Thinking about Relocating From San diego to Rio Vista (age 55+) - Fishing Tips??

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    We are considering moving from San Diego to Rio Vista (family reasons) and I am wondering about FISHING if we move. Currently I do a number of 3/4 and 1.5 day trips from SD with 2 long range thrown in. I can keep the long range, but what do I do in between ..... Emeryville for Halibut? As a transplanted NYorker I look forward to surf stripers -- if reachable from Rio Vista....all thoughts are welcome......((but I can't explain why I am staying in Calif and paying the taxes ???)))

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    You're less than 45 minutes to the Delta. Plenty of stripers there. My home office is out of Lodi and I always stay an extra few days with my buddy in Disco Bay whenever I have to fly up. Take the money you spend on the long range stuff and buy a 16 foot boat. There are so many sloughs to explore you'd never get bored. Seems we find a new one every time we go out

Upvote 0

duckdog

Arise Kill & Eat
    Mar 16, 2007
    clovis
    Name
    matt
    Boat
    1648 War Eagle
    You're less than 45 minutes to the Delta. Plenty of stripers there. My home office is out of Lodi and I always stay an extra few days with my buddy in Disco Bay whenever I have to fly up. Take the money you spend on the long range stuff and buy a 16 foot boat. There are so many sloughs to explore you'd never get bored. Seems we find a new one every time we go out
    Actually Rio Vista is on the delta, not being a smart ass but didn't want anyone to get confused. So much to do around that part of CA. You can drive to the ocean in less then an hour north or west. The delta holds excellent bass, sturgeon, American Shad etc... Plenty of upland bird, waterfowl hunting also. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    You'd be downgrading the quality of fish you catch thats for sure. Other than ocean salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    Best advice is the fishing out of Bodega Bay for Salmon/Rockcod/Lingcod/Halibut....then for freshwater...Lake Berryessa...

Rio Vista is hardly the epicenter of culture..

MAJOR DOWNGRADE from San Diego in regards to fishing variety & quality...if San Diego is a "10"....Rio Vista is a "2"

Reactions: Spoons
    Upvote 0

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
    nor cal USA
    Name
    spanky
    Boat
    sac-yac
    Rio Vista is right on the Delta. Lots of good fishing if you know what you are doing. Stripers,(l've caught them up to 40lbs, seen them caught over 50lbs) sturgeon fishermen there are almost a cult. Been lost in the Delta before too, it ain't hard to do. Best advise to you would be to spend some money on one of the numerous guides. You will not only catch fish, but learn a butt load of info about the area Then figure out if you want to invest in a boat or buddy up with one of the many locals who fish the Delta regularly. Oh, and bring some bug spray, the mosquitoes can be surgical up here.

Upvote 0

Myers

Almost A Member
    Jul 2, 2016
    Here
    Name
    Mike Myers
    Boat
    NO
    You will get used to the heat, and wind, great fishing, hunting, nice lakes in the foothills. It's where I go to get away sometimes. Tuna no, stripers, salmon, sturgeon, bass, crappie, trout, pheasant, duck, dove, pig, deer, yes. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

pooahl

Paul
    Jun 9, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    usually long range
    I live in Sac and fish the delta down that way for stripers occasionally and it can be very good - often catch lots of fish but they aren't always big. Some guys hunt the big ones and do well. You might want to get a boat and go explore. There's decent large and smallmouth bass fishing in that area as well.

I also fish a long range SD trip every year, so I know the tug of the tuna and yellows, and you're not going to get that up here. Berkeley or Emeryville is a good starting point for bay halibut and stripers, plus decent salmon fishing some years. Plus, there's rockfish and lings off the coast. What you might find enjoyable is the trout fishing on the valley rivers and up the west slope of the sierras - not a long drive from Rio Vista and lots of decent fishing. Waist-deep in a mountain stream is a great way to spend a summer afternoon.

Reactions: Freedom Roc
    Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    Best advice is the fishing out of Bodega Bay for Salmon/Rockcod/Lingcod/Halibut....then for freshwater...Lake Berryessa...

Rio Vista is hardly the epicenter of culture..

MAJOR DOWNGRADE from San Diego in regards to fishing variety & quality...if San Diego is a "10"....Rio Vista is a "2"

That rating is about accurate and my reasoning is because the fish u catch up there is questionable on being safe to eat. Anything in the delta I wouldn't touch that includes black bass, stripers, sturgeon, catfish, etc.

In the bay, maybe halibut since they only come into the bay to spawn or so they say...

Oceanwise, salmon is gonna be the cream of the crop, followed by cod and the albacore if they ever come in within 50 miles.

If you fish and release then it's great but I fish to kill and eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Upvote 0

Freedom Roc

Almost A Member
    Feb 7, 2010
    West Sacramento, CA
    Name
    Mike Dobson
    Boat
    2320 Parker
    Hell they caught a Wahoo outside the gates recently. Also, the albacore fishing can be really good and you have not seen that in SD for 4-5 years. Don;t get me wrong, I head to SD every year for a long range trip and there is nothing like a BFT pulling you to the rail. However, the delta, bay and outside the gates can offer fantastic fishing!!! Welcome to No. CA..see you on the water

Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    The sturgeon is OVERSIZED!!! & it is ILLEGAL & AGAINST Fish & Game rules & regulations to REMOVE from the WATER:mad:

The last photo is a spawned OUT salmon...NOT worth feeding to a starving dog

Upvote 0

The Dr.

Almost A Member
    May 5, 2015
    Name
    Kenji
    Boat
    Ranger 521VX
    The sturgeon is OVERSIZED!!! & it is ILLEGAL & AGAINST Fish & Game rules & regulations to REMOVE from the WATER:mad:

The last photo is a spawned OUT salmon...NOT worth feeding to a starving dog
    Actually that sturgeon taped out at 63.5 inches. I'm 5'7" and my dad is smaller, we make a lot of sturgeon look big..

And the I don't eat river salmon, just fish them for fun or sometimes for roe.

But thanks for your A$$hole remarks, makes you look real smart

Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    Actually that sturgeon taped out at 63.5 inches. I'm 5'7" and my dad is smaller, we make a lot of sturgeon look big..

And the I don't eat river salmon, just fish them for fun or sometimes for roe.

But thanks for your A$$hole remarks, makes you look real smart

If being as you claimed "A$$hole" remarks means that I OBEY fish & game regulations & YOU DON'T!!!....then YES...I'm an "A$$hole"...

Here's the fish & game sturgeon regulations...

The recreational fishery for white sturgeon (PDF) (Acipenser transmontanus) remains open year-round. The daily bag and possession limit is one fish that must be between 40 inches and 60 inches fork length. The annual limit is three (3) sturgeon per person. Short or oversized sturgeon must be released unharmed immediately;

Removing the OVERSIZED sturgeon from the water, THEN removing the hook & THEN measuring it & THEN holding it up for a self-aggrandizing photo to post on your Facebook page is NOT even in the distance realm of "released unharmed IMMEDIATELY!!!"...

You were MORE concerned & placed more value & emphasis on a photo THEN the proper CARE & Release of that sturgeon...that is patiently self evident there your true interests lay

Your feeble, impotent attempt at justifying your ILLEGAL actions is moronic!!!

That sturgeon is closer to 6ft then 63.5 inches....even your tape measure...like you...is full of:shithappens:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 23, 2010
    Norcal's Brentwood
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    Nice top water fish Kenji. The zombie is not a spawned out fish, clearly a lower system fish from the pic's background, on it's way to spawn. Always a challenge to find when they come through, lots of fun to catch on a jig,,,gregg

Upvote 0

Latest posts