Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    It's been a LONG time since I wrapped anything. I'm thinking about rewrapping some old finesse spinning rods and various other rods. I used to wrap finesse rods with the thinnest coat of Flex-coat I could get to completely cover/saturate wraps. I did this to save weight and increase sensitivity. Usually it seemed to hold up well, but occasionally it wouldn't. Temperature during curing, and completeness of mixing seemed to be the deciding factor on durability. Am I right on that assessment? Is Flex-coat still the gold standard for rod wrapping? Is there any reason to go thick with the epoxy, if I like the looks of a thin coat? - I also plan on rewrapping a heavy swimbait rod. Should I go thicker on it?

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    I dont go too thin, or too thick. And most people have gone away from Flex Coat. Its still good, but there have been some advancements in epoxy. Most people have switched to Generation 4 Epoxy. Its virtually bubble free.

I personally use Pro Kote, and Gen 4, but my garage gets to freezing temp, so Gen 4 doesnt work well when its freezing. And the minor grams of weight youre going to save by not applying epoxy how its supposed to be is going to just cause you to reapply epoxy later on because its not gona work well.

And blanks are made with the anticipation that guides and epoxy are going to be put on, so the sensitivity is not going to be affected as much as you think.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 20, 2011
    Thornton
    Name
    Chuck Mc
    Boat
    none
    I personally use Pro Kote

If I may ask, why? I've read of many complaints. Generally having to do with mislabeling. Many people seem to get two bottles of resin, one labeled as hardener. Why would you risk your threadwork to chance? What is it that you like about it compared to other finishes, that you are willing to take that risk?

and Gen 4, but my garage gets to freezing temp, so Gen 4 doesn't work well when its freezing.
    Frankly, I don't know of a finish that does work well in the cold. Have you considered building a drying box or covering of some sort, with a heat source?

Upvote 0

Tyler Doan

Nov 9, 2016
    Anaheim
    Name
    Tyler
    Boat
    Parker 2520 MV
    I think you should take a look at Classic Rod Coat, I've used this for many year and so far no yellowing or decay. But like the previous post G4 is the newest and I've heard no negative things from it.

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    If I may ask, why? I've read of many complaints. Generally having to do with mislabeling. Many people seem to get two bottles of resin, one labeled as hardener. Why would you risk your threadwork to chance? What is it that you like about it compared to other finishes, that you are willing to take that risk?

Ive never had an issue with Pro Kote in 5 years. Never had an issue with mislabeling. And I get mine from a shop(island tackle), in person, so I can see the bottles. And Pro Kote Surprisingly works okay in the cold after a slight warm up in the bottle warmer(just warming the epoxy not hardener) Gen 4 didnt. It gave me a lot of bubbles and defects in the finish. Never had the need for a drying box with Pro Kote. So far I have a 5 dryer setup, and expanding it to 8 dryers, and even having 5 dryers running at a time, my finish comes out great.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Thank you all for your input!
    I was further wondering what you consider to be too thin or thick of a coat?
    I may not have been clear before. I like to put just enough to have it level over the thread wraps so there is no feeling the thread wraps like I have seen with old varnish finishes. I also like the epoxy to extend about 2 thread thicknesses past the threads on each end.
    I really don't like the extra thick coats I have seen on some trolling rods where you can see a clear mound of epoxy above the wraps when looking at their profile. I have seen these actually crack apart under strain.

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
    Feb 15, 2012
    FC Colorado
    Name
    Matt Riddell
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
    For the last several years, I've gone as light as I could on the finish and still get a full gloss finish. No issues on any of those rods yet, although it's only been a few years and I ain't dealing with salt. I've also done 2 rods where I didn't go for a gloss finish at all and simply saturated the wrap. Those seem to be fine as well.

I use D2 exclusively.

Upvote 0