OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Toyota is one of the few companies that has their shit right when it comes to market. The way they build vehicles almost makes sure that unforeseen nuances or potential issues get resolved on the factory floor, not at the service writers counter. I bought a first generation Tacoma right after it hit the dealership in 1995. It was a radically different design than the 8000 series before that. The only problem that came up was a recall to add a little more steel to the upper control arms on the newly redesigned suspension after a couple of well used V6 stake bed models developed some stress cracks that was caught by the techs when they came in for service. This was done within 6 months after they hit the market, not after years of complaints to service writers.

bentbaitstick

Sep 11, 2012
Socal
Name
Charley Tabbara
Boat
Boat
Get yourself a extended cab truck. I usually will roll down passenger window and guide my 9’-10’ roc’s out the back sliding glass. Butts lay in the passenger side floorboard. Don’t want my rods catching a cold outside 😂.

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
Camo Whammo
I put well over 200K on first Tundra Gen. I'd still own it if they didnt come out with #2. Now on 150K of 2nd Gen. No issues, No plans to sell unless they go diesel.

It's a Toyota!

To clarify, 2000 and 2007. Both first year trucks bought that year.

No doubt Toyota has had the competition beat on longevity for awhile. I currently have over 300k on a legendary 5VZ-FE. Just recently bought a Swagger Wagon with the 2GR-FE to haul the family. But also did my homework on which years had lesser issues than the other to minimize headaches. The latest Toyotas unfortunately have had issues with the new gen rollouts but they've also been reasonably quick with the fixes.

nate

Oct 9, 2003
San Diego
Name
Nate
Boat
gone
I have a 2020 Silverado and my rods, reel bags, tackle boxes and duffle bags all ride inside the cab with me the whole 7 hour ride South. I take 8-12 rods up to 8ft with no issue with Butts I. The corner and tips to the windshield. Only things that ride in the bed are my boots and 2-3 big coolers
I have a F150 four door and I do the same. I can fit 8-10 rods up to 8’ in the cab with me.

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    You would be surprised how much room is inside the Toyota Crew Cab. You can put long rods on an angle inside. Also Toyota Trucks resale value is the highest of thr other truck manufactures. I've owned the Toyota full size trucks since 2007 and never had any problems and I couldn't be any happier. If you decide to get on, Make sure to get the 5.7 Motor.

Last edited:
    Reactions: dh515 and KXKH

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    How many trucks do you see on the road ? Fishing poles and gear no problem , 250 quart yeti cooler no problem , favorite camping chair no problem , put the wife on a time out in the bed of the truck BIG problem , go buy a truck its everything you want it too be

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
    la
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    goldfish
    buy a cyber truck. you dont need a camper shell. it cheaper than a tundra or a dodge ram. buy the 2 motor 4 wheel drive only $49000.

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
  • Aug 10, 2005
    VISTA CA
    www.LongerShelfLife.com
    Name
    MARK aka "Mako"
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
    I am selling my 96F250 7.3 Powerstroke.. extra cab .. room for your short poles and tackle or add a cap to the long bed,. to lock up your surf poles runs great .pulls like a tow truck.. bed..https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/1996-ford-f250-super-cab-7-3-powerstroke.769080/#post-5360757

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    I came here to echo what Skrilla said, with the entirely new powertrain Toyota is putting into the Tundra redesign I would not want to be a guinea pig. Those older Tacomas and Tundras are bulletproof (except for the front A arms on the early 2000s Tacos, some real engineering problems there), but Toyota had a real problem with the 2015 Tacomas and one of the engine offerings where they'd show problems starting around 50-60k mi but wouldn't be acknowledged or fully addressed by the dealer until the 100k warranty lapsed, and would necessitate the replacement of the engine. They addressed it for the most part over the '16-17' builds I believe, and by '18 I think it was over for sure, but even still it's had a lasting impact on the market. There were other economic considerations as well, but this time last year used '18-19 Tacomas with less than 50-60k mi on it were going for more than a similarly equipped brand new 2020 model off the lot, partially because people were averse to having to deal with that kind of issue. I'm not as well versed on the Tundras, as I was mostly looking into the market for a Tacoma last year and that was the result of my research, as well as some other reliability issues being reported with newer Tacomas.

They're still very good, and I'm probably still going to buy Toyota when I need to replace my SUV but it's worth noting they're not nearly what they were 10 years ago.

Reactions: dsl

Rjunky

professionally unprofessional
    Sep 12, 2015
    Santa Clarita CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    26 osprey lc
    also think about what boat you want or how big of camper your gunna get. i went from suv and small CC boat to 20' cc and an F150 to now 26'pilothouse and F250. upgrading constantly is expensive lol. but i would usually just bungee over the rods in the back of the f150 from the tie downs. and that was good enough to hold em in place. now i just throw em inside the pilothouse and not think about it. good luck!

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    "I don't want any verticle rod rocks that are advertising my rods and can get smashed going under a low clearance";
    I put A PCV Tume inside my truck bed, and put stick's in it.

Upvote 0

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
  • Aug 10, 2005
    VISTA CA
    www.LongerShelfLife.com
    Name
    MARK aka "Mako"
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
    I am selling my 96F250 7.3 Powerstroke.. extra cab .. room for your short poles and tackle or add a cap to the long bed,. to lock up your surf poles runs great .pulls like a tow truck.. bed..https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/1996-ford-f250-super-cab-7-3-powerstroke.769080/#post-5360757
    Still have my f250 for sale... HMU need the room in my driveway

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone
    Well I am finally thinking about buying a truck..
    Pretty much had SUV's last 25 years
    May eventually be towing a boat and/or airstream or similar -but do not have the boat or airstream yet...

the question that has always bothered me about trucks...
    WHERE THE HELL DO I PUT MY FISHING POLES?

the main reason I have never bought a truck is due to my fishing poles. I don't want them leaning in the back or falling out of the truck or getting stolen at the gas station or I have to keep an eagle eye on them whenever I put them in the truck. I will not be getting a long bed- I will be getting an average bed. Probably Ram 1500 Laramie or possible wait for the 2022 Tundra redesign this fall.
    since I bring about 8 to 10 rods even for a day trip (yeah It's nuts-popping/jigging/bait and kite setups etc...) where do they go in the truck?
    do I just leave that back window thing open and stick them through there?
    I am amazed that there isn't a truck that has a opening from the bed into the rear seats so you can open when needed and lay the rods flat. .. I dont want any verticle rod rocks that are advertising my rods and can get smashed going under a low clearance. ..

first world problems I know..
    Any ideas ,thoughts or solutions?

thank you

I have the same dilemma you have. Both have their + & -'s. I looked at my lifestyle from all angles, not just fishing. Aside from fishing, I am not normally hauling other materials that I would not like to put or would fit inside and SUV, and yes, their are time where I wish I had a truck and I am sure this wish would be opposite if I did have a truck.

If I had a truck and put a shell on, that means I have to buy one, then it would be like an SUV without the access from the inside. The biggest + for me was that I could lay the seats down and sleep in it, I am sure you can do this in the bed of a truck also, but at the end of the day, I would need a truck with an extra cab and a shell to fit my lifestyle. I already address the shell issue with me, but the overall length would not have fit inside my garage, so an SUV it was (midsize if that's what a 4Runner is).

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I have the same dilemma you have. Both have their + & -'s. I looked at my lifestyle from all angles, not just fishing. Aside from fishing, I am not normally hauling other materials that I would not like to put or would fit inside and SUV, and yes, their are time where I wish I had a truck and I am sure this wish would be opposite if I did have a truck.

If I had a truck and put a shell on, that means I have to buy one, then it would be like an SUV without the access from the inside. The biggest + for me was that I could lay the seats down and sleep in it, I am sure you can do this in the bed of a truck also, but at the end of the day, I would need a truck with an extra cab and a shell to fit my lifestyle. I already address the shell issue with me, but the overall length would not have fit inside my garage, so an SUV it was (midsize if that's what a 4Runner is).
    A lot more room in the FLEX .

Upvote 0

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on

update is I bought a Ram 1500 limited about 10 days ago.
    I love it so far-but haven't put the rods in it yet.. It will appear they will be going through the sliding rear window.

Upvote 0

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Lakeside
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    the big one with 30 other people
    In my Tacoma I would just feed the rods through the rear window to the passenger floor board.

Upvote 0