The World's Cleanest Seagull Release - Long Beach 10/13

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by hbouldin1216, Oct 14, 2018.

1. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    While watching the lightning show Friday night, decided to hook the boat up and see what the morning would bring. Alarm went off at 4, weather looked reasonable, so off I went. Launched out of Cabrillo in the tinny in the dark Saturday 10/13 with hopes of yellows at the shoe. I bypassed the San Pedro bait barge as two of the sporties were there and I had the jig sticks ready to roll.

It was lumpy on the way out and got worse the closer to the Shoe I got. I'm comfortable running my boat in those conditions but once I stop to fish I might as well be a wine cork in a bathtub. I made a dozen casts and headed back in with storm clouds looming. As soon as I passed the light and got back inside the wall, the heavens opened up. Tossed the rain gear on, grabbed a few passes of dines, and fished the inner wall. Probably 30 short calicos on the incoming tide until 11am. Two BIG hits away from the wall on bigger dines that were not bass and cleanly cut the 30 lb flouro leader. I'm still looking for a thresher...One 15" calico that turned into tacos tonight. yada yada yada

The highlight was captured on GoPro below. I hate seagulls just like everyone else, but this is the first that I've actually been able to get my hook back. Rats with wings indeed.

2. Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.

Name:
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat:
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Next time grab that thing and tuck its head under its wing. Then with both hands holding the wings with his head still tucked under, swing it around and around in a smooth circular motion... Don't know what happens to them if they pass out or fall asleep, but after about 10 swings you can just set them somewhere and they will stay that way... couple minutes later they wake up and fly away. I have a pic somewhere where we had like 6 of them all sitting on the cooler of an unnamed sport boat.

Zika likes this.
  3. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Damn rat birds! I've had a few clean releases with them before, but what a pain in the ass!

4. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    While this sounds noble, it also sounds like way too much work. I just wanted my hook back and this was the first one that was actually in the beak and not down the pipe. As you can see, I don't have an abundance of space to keep seagulls while they come out of whatever coma you described lol

Capt.C.Delany likes this.
  5. Killerskiff

Killerskiff The end is near

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    Fucking Sea Pigeons are a PITA however; unlike seals and cormorants they are often a fisherman's best friend.

6. mandoman68

mandoman68 Big Loco

Name:
    Mandoman
    Boat:
    Kathleen
    if you need info on threshers hit me up. I HAUNT THE LBC

7. Bwood

Bwood Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brett
    Boat:
    17' Whaler
    forgot about the head under wing party trick. Back in pinhead days, that used to really amuse the 1/2 day passengers. We would get them lined up, all snoozing on the railing.

Capt.C.Delany, ZZZZZ and Tuna Vic like this.
  8. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
    Nice catch and release.
    Happened to me a couple times while fishing, I thought I hooked up with a nice size fish, but instead it was one of those Cormorant birds that dove in the water a few feet away and snatched my dine. Once you get these SOB's in the boat, they flop all over, twist their neck, and bite the s#it out of ya till you can get a rag over their eyes.

9. cj5orion

cj5orion Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja

Name:
    Bert
    Boat:
    gone baja
    Hah !
    I put on a good glove...grab em by the neck...do what I gotta do toget my stuff.
    Sorry treehuggers

10. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    its good karma to treat them right...how many times have birds clued you into fish

11. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Bird looks like its going to be just fine :)

Sea aquatic birds are one of my favorite animals. Love them. Not everyone hates them :D

12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Just grab them from behind, by the neck, tuck / fold their wings down, tuck the body under your armpit, and remove the hook with pliers.

26grumpy likes this.
  13. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Seagulls are truly remarkable...
    50 knot winds with sideways snow and sleet couple hundred miles offshore and they are there en mass just like its a normal day..

rick Jackson and cortezpirasea like this.