Thinking about a new Yamaha 300hp outboard - trolling OK?

luckydude

Jan 22, 2018
santa cruz
Name
Larry McVoy
Boat
Considering Triumphs and similar
My Grady White dealer is telling me there is no need for a kicker with a modern Yammie 4 stroke, they troll just fine. I've always used a kicker for trolling.

Searching around there is something called "making oil" which seems to happen to the bigger Yamahas. Long periods of trolling means the engine is cool, apparently the big motors will leak gas into the oil. Or so the intertubes say.

Anyone trolling 5-6 hours at a crack (salmon usually) with a 2018 or newer 300hp Yamaha? Any issues? How many days have you done that and do you check your oil level regularly?

Thanks in advance.

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Break the motor in properly and according to the owners manual and you will not have any making oil issues. Those motors like to get up in the rpm range and drink fuel so read the manual, break it in, and on occasion drive it like you stole it.....

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
I would rather put those hours on a kicker. If you ever want to sell/upgrade that motor it will be a lot easier with lower hours and command a higher dollar

Reactions: openclass
Mar 11, 2012
Bremerton & Hoko, WA
www.vomHoko.com
Name
Joel Davis
Boat
Shamrock 260 Cuddy LE Keel Drive; Cummins 6BT5.9M 210 HP
My Grady White dealer is telling me there is no need for a kicker with a modern Yammie 4 stroke, they troll just fine. I've always used a kicker for trolling.

Searching around there is something called "making oil" which seems to happen to the bigger Yamahas. Long periods of trolling means the engine is cool, apparently the big motors will leak gas into the oil. Or so the intertubes say.

Anyone trolling 5-6 hours at a crack (salmon usually) with a 2018 or newer 300hp Yamaha? Any issues? How many days have you done that and do you check your oil level regularly?

Thanks in advance.
The making oil syndrome is real, as I experienced with my Y100. I believe in realistic expectations of the right tool for the right job. And while I would hope technology of the newer motors might improve performance of hybrid functions, one should expect reasonable compromises in optimal performance if not using the right tool for the job. In this context,...use a lower value trolling motor for trolling and use the higher value motor, for motoring. My $0.02

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Allied Gardens
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Get a kicker, better for main engine.

Isn't this the reason why?

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
2018 F300. Followed break in to the TEE !! "Made"
over a quart in 20 hours. Ran it like a bitch next 3 times out, now at 38 hours, oil level is stable. Had Blackstone analyzation also. Read all about it on Hull Truth, Hard to seat rings on the plasma coated cylinders with there break in schedule. Quite sure I'm good to go but would still use kicker for extended trolling or bounce Balling.