My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Avet fishing reels fanboy here (8 Raptors in my collection),

but Avet shipped my MXJ Raptor (in for routine service) to my old address - not the one I noted on my service request

I heard nothing from customer service for two weeks until I called them to find out where my reel was and they confirmed the shipping problem

FedEx tracking noted someone using my name signed for it (probably the FedEx driver) and Avet filed a claim (they couldn't recover my reel)

A month and six calls for updates later trying to get my replacement, the 'owner' was finally back in the office after dealing with 'family issues' - and she approved the replacement

but (excuse that again) they replaced it with non-Raptor version and then dodged my call when I called to complaints about the problems

taking the claim money for a Raptor with fresh spectra line, and then replacing it with nonRaptor with no line

+++++

anyone else seeing this type of mis management problems at Avet in California

I have a feeling Avet is hanging on by a thread by comments the operator said and their short hours - at least it sounded like Scot was still there so that's comforting

Last edited:

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I have a feeling Avet is hanging on by a thread
The self-inflicted damage caused by treating customers poorly will break many more than one thread. If they are having management / capitalization problems, I hope they find third-party help before the thread breaks and humpty dumpty falls because putting humpty dumpty back together again is much more difficult that protecting the last threads before they break.

Last edited:

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
If it was the sister of the owners, she's the sole reason why I stopped buying their reels.

Reactions: geebee

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I hope things work out. Scott is a good guy. The owners have always been helpful with technical issues.

This would not be a good time to miss a beat as the Okuma line has gained a following with their huge line up, competitive pricing and performance.

My avets have been trustworthy for 20 years and still use the first one I ever owned. I grew up with Penn and moved away from them after a series of manufacturing mistakes and let downs.

Now all of my start drags are Daiwa. Let's see what happens now that California is opening back up.

Apr 8, 2012
Cal.USA /loreto bcs./lopez mataos b.c.s.
Name
avery gilleland
Boat
tuna can
In this crazy world nothing surprises me any more! Do you have a receipt that states it was a raptor, If so, send the reel and receipt back to them with a short statement explaining the mistake and the amount of money you have lost. Send a copy to Avet by registered mail. Hopfully this gets someone's attention . Keep a copy to use later for legal action later , If needed. Good luck!

Reactions: aguachico

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
What in the fuck does that have to do with this situation?
Somehow 10% off makes this problem ok? DORK!!!
Lol....its just my reaction to the op’s state of avet business and that they may be hanging by a thread. When a business always give a deal its either it wants to unload a lot of inventories or to increase sales, so go figure it out....

Sorry my comment made it difficult for you to comprehend and a big deal for you that you reacted like my 6th grader,....it doesn’t makes the problem ok either. Have a great day!

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
You can find AVET 10 to 20% off year round for the last 10 years or more. what's hard to comprehend is what a DORK you are REX...NARD!

Larry S
Larry S
I got my JX 15% off at Tackle Direct, I hope their not going out of buisiness too!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
GREAT REELS AND COMPANY! Local as well. Drop off and pick up same day !

I would recommend calling first to be sure they are open and answering the door... their phone recording is heavy on COVID disclaimers

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    All companies have problems occasionally and some bad employees. I have had nothing but good luck with Avet. I can't say that about other reel companies. That said, I'd be pissed if this happened to me.

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    All companies have problems occasionally and some bad employees. I have had nothing but good luck with Avet. I can't say that about other reel companies. That said, I'd be pissed if this happened to me.
    Agreed. All tackle companies were impacted by COVID. Cali companies impacted the worse.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    UPDATE

I mailed a demand letter for a suitable replacement to the CEO/CFO/DIRECTOR listed in their corp papers explaining the problems, and giving him 10 days to provide a new Raptor reel or I would file a lawsuit

an anonymous sender from Avet then promptly emailed me a return label and added a new Raptor would be fedex(ed) out as soon as the return nonRaptor showed up in the FedEx system

that's acceptable - what I would have expected three weeks ago without the compounded mistakes and poor attitudes - they added Avet wouldn't compensate me for the spectra - I doubt there will be any swag in the box (above poster) or apology

Last edited:
    Reactions: Avery Gilleland

Sirgonzolot

Jan 17, 2021
    Pa
    Name
    Stephen Gonzalez
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Swag in the box PFFT! I never get shit and am always Polite, Curiously Courteous and respectful. So I fix all my own stuff and like it. But, sometimes the shit needs to go back to the man. Sometimes you get the horn yes!

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
    Jan 4, 2009
    Placentia
    Name
    Mick
    Boat
    The Beach
    Sold all my avet reels except my JX 2 speed.
    multiple reasons for it.
    reels are suitable but the folks in charge and the owner are questionable.

• Neutral
    Reactions: Sirgonzolot

Sirgonzolot

Jan 17, 2021
    Pa
    Name
    Stephen Gonzalez
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Heard that from a few places. They can revamp even though something is up. They offer a million styles of reels. Avet still has great products but if the customer service gets bad people loose confidence in droves! If there was a magged valiant it would be in ma hands already though and some would argue it merely requires a pros finger with great touch, which I have cause the wife tells me so...I just require one Rap MC, a backup set of berrings and it will be good for a long ass time cause I Tanni all my reels. Regardless of the long Avet articles on which is better this way, and that is better that way hooplah. Not giving up on them.

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Outback
    Definitely something up. They are selling a "g2 no glide plate" version per j and h tackles youtube channel. I found one at a turners near where I work and picked it up. It was marked at the g1 price and included a 25% discount making it a 158 bucks+tax. It had the g2 frame and clicker side plate. The handle side plate is all g1, not sure about the gearing but I have a normal mxj I should put the plate off of and compare now that I think of it. I heard the drag was the same as the g2 (20# max) but I spooled it up with fresh 65# spectra and slapped in on a rod, used a spring scale to test the drag and it was wierd. It would do 20 at full (with noticable binding) but with the cam set that way the strike was only about 8#, which is no better than the g1 at strike. So really even if it is a g2 at max, it can't be fished that way IMO. Personally I think it's a g1 where it counts with a g2 frame and clicker plate. I sent them an email but I am going to call them tomorrow.

I believe they're still producing reels, I work in metal fab and one of my vendors cuts their drag plates. I saw a bunch of boxes labeled for them and I asked what they were since I'm an avet fan, and one of the laser operators showed me the drag plates. So I think they're still producing reels and not just selling out their stock.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sirgonzolot

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    update

I got my new replacement Raptor with a Thank You on the email shipping notice - they emailed me a Fedex label and waited to receive the nonraptor before shipping it

no swag in the box (ha ha), no apology

this felt like merely the way the office is managed aside from the mistakes (shipping my serviced reel to the wrong address and then replacing it with the nonraptor version)

i'm a lot more impressed with their products for sure

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    yea, no PowerPro spectra either (and no check!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.