The use of throw nets southern California??

Adam helbert

Nov 27, 2016
Corona
Name
Adam Helbert
Boat
Buying soon
Does anybody know why us in southern California can't use throw nets to catch bait but it's legal in Northern California? I never understood this. Also I just learned u can snag fish off a pair and be legal. That was big news to me. But is it only off a pier or can u snag in any saltwater?

Upvote 0

Jeff Hannah

HALIMOTO
Sep 9, 2016
Hb
Name
Jeff
Boat
Play the Red
I had a California fish and wildlife officer tell me it’s ok to snag anything but certain Salmon ... anyone know if that’s true !? Is that why you can free gaff fish near the boat with no issue !? I would like a good answer on why we can’t have throw nets I can’t think of one other than SoCal has bait barges and they probably made a law so they can be the only ones to net bait for the $?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Does anybody know why us in southern California can't use throw nets to catch bait but it's legal in Northern California? I never understood this. Also I just learned u can snag fish off a pair and be legal. That was big news to me. But is it only off a pier or can u snag in any saltwater?
    a pair? or a SNARE?

Upvote 0

Adam helbert

Nov 27, 2016
    Corona
    Name
    Adam Helbert
    Boat
    Buying soon
    I can't remember where, and certainly can't vouch for its accuracy, but I heard that it was to facilitate a commercial bait industry, which makes sense.
    That's what I was thinking also but damn to me it's unfair especially with bait prices these days. Sounds like a political topic. Ban throw nets so we can have a business they have to buy from kind of thing.

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Tampa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    The only thing I've seen nets used for in Northern Ca is the herring spawn. All other species are in water too deep for effective use of throw nets. If you try catching anchovies etc. with a net in water 20 feet deep they will simply swim out the bottom.

Reactions: Adam helbert
    Upvote 0

Adam helbert

Nov 27, 2016
    Corona
    Name
    Adam Helbert
    Boat
    Buying soon
    I had a California fish and wildlife officer tell me it’s ok to snag anything but certain Salmon ... anyone know if that’s true !? Is that why you can free gaff fish near the boat with no issue !? I would like a good answer on why we can’t have throw nets I can’t think of one other than SoCal has bait barges and they probably made a law so they can be the only ones to net bait for the $?
    Yup that's what I'm thinking. And with prices of live bait these days man I got to say it's so unfair. Like if I'm just going out myself and want to get bait it's going to be another $40 onto of my day. They don't even let u get a $10 scoop anymore.

Reactions: Jeff Hannah
    Upvote 0

Adam helbert

Nov 27, 2016
    Corona
    Name
    Adam Helbert
    Boat
    Buying soon
    The only thing I've seen nets used for in Northern Ca is the herring spawn. All other species are in water too deep for effective use of throw nets. If you try catching anchovies etc. with a net in water 20 feet deep they will simply swim out the bottom.
    Yeah I agree with that. But for doing the harbor thing it would be cool to be able to use a cast net to get some smelt for harbor fishing. But also I see lots of bait on top all the time also Inshore.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    !? I would like a good answer on why we can’t have throw net
    Used to do alot of surf fishing and have come across guys using throw nets on Corbina and piling em up..
    Grim scene...
    Im sure there are other poaching targets they can be misused on here in so cal...
    See guys on the weekend using throw nets for bait at pine Ave pier all the time..

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I would love to use throw nets to catch Shad in the late summer/early fall for lake bass fishing but I can see how quickly it could diminish the stock. Hand dip nets get it done with some diligence and patience.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    All fish and wildlife regulations in ALL states go through review by elected lawmakers, as well as directors appointed by elected lawmakers. Laws don't just happen. And the research and opinions of environmental scientists are taken into consideration, but often not given much weight. And state-funded scientists are often at odds with Federally-funded scientists, who have their own agendas.

Limits on species, allowable versus no allowable take, gear that can be used, closed seasons, closed areas, fishing and hunting hours, and dozens of other things are constantly being evaluated and debated and adjusted. Business interests want liberal seasons and limits, various other interests want restrictions of different kinds. Pressure from elected officials of both parties in Washington sets up Federal laws that make State adjustments extremely difficult. The west coast states have WAY too many sea lions after forty years of protection, and it is almost impossible to get any adjustments through Congress when well-funded protection groups hassle their elected officials in the other 47 states.

There is a very, very thin brown line of wardens trying very hard to keep things balanced and available to the vast majority of citizens. If an individual fisherman wanted to use a throw net from a beach along a Southern California coastline to get a bucket of bait, it wouldn't harm anything. But if the act was legal, it wouldn't take any time at all before organized crews with throw nets were taking HUGE amounts of various surf perch and immature fish of a hundred species that live along the surf break of the beach. I busted several crews doing just that back in the 80's, and we pulled a LOT of illegal gill nets from Newport Bay and other estuaries. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Southern California who come from other lands and cultures who grow up with the belief that nature is there to be used, make a buck any way you can. (Much like all of the settlers invading the American interior for the past 200 years.)

Commercial fishing interests have a seat at the table. But they are just one voice among a dozen other interests.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    For those seeking bait in the harbor.... just use a square "lift" net. Lower it into position.... then use bread crumbs of soggy bread pieces ... slowly to attract the bait. Caught many smelt this way for hali bait... bass bait in Newport. Did it in Oceanside and Dana as well.... on the Docks. Have permission... and just go an hour early... works every time...where I go.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    The smallest Sabiki's, 1/2oz weight or Kastmaster, a can of cat food and a plastic spoon to fling the cat food with will get you plenty of bait. Load the spoon sparingly, so you don't wear it and get plenty of shots.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0