koopa

Arima Adventures
Feb 3, 2018
Puget sound
Name
Koopa
Boat
Arima
Well with the seasons so short now, it’s highly unlikely to be disturbed by a recreational angler. Most likely going to be the million research and whale watching vessels that chase them around from the time they enter Puget Sound until they leave Puget Sound. Oh and those evil car movers known as ferries.

Reactions: Calis and A-K
Upvote 0

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    20 ft duckworth
    Actually the big problem are the "recreational" boaters, you know, the ones on jet skis and ski boats harassing them last summer around Tacoma. Not a fishing boat anywhere around from the video on local TV that documented at least 8 vessels way too close. No citations issued either.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

fishnazzi

Mostly just LURKING anymore...........
    Feb 24, 2008
    Out West....somewhere
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Which one.............
    They probably had a research boat follow the mother’s within 20 yards for a few years straight to come up with this conclusion.
    Most likely. I remember speaking to the state whale guy at the Friday harbor closure meetings...... he told me all I do is follow the whales, observe them and scoop their poop(to test for what they are eating) ....... 50 weeks a year.

Reactions: Grady226
    Upvote 0

fishnazzi

Feb 24, 2008
    Out West....somewhere
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Which one.............
    That is only part of the problem. Even if you can see them they don't stay up long enough to use the range finder since few people can raise a thumb and figure distance accurately.
    I suspect the the WFW or NOAA will again want to close Eagle point. Hope someone talkie the troops again........

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    That's not a favorable set of conclusions, and it might impact some regulatory stuff. I'm a little nervous about how far the changes may extend, because I like the west side SJI too, but what's the argument again? Should we not study these things? Or is their data/conclusions wrong? Or should we ignore the impact that boats have on whales and say fuck it? Or. . .?

fb

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    That's not a favorable set of conclusions, and it might impact some regulatory stuff. I'm a little nervous about how far the changes may extend, because I like the west side SJI too, but what's the argument again? Should we not study these things? Or is their data/conclusions wrong? Or should we ignore the impact that boats have on whales and say fuck it? Or. . .?

fb

my problem is that, if you look at the “studies”, it’s almost impossible to keep these things alive.

supposedly they can’t eat if a boat is within 400 yards which is impossible because our area is over populated, females won’t dive, plus females can’t dive as well as males, plus they only eat chinook salmon and virtually nothing else, we could raise hatchery chinook to feed them but no, apparently that’s bad because hatchery fish are
    Bad.

I love all wildlife but I wish some transient orcas would come through and devour these things and put them out of their mysery. I’m getting tired of hearing about these things to be honest.

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Me too. The whole is thing is really a bummer. And yes the T whales are carving up the pinnipeds in the Sound right now. I hope they stay awhile.

fb

Upvote 0

fishnazzi

Feb 24, 2008
    Out West....somewhere
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Which one.............
    At the last fight. Many testified that the whales pushed salmon against their boats(shutdown). The other point that also was a game changer was that the majority of sport fish boats in the area were at troll speed, a lot less interference noise. It will take a large turn out again to stop it. Showing up isn’t enough. Everyone needs to speak. Whining and complaining isn’t speaking. A thought about real reasons to not close the area. They give you 2 or 3 minutes. Think about what you want to say that is reasonable. If they close any area because of whales...... the box is open and will close the whole straits and sound sooner then later.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Last time I saw some orcas was up in the San Juan’s. The whales were off in the distance and the wdfw speed boat was doing 50kts zig zagging back and forth to each boat telling them to stay back and kill the engine. Ironically most of this was done well within the 400 meter KILL ZONE

Reactions: FISHTALE2
    Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Interesting the comment they won't eat within 400 yards from a boat. Must have complete different characteristics of the whales I'm used to seeing. I've had them parked alongside the boat for days and days eating the chopped off heads that went over the side as we H & G'd the fish. In the Aleutians when fishing deep water for Arrowtooh/Kamchatka Flounder & Greenland Turbot once you kick the winches in gear to haul they come running. It's like a dinner bell goes off. Find it hard to believe they won't eat with vessels in the area. I'm sure it's noisy, engine noise and a lot of clicking from the sounders.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Kim, you must be referring to the smart transient whales? Not the inbred SRKW “locals” who are starving to death while literally surrounded by food sources (pinnipeds) that are eating the last of the SRKWs salmon!

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Kim, you must be referring to the smart transient whales? Not the inbred SRKW “locals” who are starving to death while literally surrounded by food sources (pinnipeds) that are eating the last of the SRKWs salmon!
    I guess those guys were transient as I only fished that area in the spring for flathead sole along the ice edge. The one batch that would park along us for days we got to the point where we could recognize them. There must of been an ornery male as a couple females had notches taken out of their dorsal. They were close enough where you could hear them talking through the hull especially in areas such as the freezer hold where it's quiet.

As I understand it the fish eaters do not munch down on the pinnipeds. Not sure if the pinniped eaters eat fish. Weird how they evolved to be so specific.

Upvote 0