RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I really don't need another reel, like buying another car or fishing rod. I have too many hole in my head already. However, I am considering it and have been doing some basic research.

First, using it for Wahoo, school tuna and YT or whatever passes by.

Second, I want a two speed, since I really like them over a single speed (getting old).

I've read on the Accurate, Valiant and Dauntless; Avet LX and HX; and Okuma Andros. Is the Okuma 12 consider
600 size reel or what? Trying to compare apples to apples.

I really like to here the plus and minus to each reel, for fishing. Any maintenance issues?

I know inches per crank is important (especially to Bill). They are all in the mid to high 40 inches (44 to 48). I know the single speed Accurate Valiant comes in a 7.0:1 ratio model that about 62 inches per crank but it's a single speed.

Let me know your thoughts, especially those that have used them.

Thanks for your input.

Rich

bbuck

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
I would suggest the Avet LX Raptor 2spd. Will give you enough line capacity, gear ratio and drag to do what you describe. These reels are easy to work on and are manufactured locally. In fact you can take or UPS them to the factory in Chatsworth and they will repair or service them while you wait. The last time I took my JX in for service due to a free spool issue, they serviced and replaced all the bearings for $20.00 If you really want to get fancy, you can bump up to the HX series and get it in 3spd.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I would suggest the Avet LX Raptor 2spd. Will give you enough line capacity, gear ratio and drag to do what you describe. These reels are easy to work on and are manufactured locally. In fact you can take or UPS them to the factory in Chatsworth and they will repair or service them while you wait. The last time I took my JX in for service due to a free spool issue, they serviced and replaced all the bearings for $20.00 If you really want to get fancy, you can bump up to the HX series and get it in 3spd.
Thanks Buck. I have a LX and LX Raptor, which I like. I know where the factory is, I've been there and their repair work is good. I've looked at the HX. The LX get 46 inches per crank and the HX 47 inches. The HX Raptor is a 5.4:1 and 1.9:1 ratio while the 3 speed is 5.4:1, 2.4:1 and 1.3:1. Not sure if the 3 speed in this model is that useful for me.

I'm just trying to see what everyone is using these days and get their opinion.

Rich.

Reactions: rexor_rn

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
I have both LX and JX in two speed configuration, in standard and Raptor. Personally I like the JX Raptor for school grade fish. For wahoo, I prefer a star drag single speed reel for jigs/bombs.

Reactions: Olddog8 and RichG

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I have an 8 years old HX 5/2 with a whole bunch of fish on it, and zero problems. I really love the pop-up trolling lugs, and it just feels good in my hands. It is one of the two reels in my arsenal (old Penn Baja Special is the other) that when I think about buying an additional reel to upgrade some capability, I put those aside and say, "Nah, those are perfect."

Reactions: Cubanaso and RichG

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I'll be using the Accurate Valiant 600N for Wahoo and yoyo paired up with a UC US 70XH. You could go with the two speed, but I went with the single for the retrieve rate plus don't see a need for 2 speed in this situation.

Reactions: Bill W and RichG

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Penn 40 nld

To clarify, be sure to add a "2" to the end of the stock # to indicate a two-speed, since there are a couple of single-speed versions with this size designation.
For the work the OP describes, the "40N" size is excellent, and either the Fathom FTH40NLD [around $299 retail], or the Torque TRQ40NLD2 [around $599 retail] would be good choices.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I have a torque 40nld2 and have used it and caught wahoo with it but personally I think it's over kill for that. As a yo yo and bait option I think it's a great choice

For wahoo I love the torque 25 star drag. It sits low to the rod and I have no issue picking up line fast enough and it has more than enough drag to handle hoo. It also casts a jig a long way. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a yo yo reel in local waters either. I think South of Cedros the 40nld2 is a better option with larger fish in play

Reactions: Bill W and RichG

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
I really don't need another reel, like buying another car or fishing rod. I have too many hole in my head already. However, I am considering it and have been doing some basic research.

Second, I want a two speed, since I really like them over a single speed (getting old).

I've read on the Accurate, Valiant and Dauntless; Avet LX and HX; and Okuma Andros. Is the Okuma 12 consider

I really like to here the plus and minus to each reel, for fishing. Any maintenance issues?

I know inches per crank is important (especially to Bill). They are all in the mid to high 40 inches (44 to 48). I know the single speed Accurate Valiant comes in a 7.0:1 ratio model that about 62 inches per crank but it's a single speed.

Thanks for your input.

Rich
Lots of choices out there, Let us know what you wind up with?

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler

Thanks for your input.

Rich
Are you using for bait or jigs? I am assuming jigs since you mentioned IPC.?
Some food for thought:
The JX is the narrower version of your LX. Awesome all around reel. The HX is the step up in size. Another awesome reel. No need for the 3 speed unless you are targeting fish over 100#. Personally I would only buy the Raptors. Not a big fan of the LX (As anyone would not be that has the thumb length of a 7 year old girl...!) Cost may be a factor for Raptors. Easy maintenance.
The Andros is also a good reel. Get the "S" model for jigs. The other is for bait. About $100 cheaper than Raptor above. Also easy maintenance.
Not familiar with Accurate but from what I have heard are far more maintenance intensive.
So it will come down to features vs dollars. If budget minded the Okuma 12 would fit the bill nicely. Pluses for the Avet include color of choice.
I am sure others with experience will chime in on the Accurates.
Though not mentioned, a 25NLD2 or 30LD2 Fathom would work for you as well. The 2 speed that is "Best in class" for the price point. Little lower in IPC but could get the job done, no doubt. Also easy maintenance.
For what you are describing the JX Raptor would be best of the bunch (To me) for what you want to use it for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olddog8 and RichG

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Lots of choices out there, Let us know what you wind up with?
I’m just thinking. There are a lot of choices. The Valiant with the 7.0 ratio is tempting, but I really want a two speed. I’ll most likely ask a bit at Fred Hall. I’ll let you know.

Reactions: Steve K

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
How bout the new 600N 2-spd Valiant ?

Reactions: RichG

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
I had a Dauntless 600N 2spd - Loved it but just sold it to buy the new Valiant 600N 2spd.
Much more compact and lighter BUT have not fished it yet. The jury is still out !

I also just got the Dauntless 600 wide/standard version.
Havent fished it but looks like a winner since I am sure it will perform like its little brother, the 600N i just sold.

If I were to do it all over again. I shouldve just bought the 600 over the 600N a couple years ago. The 600 is not too much wider and barely 2 ounces heavier than the 600N and it'll allow you to fish a bigger grade of fish.

Good luck in your decision and feel free to ask more questions.

Gerry

Last edited:

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Thanks Gerry. Let us know how you like your new reels. I have a 665H and it’s a bit heavy but a good reel.

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
I’m just thinking. There are a lot of choices. The Valiant with the 7.0 ratio is tempting, but I really want a two speed. I’ll most likely ask a bit at Fred Hall. I’ll let you know.
If it just for Wahoo the single speed Valiant w 53” per crank is tempting.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
It’s more like 60 while the two speed are around 48. However it won’t be just for wahoo. I’ll keep dreaming.
Rich, call down and ask for Leo to bring one of the new Valiant 500 or 600N for you to test drive on June Heat. Definitely a two speed if you’re tossing jigs down at the Hurricane Bank as I watched Gary Teraoka toss a jig as we were coming tight on the anchor and he hooked a Tuna on a painted 6X Jr. I’m sure we can coax the details out of him for his blog. I’ll check with him via email.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Rich, call down and ask for Leo to bring one of the new Valiant 500 or 600N for you to test drive on June Heat. Definitely a two speed if you’re tossing jigs down at the Hurricane Bank as I watched Gary Teraoka toss a jig as we were coming tight on the anchor and he hooked a Tuna on a painted 6X Jr. I’m sure we can coax the details out of him for his blog. I’ll check with him via email.
I was thinking the same thing. Just debating about the single speed with the 7 to 1 ratio, but really prefer a two speed.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I was thinking the same thing. Just debating about the single speed with the 7 to 1 ratio, but really prefer a two speed.
I heard back from Gary. It was a Valiant 600N, 65 lb spectra, 60 lb mono, tuna about 65-70 lbs.

It’s for the possibility of a tuna jumping on a jig (especially one of the bright shiny ones like a Catchy 33 or a Raider) that I use my 600N for that down at the Bank. I fished it filled with Spectra tied to a short piece of 130 lb flouro. Ridge Wahoo, single speed, for me, no problem. Trinidad 40 for me, long mono top shot. Also my choice for slinging Bombs.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Steve, to change the subject. Did you every find a left handed reel for Alex? How'd he do?

PezGallo21

Social Media and Customer Service
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just wanted to clarify, the 7:1 ratio is found on the BVL-600 which is our light line special, so it is designed for 16-30 pound mono. The "regular" BV-600 single speeds come in either a 6:1 or 4:1 ratio (53 and 35 inches per crank respectively). For wahoo, the 600 has been very popular, especially the 600N because many people prefer the narrow models to cast. The BV2-600 models have a 5:1/2.2:1 gear ratio with 44 and 19 inches per crank respectively.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Steve, to change the subject. Did you every find a left handed reel for Alex? How'd he do?
Zero luck except for our chartermaster who came through with an Accurate suitable for Wahoo but too small for tuna. Alex enjoyed the trip.