Thinking is may not be safe anymore

Team Tom

Apr 6, 2010
Marysville
Name
Tom
Boat
26' Northriver
Yearly trailer maintenance for me includes new bearings and brake pads needed or not. Hub turning if necessary and an in-depth inspection of the calipers. I also tune or replace anything else that may need some love. My boat and trailer are old, born in 2006. My trailer torsion "arms" are cast (correct me if I'm wrong) and rust like hell. Each year I chip the rust off and spay with oil. They still rust and each year i chip a little off, but this year holly crap. When are these not safe anymore? Anyone have any knowledge around this subject?

IMG_3496.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
I think it’s time to run to 6 Robblees for some new parts! I’d rather fix it now in your driveway vs on the way to the ocean.

I’ve had decent luck spraying rust spots on my trailers with Rustoleum cold galvanizing paint, it seems to hold off the rust better than normal oil based paint.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
just spray paint that silver. Good as new.

Maybe hit the new parts with fluid film.

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Take a look at LPS 2 or LPS 3. That is what they are made for.

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
I don't think you can replace the torsion arms. They are pressed in with rubber bushings. I've had to replace a whole axle before because a spindle was bad.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Last Winter, I noticed similar scaling on the torsion arms of my 2006 EZLoader. I chipped-off all the loose stuff, wire wheeled the surfaces, treated with Ospho, and painted them with POR15. I need to pull a couple wheels, and see what they look like after a year.

Upvote 0

RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
Whole axle has to be replaced on that style and I would replace it personally. The integrity of torsion arm may be fine with some material being gone but I would worry about the actual weld from shaft to torsion arm being degraded.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

stank

May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None
Last Winter, I noticed similar scaling on the torsion arms of my 2006 EZLoader. I chipped-off all the loose stuff, wire wheeled the surfaces, treated with Ospho, and painted them with POR15. I need to pull a couple wheels, and see what they look like after a year.

Man that OSPHO is the shit...

Reactions: Tish
Upvote 0

stank

May 16, 2005
Bangkok
Name
Dave
Boat
None
I think it’s time to run to 6 Robblees for some new parts! I’d rather fix it now in your driveway vs on the way to the ocean.

I’ve had decent luck spraying rust spots on my trailers with Rustoleum cold galvanizing paint, it seems to hold off the rust better than normal oil based paint.

Treat with OSPHO first, and try the brush on ZRC cold galvanizing compound...

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
Seabeck
Name
Eric
Boat
2022 Pursuit OS325
You can probably clean it up and it might last a little longer, but each time your trailer hits a bump you're going to be looking in your rear view mirrors to see if it broke. And if it was mine, it would break at the most inopportune time.
Get a new axle, protect the new torsion arms with some type of corrosion treatment, and trailer with less worry.

Reactions: marlyn and wdlfbio
Upvote 0

bobberdoggin

‘Butt Kraken
Mar 23, 2015
Name
Thomas
Boat
22’ SeaSport Sportsman ‘Butt Kraken
Mine were about that bad when I bought my boat 4 years ago. I took a needle scaler to blast off all the big chunks then wire wheel to bare metal. Surprisingly not much steel was actually removed with all that rust. I called ez loader about it and was assured I would be fine cold galvanizing it as there is a lot more steel there then is really needed. Anyway I haven’t had any issues with them since and rust is just starting to show again through the cold galv.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Tom....

After dipping trailer in salt they have this thing called freshwater to rinse the trailer off with....replace these parts and going forward give fresh h2o a whirl after each dip.
I little Salt-Away helps also. Rust really expands making it look a lot worse than it actually is.

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
If you don't replace those now, one will break while you're doing 60 going downhill on a curve.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Id change them for sure.I owned an equipment company and was a dexter dealer for years and when i would pick up axles they had pictures of shit like that and the chaos it caused pinned to the walls.

Reactions: Team Tom
    Upvote 0

Team Tom

Apr 6, 2010
    Marysville
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    26' Northriver
    I've decided to replace these. Thanks for everyones input. Thinking my life is worth the 2 grand for two new axles. My boat sat for close to 12 months during my corrosion fiscal. Thinking as it sat the rust took charge as I rinse my trailer pretty regular.

Upvote 0

muskyman

Tina come get some ham
    Feb 10, 2005
    Loudon TN
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Crestliner 1750 Sportfish 150 E-Tec
    I shoulda never read this thread the other day. I spun a hub the next day coming home. Trashed my spindle and now I need a new axle. I keep up on my maintenance too, go figure. How long is the lifespan on the seals on hubs on a single axle ? Based off mileage, or years ? No saltwater too. I am interested in opinions.

Upvote 0