Thieving pirates at Catalina!!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Ben yarbrough, Aug 11, 2016.

1. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    iWTG dad on an awesome trip!

If there was any doubt BDers have again proven for every shitbag that would steal a kids fishing rod there are many more good guys. Thanks for the reminder!!

2. Wyrguy

Wyrguy Newbie

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Arima Therapy
    A true 'class-act' !!! Thanks for hopefully trying to restore some faith in humanity!!!

Arima-bob likes this.
  3. devodave

devodave keeping the kid hooked up

Name:
    "Old School"
    Boat:
    Really old but solid 25' SeaRay Flybridge
    I can hardly stand to read a story like this, and how ghetto our beautiful area has become. I am a native of this great place, and been fishing all of So Cal since the 60's. My memories of fishing the pier at Cat with my kids are unforgettable. We always seemed to catch more lobsters than fish! PM me if you cant connect on that great offer for the set up for your son. I will set up a nice rod and reel to give him.

4. BrokeLoser

BrokeLoser Member

Name:
    Broke Loser
    Boat:
    Striper
    What a bummer...reading this really pisses me off. The quality of humans in Southern California is definitely not what it used to be and I'm pretty sure we all know why. Sorry for your loss at the hands of yet another desperate low life.

5. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    The good part, is that you have a family of fisherfolk!.....We always lock our inflatable with long ss cabl and a big locke at the Avalon docks...I had an oar unthreaded and stolen, so , now I put locknuts on the oarlocks....the problem gets acute when the shoreboats close down and the drunks and counter-culture types don't have a way back to their dens....

Ben yarbrough likes this.
  6. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    I have a barely used. (Might have just put a reel on it) okuma Catalina 701ml. It's a decent rod for your little guy to catch some fish with. Yours if you want it. I'm in sgv

7. Ben yarbrough

Ben yarbrough Fishing 5-O

Name:
    Salty sue
    Boat:
    24 skipjack fb
    Well folks,, Just when you've given up on humanity then all the people here on bloody decks come out with a one, two punch. People are sending all kinds of stuff to this little guy. He's making out like a fishing bandit!!

Sounds like I'm going to have the pleasure of taking Arima Bob out for some Northern California bay/delta striper. And he's gifting Jacob with a sweet custom rod!!!

I can't wait till he starts cranking in the stripers on that bad boy. What a great example of what good people can do with bad circumstances. (Hopefully we can remember that if Hillary gets elected).

I think I'm gonna take this mishap and go one step further this next year.

We go annually for ten days at Catalina. It's the biggest trip we do every year and we always look forward to the kids fishing derby. To shine a light on the shady 2016 pirate experience, next year I'm going to have Jacob pick out a new rod and reel combo to donate it for a derby prize. Not that there's anything wrong with the usual prizes like an ice cream cone or bowling at the arcade!!

We are so fortunately blessed and with all the grace bloody decks has shown us, I hope we can add that extra unexpected wow factor on some other kids trip!!

Thanks everyone!! Really impressive showing of class and grace!!

Ben

Jacob Yarbrough
    7201 rhapsody ln
    Hughson, ca 95326

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Wyrguy, yellowfish26, hilltop and 3 others like this.
  8. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I have a number of donated rods and reels that I had gathered for the charity I was trying to start, and I even picked up a power wrapper to repair those rods. I need to work more on my wrapping and finishing skills, but I might just be able to put together a combo for you to donate at next years tournament. I'll have to spend some more time with Mr. Salvador to get those skills down to where I'm confident in my wrapping ability.

Wyrguy, Hardcor and Ben yarbrough like this.
  9. TunaSniffer

TunaSniffer Newbie

Name:
    Brett
    Boat:
    Chase N Tails
    if you catch those scumbags, stuff them in your chum bag and see about going for Makos..

10. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Hey Ben, sorry to hear about the thieves. Sounds like you guys opted to fish the island as opposed to venturing offshore. Maybe I can join you guys next year for a couple days.

11. 1steveT

1steveT Member

Name:
    Steve T.
    Boat:
    soon2B
    Ben, I'll give you Frankie.

Frankie is an old school glass rod that has been custom wrapped. It's about a 6'6 ML15# stick paired with a Penn Squider narrow frame. It was given to me to donate for a kids fishing charity that I was trying to get started (whole other story). Anyway, the rod and reel were refinished by Ray Salvador, and is a hot little combo. I promised I would give it to a kid, and I think this is a fitting circumstance. I'll post a couple pics. It's a true classic that I think your son will enjoy.

---------------------------
    Pretty damn classy there.
    You are a good man Charlie Brown.
    :notworthy

Arima-bob likes this.
  12. lwarden

lwarden Newbie

Name:
    Laurence
    Boat:
    Rock Steady, Shamrock 260 Express
    One of the only pieces of fishing gear I've had stolen was on the Avalon pier, and that was about 40 years ago. I was my prized tackle box that I had paid for with money from mowing lawns and such. Guess the thieves are still working that pier. Someone who steals kids fishing gear is below slime. I think a sting operation is in order. Glad someone stepped up to help.