Theft?!!!!???!.......

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by SalmonidDave, Jun 24, 2019.

1. euy

euy Member

CARSON in the soul Lake Balboa physically
    Name:
    ernie
    Boat:
    18 ft invader
    about 20 years ago i got a tray of jigs stolen from me. didn't realize it until i got home. shitty part was there was a blue and white tady AA single hook in there that had well over 1,000 fish on it (easy math 10 + years of use, easily 100 baracuda per season you get the picture) bummed....should have retired that jig

2. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Read in another thread that someone got robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot across from 22nd street.

rick Jackson likes this.
  3. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    For rods, try dipping the top 3 feet in yellow, orange, or green paint, for starters.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

4. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    Damn shame. I hope the landing does something. Lots of homeless turd and tweekers lurking in that area. I hope they get the shit head that robbed the dude.

onehottip and rick Jackson like this.
  5. d105

d105 Member

Name:
    d105
    Boat:
    Fish Cat 4
    Prior to a trip, I usually photograph and video the respective rods and reels that I bring. That’s primarily for me so I remember but also in case something happens. Haven’t had anything stolen other than some cheap hooks.

6. H20buffalo112

H20buffalo112 El Bombero

Name:
    Sergio
    Boat:
    SANCHA Bonita
    Ok , think about what your saying and asking, your on a charter that someone invited you to fish on. All of the sudden you’re wandering about your surroundings of whether your fishing stuff is safe. How about all the other people on this boat looking at you and are wondering who is this guy, is he trustworthy? Is he a thief? Remember it’s a two way street.
    Ok let’s assume something is stolen, What to do. Your on a boat (consider this an Island) no one is going anywhere, tell the CAPTAIN what happened and if this Captain is worth his salt he will get to the bottom and recover your items and Ban the Ass hole fishermen from the boat, and you can call authorities to throw the Ass hole in jail.
    You have to know your players, who’s a good guy or THAT GUY. Thousands and thousands of dollars in Equipment in this picture . No problem.

B8A00E3E-9DC8-4174-B40C-307D3E00E122.jpeg

RichG likes this.
  7. mindbent

mindbent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    one that floats
    I try to only do private limited load charters, I usually know most of them. If I do an open party trip I don't take any of my high end stuff and limited tackle to just a few jigs, hooks and weights. I also watch my gear like a hawk and all in hand before the boat hits the doc.

8. nu2reels

nu2reels I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None, I like others to drive

I do the same, take pics of serial numbers on Avets and really to remember what I’m taking

d105 likes this.
  9. FakeDuaneDiego

FakeDuaneDiego Member

Name:
    D
    Boat:
    N/a
    Monday morning. I got to the landing when all the cops were there. Gus on the Pursuit said it was 3 men who robbed the guy. Didn’t take any of his fishing gear, just took his wallet and cellphone.

10. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully they hooked him up with a free pass for the day. (even though not landings fault)

Bringing up another story, I was at the Tackle Swap meet yesterday in Los Alamitos and heard a commotion and look up to see a guy 100 yards away and booking it. Guess he swiped a reel and took off. Felt bad for the vendor, his young daughter was watching the table when it happened, so I picked up a few things I didn't need.
    I really wish I was walking up to the event when it happened, he'd be regretting his poor decision big time by now.

double_entendre likes this.
  11. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I've had a few things taken over the decades, not much and not often. Almost always it was when I went on the cheaper trips with the higher body counts. Back in the police academy we were taught that in general, in an average group of twenty people, one of them will be unable to resist an opportunity to change the possession of an unattended item. It was called the "5% Flake Factor."

I was on the CONDOR a couple of years ago and during a Bluefin bite, a decent fish was lost at the gaff by a mistake by a deckhand. It happens, I was not exasperated, didn't say anything, but Capt. Scott was looking down from the wheelhouse and saw it and yelled, "Crap! Don't worry, Gary, I'll get you another one." I said, "No worries, mate," and went back to fishing. About a half-hour later Scott calls loudly for me to come take a hand-off fish from him, and I do.

It turned out to be about a forty pound Bluefin and Capt. Scott's rig was a baby Avet reel, PINK in color, and that fish spooled me twice before I finally got it up to gaff. I thanked him for the fish, but asked WHY he would have such a ridiculous reel. He said, "It's the only gear that I can leave on the boat and it won't get stolen."

So if the on-the-water-daily crewmen get their gear stolen, then it is only practical to lock your tackle box and don't leave expensive lures hanging around on spare outfits.

12. FakeDuaneDiego

FakeDuaneDiego Member

Name:
    D
    Boat:
    N/a
    Yeah, he said the guy dropped off his fishing gear on the boat super early (probably to guarantee himself a bunk) then went back to his truck to sleep. That’s when he was robbed at gunpoint.

I’ve been fishing sport boats for several years, and surprisingly, the only incident I’ve seen was on a $350 1.5 trip on the Old Glory. I’ve fished several 3/4 days without incident. The Old Glory trip, someone had an 100J Ulua with an Avet Raptor disappear- expensive set up. Cap had everyone’s bags checked before we got off, never found it. So, the suspicions were that either the crew stole it or it went overboard during the rough ride home. Rod was at the bow and would have taken the brunt of it. Also, a few people claimed they had some money stolen from their bunks. I always keep my wallet on me, so I was fine there.

13. double_entendre

double_entendre Zat is not my tuna

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Ho, ho, ho your boat

Good on you for doing that. I'm pretty left wing, politically, but it's hard not to want to take a hammer to a thief's fingers.

14. downtime

downtime I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ronson
    Boat:
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    Not stolen...borrowed. In a hot bite I have had rods taken from the rail and used. I come back to grab another ready rod and it's not there only to find someone else is using it. Most of the time they claim honest mistake. I can see how they can grab a rod and reel combo that looks similar to theirs but if their stuff is nothing like yours then...
    Really you do need to keep an eye on your stuff...got guard your $500 reels!

15. azbaseball

azbaseball Member

Name:
    mike de vito
    Boat:
    20ft nitro
    Fishermen landing we came back from a 3 day trip had the gear in the cart waiting for the fish I bundle my rods together I had 20 setups as I supplied 5 guys friends from out of town. Any way we are loading the truck and find a bundle missing rods and reels The guys had their backs turned as I went to get the truck and some POS took a bundle and faded into the night. I asked the landing for video but as you would expect cameras do not work.

16. azbaseball

azbaseball Member

Name:
    mike de vito
    Boat:
    20ft nitro
    On the big game 90 back 14 years ago during a the Albie runs I was on a 6 day with my second son 14 years old. Well we are thick in the fish and this guy keeps bumping into every one no excuse me or coming down He pushed my kid once I jumped in-between and explained to him hey say you sorry and do not do it again these are kids. Well he did and about an hour later out of the corner of my eye I see my son fighting a fish at the rail and this POS pushes right into and past him again no words I reeled in my setup went right next to him casted out and landed an elbow along side his head. Capt mike Jewett was watching from the bridge and I could see him laughing. Well it did not happen again

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Jig Strike, dctalk523 and Steveo77 like this.