The State of Dry Storage 4/18/21

Jan 31, 2013
OC
Name
Mark
Boat
Stoned Fish
Called every marina this week and got some truly staggering numbers. Apparently, Covid is the best thing to ever happen to the boat storage business...

I put my name down at Embarcadero 9 months ago and went in to see what's up. Ladies there told me they've been "frozen" by the new renovations and told me I was looking at 3-5 years for a spot :eyepoppin I'm apparently #195 on the list!! After 9 months!!!!

Last summer Cabrillo marina told me they have space so I thought I'd call em when the boat was ready. Didn't want to pay for a spot while I was still working on it. Called in and she told me I could have the honor of 50th on the list. 1-2 year wait...

Called Newport Dunes. Lady answered the phone and laughed... Told me I'd be over #100 on the list and wished me good luck.

Sunset Aquatic was semi-reasonable. I'm around #30 on the list. Didn't give a wait time though. I know cycling through 30 people will take a looong time; Especially with the season coming up.

A slip is not in the cards right now for money and bottom paint reasons, so I've started getting a list together of all the storage/RV places in a 50 mile radius to try my luck but god damn I am not stoked on having to do the extra driving to drop my boat in.

My visions of sunset cruises with loose women are fading fast.

Anybody have any ideas for a workaround?

Rjunky

professionally unprofessional
Sep 12, 2015
Santa Clarita CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
26 osprey lc
yup. i put my name on the list at MDR back last july and i think i just am getting up there in the top 5 spots. but the lady pretty much told me there is only 1 row avail for my sized boat and they never become available.... so right now i have my spot at an RV storage area in santa clarita by my house....

Reactions: sharkythesailor

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Go in the morning with classy babes? (Sorry!) Someone, somewhere must have a side lot at their house, or business. I heard roach coaches have to park in an inclosed place with drains and power, for health regulations. Maybe you can find out where they park? I saw the RV center off 52 and convoy is half empty. Maybe you can strike a deal? Military? Know one? I see the storage area off 163, probably stuffed already. What about an inland trailer park? Alpine, lakeside, ElCajon? Just throwing out ideas- advertise-ask on craigslist?

pescadorrr
    pescadorrr
    PM ME. I got a good friend with an empty slip near outlet in HB harbor. You look like a spearo like me so you’re good. He will rent it out super cheap. He’s a great guy too.
    Upvote 0
    Jan 31, 2013
    OC
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Stoned Fish
    Go in the morning with classy babes?
    Hmmm I think you're onto something!

I'd be very cool with someone's side lot, I just don't know anyone with a 30 x 10 foot space they'd be willing to reasonably rent out. Crazy coincidence you mention catering truck lots cause that's where the boat is now. Can't stay there cause I'm using up a spot that normally brings in a lot of rent...

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Called every marina this week and got some truly staggering numbers. Apparently, Covid is the best thing to ever happen to the boat storage business...

I put my name down at Embarcadero 9 months ago and went in to see what's up. Ladies there told me they've been "frozen" by the new renovations and told me I was looking at 3-5 years for a spot :eyepoppin I'm apparently #195 on the list!! After 9 months!!!!

Last summer Cabrillo marina told me they have space so I thought I'd call em when the boat was ready. Didn't want to pay for a spot while I was still working on it. Called in and she told me I could have the honor of 50th on the list. 1-2 year wait...

Called Newport Dunes. Lady answered the phone and laughed... Told me I'd be over #100 on the list and wished me good luck.

Sunset Aquatic was semi-reasonable. I'm around #30 on the list. Didn't give a wait time though. I know cycling through 30 people will take a looong time; Especially with the season coming up.

A slip is not in the cards right now for money and bottom paint reasons, so I've started getting a list together of all the storage/RV places in a 50 mile radius to try my luck but god damn I am not stoked on having to do the extra driving to drop my boat in.

The possibility that those list likely contain the same names are great or that people have found storage and left their names on the list is even greater.
    The wait may not be as long as stated, if the storage place charge a yearly fee to keep names on the list they would be more accurate.

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    You may want to check some “storage locker” type of places, generally charge between $100-200 a mo for a parking space. Depends on where you are located I guess. I waited nearly 4 years for a dry dock spot in Long Beach, that was initially supposed to be only about a 1 year wait. In those 4 years waiting, i had the boat in a storage locker place in Pomona for about $105/mo. Also had it in Chino at a very nice rv/boat storage place but they were too expensive, about $200/mo. Good luck on your search!

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
    Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    The Embarcadeo allows for storage spot transfers with boat sale. So keep that in mind on your long wait list. Unlikely anyone is leaving there in mass numbers, especially since their redevelopment received CCC approval and the retail side of the harbor will start renovation shortly.....

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Last resort: find a non-HOA neighborhood (preferably beach adjacent) and see if there are homeowners who might be willing to let you park your boat on the driveway or side yard. But you're risking other things that way, especially lack of actual security.

pescadorrr

Almost A Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Seal Beach,CA
    Name
    Pescadorrr
    Boat
    Parker 1801

PM me. I have a buddy with an empty slip in HB harbor. Close to outlet. He will rent it out super cheap. You look like a diver? Same here.

Jan 31, 2013
    OC
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Stoned Fish
    UPDATE: Called around far and wide and lucked out at "Dana Point RV and Boat Storage" about 6 min away from the ramp. Talked to Zack who was a cool dude.

290 a month for a 30 x 11 parking spot. Open 9-5 with a full-time attendant and security at night. Going to have to pay the 15 a day at the launch ramp but whatever ya can't have it all.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    UPDATE: Called around far and wide and lucked out at "Dana Point RV and Boat Storage" about 6 min away from the ramp. Talked to Zack who was a cool dude.

290 a month for a 30 x 11 parking spot. Open 9-5 with a full-time attendant and security at night. Going to have to pay the 15 a day at the launch ramp but whatever ya can't have it all.
    Ah... now you get to deal with the launch ramp issues. Your fun just begins.

Wait until you can't get your truck and trailer out of your parking spot because some gypsy has locked you in and it takes you an hour or two to get your boat onto the trailer...

Welcome to boat ownership, along with the 1,000,000 other people that bought boats this year. Combat boat launch and retrieval, the only way to live!

Upvote 0
    Jan 31, 2013
    OC
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Stoned Fish
    Ah... now you get to deal with the launch ramp issues. Your fun just begins.

Wait until you can't get your truck and trailer out of your parking spot because some gypsy has locked you in and it takes you an hour or two to get your boat onto the trailer...

Welcome to boat ownership, along with the 1,000,000 other people that bought boats this year. Combat boat launch and retrieval, the only way to live!
    I've been in the game my whole life. Pops always keeps his in a slip but I've had to launch skis, inflatables, whalers, speedboats... I've never been blocked in but that would suck big time. Launching and retrieving is easy once u got the system down!

Upvote 0