for several hours. Had some high snow geese go over but that doesn't count when they look down at 747's. I got a nice nap and watched the sites, hawks fighting in the air, little birds (I call them marsh wren's) sitting on the bow of my sneak boat.

Once the water started moving back in the birds started to move a little bit. They started to stage up out in the bay just like they have been, but in a lot fewer number than the previous weeks. I think this last rain put some water in the fields and has them inland and spread out. None the less still had a few piling up out there.

Once the water hit my decoys and they were floating again, birds started working. I had a greenhead back flapping over my decoys to the right and a drake Pintail flying low out in front of my decoy's on the left. I decided on the greenhead because he was just a better shot so I dropped him. rowed out picked him up came back. set the boat back up and had several more birds over the next hour look but never really give me a good shot.

With about 30 minutes left before I was going to call it and start my row back in so I would make it before dark. An absolutely beautiful Pintail drake came in on the outside of my decoy's at about 30 yards and I dropped him. I rowed out and picked him up and he was in perfect condition. This one is going up on my wall as soon as I shoot his girlfriend so I can do a double mount.

I started to think that I should get things packed up in the boat and get ready to go pick up the deek's. I looked up and saw a flock coming in the distance. I noticed it was a good sized flock of pintails about 20 or so. I hit my call and the flock swung in my direction. They came down and went over me at about 20 yards, so I picked out a nice looking drake and smoked him. I paddled out picked him up and low and behold jewelry. I have bands from a greenhead, Surf Scooter, Honker, Snow goose including a Russian neck band (really cool). The Northern Pintail is my favorite duck. I have been hunting ducks for 31 years this year, and have been dreaming of this since I was 14 years old.

Here he is in all his glory

Banded Pintail.JPG

I'm writing this right after I filled out the band report online and got the information on where he was banded and the year.

Date: 8/3/2006
Species: Northern Pintail
Sex: MALE
Location: BERKENSHIRE LAKE, 20 MILES EAST, 14 SOUTH OF HANNA, ALBERTA, CANADA

If you are doing the math this bird is 13 years old. My oldest child was 10 years old when this bird hatched. I feel very lucky to have taken this bird. It's the things like this and the memories created while doing the things we love that keep us going.

Tight Lines guys and gals

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
That’s awesome. Sounds like you need a good lab or chessie though.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Went out for some me time on Saturday to shoot some ducks. I had a high tide in the early morning so my plan was to row out in the morning and try an get a couple of birds before I lost the water, but what I really wanted was the incoming tide. They have been staging out in the bay and as soon as the water floods the marsh they head in. I have been hunting and pattering the birds in this area for about 4-5 weeks now and have done really well. This last Saturday (10/22) I have done 4 solo trips and 1 trip with a buddy, to the tune of 37 ducks and 4 snows.

The morning resulted in two hen mallards and a missed pair of wigeon that came from behind and right, hard shots out of a sneak boat for a right handed shooter.

The water left me high and dry and it got real quite, birds stopped moving for several hours. Had some high snow geese go over but that doesn't count when they look down at 747's. I got a nice nap and watched the sites, hawks fighting in the air, little birds (I call them marsh wren's) sitting on the bow of my sneak boat.

Once the water started moving back in the birds started to move a little bit. They started to stage up out in the bay just like they have been, but in a lot fewer number than the previous weeks. I think this last rain put some water in the fields and has them inland and spread out. None the less still had a few piling up out there.

Once the water hit my decoys and they were floating again, birds started working. I had a greenhead back flapping over my decoys to the right and a drake Pintail flying low out in front of my decoy's on the left. I decided on the greenhead because he was just a better shot so I dropped him. rowed out picked him up came back. set the boat back up and had several more birds over the next hour look but never really give me a good shot.

With about 30 minutes left before I was going to call it and start my row back in so I would make it before dark. An absolutely beautiful Pintail drake came in on the outside of my decoy's at about 30 yards and I dropped him. I rowed out and picked him up and he was in perfect condition. This one is going up on my wall as soon as I shoot his girlfriend so I can do a double mount.

I started to think that I should get things packed up in the boat and get ready to go pick up the deek's. I looked up and saw a flock coming in the distance. I noticed it was a good sized flock of pintails about 20 or so. I hit my call and the flock swung in my direction. They came down and went over me at about 20 yards, so I picked out a nice looking drake and smoked him. I paddled out picked him up and low and behold jewelry. I have bands from a greenhead, Surf Scooter, Honker, Snow goose including a Russian neck band (really cool). The Northern Pintail is my favorite duck. I have been hunting ducks for 31 years this year, and have been dreaming of this since I was 14 years old.

Here he is in all his glory

View attachment 989335

I'm writing this right after I filled out the band report online and got the information on where he was banded and the year.

Date: 8/3/2006
Species: Northern Pintail
Sex: MALE
Location: BERKENSHIRE LAKE, 20 MILES EAST, 14 SOUTH OF HANNA, ALBERTA, CANADA

If you are doing the math this bird is 13 years old. My oldest child was 10 years old when this bird hatched. I feel very lucky to have taken this bird. It's the things like this and the memories created while doing the things we love that keep us going.

Tight Lines guys and gals
Nice Write up.

Reactions: Odin7
Upvote 0

Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
That’s awesome. Sounds like you need a good lab or chessie though.

Lost my Lab (Jinx) two years ago. Still weighs heavy on me. She was a great duck dog. I have a new one but she's a little off. Still trying to work her into it. The sneak boat is to small for me, decoy's, all my gear, and a dog. I do miss having a dog at my side.

Reactions: wdlfbio and jer dog
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Very nice, that's a x-mas present from the duck gods. I'll stand-by Chessies till they day I die. They are stubborn, but that stubbornness turns into loyalty to you and your family. Don't want to turn this into a dog picking contest, but just lost her last year....

Great job, mmmm smoked duck breast...mmmmm...way to go..

Reactions: wdlfbio
Upvote 0