blowboater

Fishing with Papa
Feb 19, 2004
san diego
Name
Joel
Boat
35' cheoy lee - Sold
Anyone know of GWP pups available? Or soon to be available. We're thinking of getting our daughter a pup for her birthday in June. I would like to have a pointer. Then she (the dog :-) can do some part time hunting duties as well.

My wife wants a golden but I'm not crazy about them. I have hunted over German Shorthair's and think a Wirehair would be cool.

Dog doesn't need to have a pedigree 3' long - but I do want a history of healthy parents, etc.

Cheers,

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    My wife shows Great Danes and we go to dog shows all the time. Dog shows are a terrific place to find a really great "pet" dog. Breeders of show dogs have a breed standard they are trying to acheive and in many litters you get puppies that may not have the perfect color or some other show fault that makes the pup less desireable in the show ring but the perfect dog for your daughter. This fault could be as slight a inch in height or broad head. Something you would probably never even notice. These dogs have terrific temperaments, a show dog must be great around other dogs and people. Most show dog breeders do medical testing and strive for longevity in there line. When we do a breeding a typical litter will have about half the litter be Pet Puppies due to coloring. We are looking for good pet home that will take great care of our puppies. These puppies sell for 1/3 to 1/2 of what we sell show dogs for.

Here is a link to dog show schedule http://www.jbradshaw.com/shows.htm
    I would suggest you go to a dog show and talk to the people around the ring where they are showing German Wirehair Pointers. Ask if they know of any litters coming up and they will most likely be able to help you.

Good luck finding your new hunting buddy.

Here is a photo of my furry kids.

Attachments

• 1506545_10202722398891831_372237853_n.jpg
      1506545_10202722398891831_372237853_n.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 122
    Upvote 0

MJB

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    sold it!!
    Wire hair is great for thick cover they loose the hair in the thick stuff and save the flesh

try NAVDA for good hunting dogs

Upvote 0

blowboater

Fishing with Papa
    Feb 19, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    Joel
    Boat
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    John G - really good input. I have friends that raise show dogs - and one's that raise hunters. Good tip on looking for a pup that wouldn't pass muster in the ring but would be a great pet/hunter.

And thanks ATF. Will do.

Upvote 0

pastdue

Almost A Member
    May 18, 2006
    Mira Mesa
    Name
    Don Cale
    Boat
    18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
    Get the best of both worlds love of a Golden and the hunt of your Wirehair then when you leave the house they can play together

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I have to disagree with the show dog route, contrary to what was said show dog breeders breed for one thing, APPEARANCE. You want a Field Dog with great hunting instincts and trainability. There is a North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) club in San Diego and there are a few German Wirehaired members which could lead you to a reputable breeder; if the parents are members there could be some testing history you could do some research on. Google NAVHDA and contact the local club for info, they meet at least once a month. If you do get a Pointer, join the club and they will help you train you and your dog to become a great hunting team in no time! Jeff Derbes is the current President and he will get you headed in the right direction quick!

Upvote 0

blowboater

Fishing with Papa
    Feb 19, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    Joel
    Boat
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    Get the best of both worlds love of a Golden and the hunt of your Wirehair then when you leave the house they can play together

actually thinking of that - but one dog at a time. i have 3 and 7 year old kids. one dog at a time...

Upvote 0

blowboater

Fishing with Papa
    Feb 19, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    Joel
    Boat
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    I have to disagree with the show dog route, contrary to what was said show dog breeders breed for one thing, APPEARANCE. You want a Field Dog with great hunting instincts and trainability. There is a North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) club in San Diego and there are a few German Wirehaired members which could lead you to a reputable breeder; if the parents are members there could be some testing history you could do some research on. Google NAVHDA and contact the local club for info, they meet at least once a month. If you do get a Pointer, join the club and they will help you train you and your dog to become a great hunting team in no time! Jeff Derbes is the current President and he will get you headed in the right direction quick!

i looked them up and someone there is posting pups! i sent a message. might be a hit.

Upvote 0