Thinking of taking my bass boat out of San Diego

David145

Jan 14, 2012
Ventura county
Name
David
Boat
PAC man
Hey guys I have a 18ft ranger bass boat I'm considering taking it out of San Diego to look for some patties and other fish. What are some opinions of that I have kind of mixed feelings about it

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
You're asking so i'll say don't go offshore in a Bass boat.

repo805

May 13, 2015
oxnard
Name
NickN
Boat
Skeeter 2250
Do it.. just pick your days..
I see guys that do it...
My uncle use to take his 18 foot ranger to ana capa, when weather permitted

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Hell man it fast, how bad can it be? I was out of Dana 13mile my 17 whaler last week. no issues due u have a marine radio?

cattledog1

Apr 24, 2014
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
Sportfisher C Major 7th
If you go offshore, you and all your passengers should wear PLB's and PFD's. Also, let your loved ones know when you expect to be back so they can call help if you don't make it back in time.

Unlikely you will have any problem but I would not captain a bass boat off shore with passengers on board. Ever seen a rogue wave? I have seen two in the last 30 yrs - rare but they are out there.

Guys that tell you to "pick your days" are right, butttt.... its very easy to get pushed into "going anyway" if the weather has just a little more edge on it than you expected and everyone is ready and anxious to go.

Another point is that your passengers really don't know the risks - especially children.

Chris

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
The answer is no.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Pick a glass day, it could be ok. Get your ass in before the wind picks up.

I wouldn't do it, but it has been done. 2014 when the yellowfin bite was hot on the 9 mile bank, a guy did it and posted pics. Got his limit and hauled ass back. One guy even saw him catching air off the swells.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
DO IT! Just fucking do it and don't listen to ANYONE who tells you not to.
Let that painted trailer sit in the sun all day after being fully dunked in saltwater. and don't worry about how long carpet soaked with saltwater takes to dry.

Since youre in Ventura, maybe make a test run from ventura across to santa rosa first.

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
If you’re comfortable and confident in the capabilities of your boat, go for it.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
DO IT! Just fucking do it and don't listen to ANYONE who tells you not to.
Let that painted trailer sit in the sun all day after being fully dunked in saltwater. and don't worry about how long carpet soaked with saltwater takes to dry.

Since youre in Ventura, maybe make a test run from ventura across to santa rosa first.
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

You left out making sure you have at least a couple cases of beer for the day!

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Hell man it fast, how bad can it be? I was out of Dana 13mile my 17 whaler last week. no issues due u have a marine radio?
An 18' Ranger and a 17' Whaler are pretty apples and oranges.

Asking "how bad could it be" is a bad sign to start and the answer depends a lot on how much you value the lives of those on the boat.

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
I've seen bass boats sink in the Potomac River on windy days, how bad do you want to catch a fish?

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Free board? Whalers don't have much more free board than a bass rig. Bass boats arn't allowed to sink! Don't boats have to be over 20ft befor they can sink?

Alexvi

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 6, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Alex
Boat
Rock Steady - Davis Rock Harbor #001
All joking aside, don't do it. A wrong weather forecast could cost you your life.

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
We run a 1984 Cobalt DV18 open bow offshore but it's not a bass boat, heavy deep v hull and decent comfortable freeboard. And we stay close. The only trick is avoiding a big swell swamping the open bow which has happened mildly once or twice. That's a big difference to a flat shallow bass boat.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
how many times have you taken that bass boat to local kelp beds? how many bilge pumps do you have? on the right day you could do it but if you are here asking this question I'd say no....and this is from someone that has pushed the limits...if you dont know dont go

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
I fish my nitro in the bay all the time. I even go to the point but thats it. the ranger is foam filled correct? If so you will not sink but you will get flooded. It does not take much to swmp a bass boat in rough seas. I have fished the great lake around Chicago and Detroit. I have seen bad waves and boats flip or sink. the deep v hull is mor in line with the ocean. In the bay you can do your thing.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
I'd take a hard pass on doing this. Sure you CAN do it but you SHOULDN'T do it IMO. A lot of things can happen on the ocean, winds can change very fast, a large boat can come by and create a wave well above what your boat can handle and so on. Why risk it is the better question to be asking.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Listen up...Do not take your bass boat offshore....Go buy and old 17' Boston Whaler Montauk and use it as a Bass Boat and go offshore.........Ap

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Too much negativity. If you don't have a wife and kids depending on you, at least poke your nose out. Keep going if it seems OK. Don't go further than you can get back before it becomes truly unsafe. Leave early. Expect afternoon wind and chop. Make sure your bilge pump works. And have a working VHF. And paid up insurance. Heck, my first boat was 13.5' and I took it to Catalina all the time. And that was before GPS, and radar was only for millionaires with big sportfishers (like my dream boat at the time, a 42' Uniflite).

Reactions: 7raptor and repo805

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Whalers don't sink! If you are concerned about getting swamped you can just leave the plug out. That way the water can run out the other end! As opposed to over the transom. The part that don't talk so much about is whalers like other craft float quite nicely upside down. That sort of the thing can cost a boat load of gear! Mine will be for sale before the end of the year. Got room for two boats?