Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
Wen I was a kid many, many years ago we were always able to buy live anchoives on Belmont Pier, I'm glad to report you can now buy them there again, they are selling both live sardines and anchovies there and the cost is 4 chovies or 2 sardines for a one dollar. This should be great news too for you all kayak and tubers too.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Oh, wow, takes me back. I used to ride the bus, with a transfer, to get to the pier and fish all day! We used 15 lb line, with a sliding bobber on the line and tied that to a 4 oz. pyramid weight. Toosed that out and took in the slack. Then you'd walk to the bait tank to get your Anchovy. 3 tickets for a quarter and each ticket was one bait. Put it in your bucket and walk back to send it down on a sliding leader. Freespool, clicker on and standby! One Bonito would come through and take out 20 guys at the same time. And we used to call that fun!

Upvote 0

Landsharkmark

Jul 3, 2008
Newport Beach,California,USA
Name
Mark Cernich
Boat
28 ft, Grady White
I worked at the Balboa Pier when I was 12 selling bait 5 cents or 3 for a dime.
Lots of halibut,bonito,WSB and lots of other fish. Great job for a young kid,
then worked my way to Newport Pier on Day boats that ran of end of pier.

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
it's cleaner now too, since they started selling live bait there, people have started catching halibut again, I even heard of a few T sharks too that were hooked but not landed.

Upvote 0

gillyd

CPTANGLER
Mar 29, 2007
LA/OC
Name
gilbert
Boat
EL COYOTE CREW
Was on the pier today and was speaking with the Tackle store guy, he mentioned that they were going to sell live squid at some point.

Upvote 0