Theft?!!!!???!.......

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by SalmonidDave, Jun 24, 2019.

1. SalmonidDave

SalmonidDave 9' or higher only.15' two handed is way fun!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    So I was on a charter boat the other day, thinking about how my gear is just sitting around surrounded by all these guys who I don't know.

Has anyone had their stuff stolen?
    What do you do in that situation?
    What ways do you guys have to mitigate douche bags like that?

2. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Don’t fish the pursuit, you should be fine.

3. pescadito

pescadito Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    n/a
    I was on a twilight boat and had a fresh bag of plastics that I got from the tackle shop still in the paper bag. This was in the day of the Huntington flats sand bass bite days. I bought like 20 blams, pulled one out, rigged it up, and fished it. I pulled out a couple and put them in my pocket as well. After they got shredded, I went to my tackle box and the bag was gone. Put a sour taste in my mouth for a while. I learned never to leave my stuff either unattended or rig like that with spares easily accessible.

I put everything into boxes and zippered away either in a backpack or in my tackle box. I haven’t had a problem with my iron jig bag yet, but I don’t really bring that out on open party trips anymore. Vintage jigs on the boat can be an invitation to sticky fingers.

4. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I take my old beat up ugly tackle box and leave the jumbled mess of hooks and sinkers in the top tray.Someone might open it and move on to nicer looking stuff.I usually don't bring my nicest stuff either.A Penn 501 works just as well as an Avet two speed for smaller grade fish.I've only had dikes come up missing,twice.Once one of the deckhands had them hanging from his pocket.I asked if i could borrow them for a minute and didn't give them back.He never asked for them back either.I've only been on one trip where a nice reel mysteriously disappeared.Captain says no one gets off the boat until the reel shows up.It did.Found in a bunk.Where you need to be real careful is on the dock while waiting to board or waiting for your fillets.Don't leave anything unattended,even for a minute.

jer dog likes this.
  5. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Fortunately, I have never had this happen. If it did, I would tell the Captain and he would likely make an announcement that gear was missing and we need to find it before we get back to the dock.

Chicago Pete and RichG like this.
  6. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    All my SW gear is either old school Daiwa Sealines or heavy spinners... not the bling-bling reels people usually want. Rods are "good enough" factory wrapped...not top-of-the-line.

Here are some options:
    1. paint your "mark" on your gear and clear coat it;
    2. DIY etch your name on the flat inner surface of the crank arm and clear coat it (preventing corrosion of etching); can do outer surface but never seen it done where it didn't look like crap;
    3. pay to have #2 done professionally on outer surface;
    4. only go on charters where you know everyone (been doing this myself since 2014)

rick Jackson likes this.
  7. SalmonidDave

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    Makes me never wanna fish. All my recently purchased tackle is going into a dark corner and it’s going to be proteii and sealines from here on out

8. SalmonidDave

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    There is a story behind this.

9. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    So was anything stolen on that charter or were you just concerned?

I’ve been fortunate to never have that happened and I fish sporties exclusively. I do keep a close eye on my main stuffs and if items like hooks or sinkers go missing I don’t sweat it too much. You’re out there to enjoy your passion. Don’t worry too much about things that happened very rarely. Tight lines!

10. SalmonidDave

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    No, I just felt weird to have expensive kit sitting around like that.

11. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    Don't worry about it and it won't happen. Don't be the dude who accuses everybody of everything when you left it in the car.

dctalk523 likes this.
  12. ocsleeper

ocsleeper Member

Name:
    Ricky
    Boat:
    Cobia 220 DC
    Before having my own boat, I would go on open party trips often. On 3/4 day trips, I wouldn't bring anything too fancy or much gear at all.

On overnight trips, it was different. You spend more money on those trips so you want a chance to play with your fancier toys. What I do is bring a very small pad lock for my tackle box/bag. The lock is very small and simple that could be busted up with a blunt object. It was only meant as a deterrent for the opportunistic thief

RichG, Cubeye and rick Jackson like this.
  13. Fathomx

Fathomx Old Guy

Name:
    Wrapper
    Boat:
    It Floats
    I use the TSA Locks, for $20 you can get 4 of them...I use them to lock the zippers together on my tackle box...especially when I am sleeping at night.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Texlee, Cubeye, cortezpirasea and 2 others like this.
  14. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    Have a little faith in humanity. Fear is preventing you to go fish and have fun. Like what the others have said. Watch your stuff. Have some indicators that identify your rods and reels. Use COMMON SENSE. Ok, now go have fun.

15. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    I've never had anything worthwhile stolen from me that I can recall but I've read a couple stories on here where guys had some stuff come up missing.

The post that stood out the most to me was one where the owner ended up finding someone putting his stolen reel on a another rod. The thief acted confused and he got his reel back if I recall correctly.

What happens if you have to knuckle-up on one of these trips for finding/catching someone trying to steal your stuff.

Has anyone seen fights break out on boats? If so, what happened?

16. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    Yes, but not b/c of stolen gear. It was over the last Sardine during a hot local bite. Funniest shit ever.

17. RodRage

RodRage I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat:
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Two for one overnight on the Eldorado last year we had the usual shady miss mosh of anglers including a couple tweakers, I had a favorite iron clipped off my pole my partner had a Lingcod stolen and others had similar issues. Skipper hid in the wheelhouse when accusations started flying lots of guys went home pissed, tore up my ticket for the second trip... NEVER again!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  18. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Had a shimano jacket come up missing a few weeks ago on the Native.

19. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Interesting read so far. It really is a shame that some individuals do not respect your personal belongings. The worst place is on the dock or in the parking lots.

It is really a shame that you spend $$ on a nice reel or rod and then it disappears. As soon as you find it missing, Tell the Captain. They want you back so the Captain should help you find it.

On short trips, try to take the minimum so you don't have stuff scattered all over the place. You can mark your rod and reels with tape or paint or engrave them. It helps. If everyone has a black Avet, buy a red, green or purple one. Oh and the TSA lock on your tackle box and back pack is essential.

You are out there to have fun and hopefully catch some fish. If you are really paranoid about someone taking your stuff, you won't have any fun. Also check with your home owners insurance to see if will cover your fishing stuff and how much is the deductible.

PS, the longer trips will have less theft.

jer dog and mcrae like this.
  20. fishin_kid

fishin_kid Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    nada
    Only ever out of 22nd st

JamesTaylor and sickcat like this.