ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Izors Monday 2/22. Ventured out today to Izors to a beautiful day. Water Temps 57-58, outside Temps in the 70's, wind 6 to 8 all day (bigger winds not till later), 12-15 feet water clarity, no swells to speak of. The water did get dirtier after the winds began picking up in the afternoon.
    Put about 30 on the boat from 8am to 2pm on a solo trip (dogs of course) on plastics. All released. Mixed grade of both Calico and Sand Bass. Up to 21 inches, and down to about 8 inches.
    Tough to find them, but when you did it was on! Drifting put 7 good quality fish on the boat in about 75 feet. I sometimes fish a double rig, had five doubles and a TRIPLE! Brought 3 legal Sandies in at one time, a first for me. Effective depth was all over, from 75 feet to 100 feet. Some fish were suspended, but most on the bottom. Effective colors were mixed too: green, red, chovy, and of course the K-Man red flake was effective.
    Dogs spent some time in the shade of the pilot house, and of course, one went swimming to cool off.
    Check out the pics of regurgitated remains from couple bass. Looks like worm?, squid, eggs?
    Nice day on the water, nice to catch some fish too! Saw a huge flock of cormorants and gulls with a few porpoise working the area too.
    Won't let me put the fish food pics....
    20210222_105750.jpg
    20210222_132528.jpg20210222_132037.jpg20210222_101638.jpg20210222_101535.jpg20210222_105750.jpg

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    Nice report. Like the dogs. My daughter has a 109 lb black lab and my wife and I have a 102 lb black lab. They like to fish, but the bigger one gets sick. My daughter has to drug him. I have fished with labs for decades. The biggest problem I had with one of my dogs was keeping it from jumping out of the boat.

Reactions: ANGLING ALLEN
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I dam near ran out there around 11 as conditions were stellar, Good for you n thanx for the report!

Reactions: ANGLING ALLEN
    Upvote 0

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Nice report. Like the dogs. My daughter has a 109 lb black lab and my wife and I have a 102 lb black lab. They like to fish, but the bigger one gets sick. My daughter has to drug him. I have fished with labs for decades. The biggest problem I had with one of my dogs was keeping it from jumping out of the boat.
    One lab usually goes in at least once, more often in the summer?

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Can’t see the pic but could be pelagic crabs. The Dana point boats have been finding them in the sand bass down here

Reactions: RicGao and Noms
    Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    Izors Monday 2/22. Ventured out today to Izors to a beautiful day. Water Temps 57-58, outside Temps in the 70's, wind 6 to 8 all day (bigger winds not till later), 12-15 feet water clarity, no swells to speak of. The water did get dirtier after the winds began picking up in the afternoon.
    Put about 30 on the boat from 8am to 2pm on a solo trip (dogs of course) on plastics. All released. Mixed grade of both Calico and Sand Bass. Up to 21 inches, and down to about 8 inches.
    Tough to find them, but when you did it was on! Drifting put 7 good quality fish on the boat in about 75 feet. I sometimes fish a double rig, had five doubles and a TRIPLE! Brought 3 legal Sandies in at one time, a first for me. Effective depth was all over, from 75 feet to 100 feet. Some fish were suspended, but most on the bottom. Effective colors were mixed too: green, red, chovy, and of course the K-Man red flake was effective.
    Dogs spent some time in the shade of the pilot house, and of course, one went swimming to cool off.
    Check out the pics of regurgitated remains from couple bass. Looks like worm?, squid, eggs?
    Nice day on the water, nice to catch some fish too! Saw a huge flock of cormorants and gulls with a few porpoise working the area too.
    Won't let me put the fish food pics....View attachment 1256737View attachment 1256732View attachment 1256734View attachment 1256735View attachment 1256736View attachment 1256737
    Nice detailed report. No better dog then a Lab.

John

Upvote 0

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Won't let me put the fish food pics....View attachment 1256737View attachment 1256732View attachment 1256734View attachment 1256735View attachment 1256736View attachment 1256737
    from fish throat::

stomach2.jpg

worm.jpg

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)

We used to take our golden retriever fishing with us all the time on our boat at Lake Mead back in the 90's. He loved being out there with us and he was a swimming machine. He even learned how to get back onto the boat via the swim step without any help from us.

And he would even snag a live shad or two out of the bucket and eat them.

But we had to keep a close eye on him when trolling along for stripers because he'd jump off the boat just so he could swim. Middle of the lake one day he bailed on us and we didn't notice. Suddenly we were like where's the dog... look behind the boat and he's just paddling along happy as can be.

Miss that dog, a true fishing companion.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    We used to take our golden retriever fishing with us all the time on our boat at Lake Mead back in the 90's. He loved being out there with us and he was a swimming machine. He even learned how to get back onto the boat via the swim step without any help from us.

And he would even snag a live shad or two out of the bucket and eat them.

But we had to keep a close eye on him when trolling along for stripers because he'd jump off the boat just so he could swim. Middle of the lake one day he bailed on us and we didn't notice. Suddenly we were like where's the dog... look behind the boat and he's just paddling along happy as can be.

Miss that dog, a true fishing companion.

The first time I took my golden on the boat we were crusing at 8 knts looking for dolphins for the wife and kids. I looked out the window and did a double take...I saw my dog happily swimming around. He had jumped out of the boat and decided to go swimming for the first time ever in 3,000' of water LMAO.

Awesome report!

Upvote 0