Thinking of Repowering

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Darylfw, May 26, 2010.

1. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    29' Pro-line, The Four D's
    Thinking of re-powering my boat with used late model 200HP+ 4 strokes but it seems the only place I can find any thing is in FL other than waiting for something to show up in the classified or CL. Is there someplace or somebody I should check with?

2. baloot-boy

baloot-boy Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Wellcraft 202 Fisherman
    Daryl! Whats going on with the boat man? Looking for some 4-strokes. You should go 225s. Those 4-strokes are heavier than your Merc 200 2-strokes.

3. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    I'm thinking something like that. I just have to find some. BTW, when are you going to put that boat in the water?

4. baloot-boy

baloot-boy Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Wellcraft 202 Fisherman
    This weekend and maybe Tuesday as well. Wanna fish?

5. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    I was lucky and found a Suzuki 200hp with 154hrs for $7,000.00 here on the board. I drove around every where looking for a motor around here. Florida does seem to be the place for motors and boats though.

6. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    If you can't go new, then you may want to look for other boats with newer twins where owners are hard pressed to sell, probably your best bet.

Also, ebay has some good deals, and you can search within distance to avoid costly shipping.

7. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    Yeah I've been looking at some of the used boats to see if someone wanted to part with their engines. No joy so far.

8. DaveR

DaveR Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    Most sellers aren't going to want to sell just their engines, and to think that they would is rather silly....LOL

Based on the many boats I see for sale on Craigslist throughout SoCal on a daily basis, and here on BD, etc., there are a good number of boats where the asking price is worth it just for the engines alone, presuming that the engines are top working condition of course. So you'd have to part with the remaining boat & trailer, but that's doable too.

A deal on some good matching twins is out there...

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Try the ads on Classicmako.com and thehulltruth.com guys are always selling engines on there.

10. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    Unless you have engine trouble currently I'd be hesitant to repower. I don't believe in taking off working motors just to get 4-strokes. You'd have to run the boat a ton to make gas savings justify the cost of the engines (new or used).

Now if you've got a blow motor that's a different story.

I bought my 300 yamaha from FL and had it shipped to us. It was under warranty from yamaha and I was able to get it transferred to my name. Plus they could confirm the lack of warranty claims once I gave them the serial numbers. If you do find one you like have the shop print out the computer report from the engine which breaks down the hours by rpm. You can get a feel for how the engine was used with this info.

I found mine at ARG Marine in FL. They have a ton of engines listed on their website. ARG Marine: New Used Outboard Motors & Boats For Sale Dealer in Florida Evinrude & Johnson Outboard Motors,

If you go buy out of state PM me for some shipping hints before you pull the trigger. Shipping and insurance was key for us as the engine sustained some cosmetic damage while getting here. After fighting it out we got $4,200 out of them which we promptly dumped into electronics. Overall it was a great deal but stressful while it was happening.

11. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    I hear you Troy. I blew my port engine a few months back and that is the only reason I'm looking. I sent you a PM for your hints and tips. Thanks

12. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    I've been watching THT but will check out Classicmako.com

13. jbeezy

jbeezy Newbie

Name:
    J. Brown
    Boat:
    "BIG BROWN" 21ft Trophy Custom Pilot
    Check Washington, Mississippi, Carolinas, Texas and sometimes look for boat dealers in these parts, I got my 150 opti from mississippi for $2800 shipped w/ warranty, you will find something