A-K

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 14, 2015
Washington
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2320
Well…This is my first post on this forum. Long story short I've been wanting to "upgrade" to a larger or more capable boat for about 2 years. I've had my eye on the Defiance line for quite sometime. Right now I'm fishing from a 20' Trophy and she has served me well. But, I want to fish the bigger water and take longer trips and be able to fish more comfortably (3 people with gear in my Trophy is too small).

So, I spoke to the Defiance folks at the boat show today and I think I'm going to step up and get serious on a 250 EX Admiral. I want to have twin Yamaha 150's, second station, heater/defrost, 42 gallon bait tank, and some other options added to the boat. There are a ton of things I love about the 250EX and only a few things I don't like.

This is a huge commitment for me. And have never purchased anything this size aside from my house. I have some money I'm going to put down and the rest will be financed. So the deal breaker for me at this point is what my monthly payment will be, and also if that will leave me enough money to operate the boat without living on Top Roman.

Anyone want to chime in with any tips or comments that could help make the purchase smooth.

Kind of looking for advice of what you would do different, upgrades you wish you made or didn't make, financing, dealing with the builder, ECT.

I have a truck that can pull the boat, and already have a storage spot.

I also know there are a lot of pilot house owners on this site so that means a lot of experience to learn from.

Reactions: Stair Guy

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
That 250 at the show had me doing double takes. Defiance is a great local brand and does good shit. Work out a hell of a deal and do it.

There's a good thread on financing. Look up "interest rates." As for upgrades etc... The threads on Salmonator, Goochlarue's build, Goatram's build and Mark Coleman's 290 Guadalupe are all good reads.

Enjoy getting rid of the trophy.

Reactions: A-K

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
Also, make sure it has plenty of fireball and room for me. [emoji867][emoji867][emoji867][emoji867]

A-K

Jun 14, 2015
Washington
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2320
Ya the 250 is bad to the bone. I'm going to take one out next week and see how she rides.

That 250 at the show had me doing double takes. Defiance is a great local brand and does good shit. Work out a hell of a deal and do it.

There's a good thread on financing. Look up "interest rates." As for upgrades etc... The threads on Salmonator, Goochlarue's build, Goatram's build and Mark Coleman's 290 Guadalupe are all good reads.

Enjoy getting rid of the trophy.

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I really--REALLY, am not trying to talk you out of it--really. Just tossing in an idea or two, that may/may not do anything for you. "Less is more"--for me, that has proven true. You say you CAN pull it with your truck? Comfortably or at the extreme limit of what your truck can do--it matters. If you are only going to the local ramp, doesn't matter as much, of course, but still, think that through. Do you have people to share expenses with when you take her out--it also matters. Have you asked yourself if a nice 22, 23 foot boat would take care of 99 Percent of your needs? Two more feet is a LOT more money, weight, tow strain, fuel burn.
I know--if that's what you want, it is a GREAT boat and I know you will love having her--just saying. There are trade-offs with ANY design, you know that, just saying that for all that money, you might get what you actually need with far less up front, and ongoing expense.

A-K

Jun 14, 2015
Washington
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2320
Oh trust me I understand what your saying and you've made some excellent points. I've asked myself the same questions over the years. So the answers to your questions are Yes, Yes, and Maybe.

It seems with boats and everything else in life there is a trade off. When you gain something you loss something and vise versa.

For now I'm going to follow through with the original plan until it's not logical or practical anymore (if that is even possible to do when justifying a boat).

I really--REALLY, am not trying to talk you out of it--really. Just tossing in an idea or two, that may/may not do anything for you. "Less is more"--for me, that has proven true. You say you CAN pull it with your truck? Comfortably or at the extreme limit of what your truck can do--it matters. If you are only going to the local ramp, doesn't matter as much, of course, but still, think that through. Do you have people to share expenses with when you take her out--it also matters. Have you asked yourself if a nice 22, 23 foot boat would take care of 99 Percent of your needs? Two more feet is a LOT more money, weight, tow strain, fuel burn.
I know--if that's what you want, it is a GREAT boat and I know you will love having her--just saying. There are trade-offs with ANY design, you know that, just saying that for all that money, you might get what you actually need with far less up front, and ongoing expense.

Phish'n Phool

Jul 15, 2010
Wet Side
Name
Par
Boat
Grady White Marlin
That's a nice defiance. You won't regret buying a bigger boat. That's a big upgrade from a trophy. My only advice is to consider finding one used. Let someone else rig it and buy it at a discount a few years later. Although it might take time to find the exact right one.

A-K

Jun 14, 2015
Washington
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2320
Ya I've considered that option as well and may go that route. Probably just take my mind off it for a couple days until I contact a lender and see what becomes of that.

That's a nice defiance. You won't regret buying a bigger boat. That's a big upgrade from a trophy. My only advice is to consider finding one used. Let someone else rig it and buy it at a discount a few years later. Although it might take time to find the exact right one.

moravec

Boston Whaler 18' Outrage
Nov 29, 2008
Snoqualmie, WA
Name
Andrew Moravec
Boat
Boston Whaler 18; Outrage
If you plan on searching for used, be prepared to wait a long while as there aren't many used Defiance on the market. Be prepared to compromise with how you would outfit it vs. how the previous owner has it outfitted. Accept the fact that if you do find one used you will have a very short window to set up financing as all premium boat brands in used sell quickly. Also find out if the hull warranty transfers to a second owner. I think you would get alot of satisfaction and remove most of the headaches if you pull the trigger on a new... just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
I just went through this dilemma. I was going to purchase a used Boston Whaler Conquest 285. Nice boat that will not sink. I really like the will not sink part. Overall, after all the consideration and precious input from people on the BD boards, it became apparent to me that my Boston Whaler Outrage 230 was a better boat, overall because of all of the variables. Tens of thousands of dollars are big bucks for a working man. If you have a large wallet, buy anything you want and take the hit. If not, you may want to think about the versatility of what you have......You will do what your enthusiasm dictates. If you go for it, be sure to chime in a few years from now and tell me your overall conclusion.......
There is one for $56K on POP Yachts.......and a new one for $96K in TX

64 sleeper

Father Fisherman Hunter
Nov 30, 2012
Santa Ynez/CA/USA
Name
Erik
Boat
North River Seahawk
I have been looking at those boats too. 25 is a sweet ride. I would never buy new though. I got my North River for $32,000. And it would have been over 50 new. It was rigged to the hilt and had 70 hours on it. Get you money and financing all together and while you are waiting for one to come up pay monthly payment to yourself. Then when you buy a used one you can customize it for yourself. Let someone else lose 20 grand the first couple years to own it brand new.

Austin Kleine

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, wa
Name
Austin Kleine
Boat
250 Admiral "Rumblefish"
We got a new 250 last season. Rigged with twin suzuki 150. Sips fuel. Most tuna runs we burn 40 gal with 4 big guys in the boat. The suzuki are fly by wire throttles so putting aft controls was a fraction of the price as other brands. Feel free to pm if you have any other questions

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
You will get a ton of boat knowledge / experience on this forum as far as your own personal finances are concerned this is all for you to decide. What I'm trying to say to you A-K is that it's really REALLY easy for the rest of us to spend your money for you. There are some deep pockets on this board that can drop on a purchase that big as if it was a candy bar. Be wise in your endeavors...

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
I rode in a 2520 Parker XLD in Hawaii. If I was looking at a 25' boat that one would be high on my list.

You find them used for $70-$100k.

Huge deck and handled a very rough ocean well.

Downside- no floor fish boxes so for tuna you have to get a tote, kill bags or coolers.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
I'm biased but I would definitely recommend looking at a Parker. Bring a tape measure and look at the weight of the two boats. Stomp around on the deck, knock on the hull. Talk to people that have fished on both of them, two tap Pat should be able to help in that regard.

I did extensive research before I bought my boat. Feel free to pm me if you want more details on why I decided to go with a Parker.

If you do go defiance don't go used, the newer boats are greatly improved from what they used to be.

Ragin Cajun

There's no better place than on the water!
Apr 17, 2014
Port Orchard
Name
Pete
Boat
Defiance Admiral 270,
I love my 22 ft defiance. Pm me if you have some specific questions. Cornfed would be the guy to talk too. He just sold his 25 to upgrade to the 29. I know he fished the crap out of that boat. Pete

Gooch Larue

Aug 22, 2014
Name
Chris Holmes
Boat
29' North River "Thunder Road"
A-k
Welcome to BD.. And good luck on your new boat.

I spent lots of time last weekend looking at the Defiance Glass boats. I believe they are the best PNW glass boat on the market hands down. And there Tin is also really nice..
Have you asked them to price the boat with Honda 150's. Not trying to start a Honda Yam or Zuk fight they are all great. Only that Honda has some very competitive financing and I think they have some rebates going on now.

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
Before you pull the trigger on a 25' Defiance, you might be able to swing Kerry's OffShore NW boat for under the new price and get way more boat. Its a 28' Parker and nice Trailer. Still trailerable, and if i heard correctly its pretty much coming rigged as if he would run a charter the day after he sold it. A little maintenance to it, and you might be set. Look under the classifieds if he hasn't sold it yet but rumor says it might not be on the market much longer.....

Reactions: Waterdog~