surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I'm thinking ahead to summer. I took several trips last year, and was pretty comfortable about my personal safety towards Covid-19, but the past two months have seen the situation explode even as vaccines have started becoming available.

I'm thinking ahead. Step One is deciding to go ahead and book some trips to look forward to. Step Two is really, really try to get the vaccine. Step Three is to still maintain extreme caution regarding masks and distance and groups, so that when the trips come up I will be able to get on the boat.

Step One was booking two 3-day trips on the CONDOR. Very limited loads, lots of room and A/C, big galley, excellent crew. I'm on both the Memorial Day Weekend and the Labor Day Weekend trips. The Labor Day Weekend trip is already half-full, so if you like to play with tuna at that time of year, you should give the situation your serious consideration. I also booked four all-day trips out of Redondo Beach on the Escalante, also a big boat with a big galley to rest in, and the Friday trips are limited to 20 and are jig-fishing-only yellowtail hunts, which should be a lot of fun.

Step Two was getting onto every list that I could find for the vaccine, because at 74 I'm listed to get it, and last Thursday I got an appointment at Dodger Stadium and spent two hours winding at a slow walk speed among a thousand-plus other cars zig-zagging around the huge parking lot. My 71-year old wife didn't have an appointment, but since I had already registered her, they gave her the shot as well. And we are both booked to return March 4 for the second shots.

So stay alert, keep reaching out to your family doctor and pharmacy, more shots are becoming available every week. I strongly urge you all to stay safe, and if you go ahead and start really planning and booking a trip or several for this summer and fall, you will have a stronger motivation to hang tough. Plus your trip deposit money may well make the difference in your boats' survival.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Like I said three weeks ago, you should start planning right now for your summer and fall trips. The CONDOR trip on Labor Day has just filled up, and the Memorial Day trip is one-third full. Other fine boats are getting booked, too. You are going to get your vaccine by July, and if you wait until then to start your trip planning you are likely to be disappointed. We are definitely going to have a tuna run this fall, and good fishing for yellowtail and dorado too. You should be there!

Upvote 0