The Vepr Project

Discussion in 'Gun Talk' started by BadKarma, Jul 22, 2018.

1. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It's big, red, and lots of lights
    Recently picked up a Vepr in 7.62x54r. Fun rifle and handles remarkably well. So far I have a Midwest mount with a 6x44 (eventually going to maybe try a get a rs regulate and a vortex scope, but for now it does the trick) and a Lantac Drakon Brake. The other day was messing around with some parts I have laying around and some I ordered. Have three build ideas: first is keeping it as is with the original wood. Second is a SVD12 (Battlefield 4 fans unite) style build with "Modern" furniture. The third option I'm considering is the Ironwood SVD clone set ( ill post pics if your not familiar). Pics posted below of the project, appreciate the input.

fullsizeoutput_d9.jpeg IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0059.jpeg

2. jose ayala

jose ayala Newbie

Name:
    Jose Ayala
    Boat:
    saiga1985
    Where did you buy your vepr rifle at? Thanks

3. wetsuitxninja

wetsuitxninja Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    19' Triumph
    SVD! Have you been down to Poway weapons and gear? Last time I was there they didn't care if it was steel cased and/or magnetic. (not sure if thats still the case, its been a year or so) You will love that Lantac. Hands down my favorite "muzzle device"

4. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    Shop in La Mesa. Pretty sure it was the last one with a 21" barrel. They may have a 27" in 7.62x54r still.

jose ayala likes this.
  5. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    Yah I go there regularly. Most of their employees are cool and actually educated but there are a few who are not well versed enough on current firearms laws and restrictions as I would prefer. One of their employees told me to leave because I brought in an "assault weapon." Legally purchased yugo m59/66.... Since then I have been taking my business elsewhere.
    The Lantac is great, only brake I would take over it would be the JMAC that allows for the sand man suppressor, if I could have a suppressor....

6. wetsuitxninja

wetsuitxninja Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    19' Triumph
    Maybe thought it was an SKS-D? I'd have asked to talk to a higher up honestly. JMACs stuff is badass.

7. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    They thought I still had the grenade launcher. I wish! I do have a JMAC brake on it and it spits fire balls and turns heads at indoor ranges but it is an absolute dream to shoot. I will probably getting a membership for north county firearms, have had great experience with their staff.

8. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    So many months later.... I have finally gotten around to completing my vepr furniture conversion. Heres some pics of the process and before and afters.

1049DAFA-54F6-4E06-A48C-D254EF78B244.jpg 03105A77-8B94-48CB-AB9F-9E7302E25A0A.jpg 770F1F87-C557-4906-B764-1CC6CFCDA80E.jpg 86E148F7-92B4-4EC5-BF05-B10681BC7810.jpg 1F40B0FA-2BBA-49DF-9266-D5C1F5E96B5A.jpg DBE34F52-BF67-46B0-9332-34FDB9CBC4D4.jpg

9. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Was it registered? The law gets a little weird on the transportation of RAWs; supposed to only transport them from range to residence. The legislators didn't want people driving around with them and telling LE "I was just on my way back from the range". Pretty stupid overall. Might've gotten a little weird because of that.

10. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It is not a RAWS and has been “featureless” from the day I got it. The stock is pinned so it does not fold or adjust LOP, fin grip and has a muzzle brake not a flash hider.

11. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Oh yeah, sounds like he's a kook then. I'm not an AK guy, I picked up an Arsenal way back and that was the extent of my foray into ComBloc.

12. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    Unfortunately the laws and very muddy and many LEO do not actually know them well enough that they should be enforcing them. If the rifle enters the state featureless, it is featureless so if you can find a shop that "converts" out of state and then imports. And yes imports because it honestly feels like a foreign country these days.... hahaha

13. RideHPD

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    My buddy's been on for 5 years now, the extent of their education on OLLs and bullet button guns, etc. was a piece of paper that listed possession of an unregistered AW and a few other and the corresponding CAPC number. Judicial is worse off. Family friend is a SD Superior Court judge and struggled with it even when I explained everything to him, to which he even said that it doesn't make any sense, both logically and from the way its written. Politics aside, it's a complete joke.

14. BadKarma

BadKarma Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    It truly is... and to dice even deeper into the rabbit hole... ca is a “must retreat” state meaning one has to attempt to retreat from a dangerous situation before engaging in self defense. How does one retreat when they are already in their house? CA is a legal nightmare and it’s very frustrating to know our taxes go to nothing useful to the actual tax payer.