The Shoe and PV 11-22. So so fishing and limits of nasty fog.

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Finally got back on the water today after taking a few weeks off to get a hernia repaired. Man, it is soooooo nice to be pain free.

Anyways, my neighbor and I fished the shoe and PV up to the golf course for just OK fishing. The shoe gave up a dozen or so fish in fairly short order, then just shut off about the time the fog hit. We hit stone after stone up to PV in some of the worst fog I’ve seen in a while. As if the fog wasn’t bad enough, there was no current to speak of. Anywhere. Water temps were 60 at the shoe, dropping to 59 at PV.

I really wanted to get to the new PV artificial reef (off the golf course) and make a SM3 structure map of it to share with other Navico owners, but with 100-200’ visibility, I wasn’t about to go in there and maybe find out the hard way that barges and moorings were still there. I’ll do it next time.

We bagged fishing around 1300 and drove back to the ramp in nasty, nasty ass fog that only got worse as we got closer to the HH entrance. Back at the ramp, hoopers were getting ready to go out. No radar, no AIS. We told them how bad it was out there, but they left undeterred. Hope they are OK.

Totals were a 50/50 mix of bass and legal sculpin—25 or so in all. We tried Snipers and other jigs, but all they wanted were 4” Kman Special swimbaits fished on the bottom. I think I only got bit like three times on the drop. All my other bites came from bouncing it on the bottom or casting out, letting it sink, then slooooooow grinding it back to me. All the bass were released to fight another day, but several of the larger model rattlesnakes went in the cooler.

So once again we didn’t sink the boat, get arrested or towed. An added bonus was we didn’t run into anything either in that pea soup fog that went on for over ten miles. I plan on doing a lot more local fishing now that I’m healed up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
Oct 31, 2011
Pasadena
Name
Shin
Boat
Triton 240 LTS
We were out there today as well, concur on all counts. The conditions at dawn were pretty great, could see Catalina easily from Angel's gate. Thought, "this is going to be a great day". Was doing pretty well at the outer horseshoe even with the total lack of current, managed 32 bass and a legal ling (all on plastics, all released). But yeah that fog rolled in like a wet blanket and never let up, and the fishing died around 10am. Thank God for radar. Super spooky out there with all the traffic.

Had a guy in a trawler pass by and said he could barely see me on his radar. I have a bay boat that's low to the water, maybe there isn't enough reflective surface area? I just bought a radar reflector from Amazon, will mount it to a pole and stick it in a rocket launcher when it's foggy, hope that helps. (but how will I even know it's working?) My radar was able to pick up nearly everything nearby, but I was surprised when I passed by an RIB, which barely showed up as a blip (thought it was noise or a bird). They definitely didn't have enough reflective surfaces.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    My gangway at 2pm

7C674BB3-D8EE-46CA-A091-F12971BA997B.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Glad you made it out and back safely, nice to get back to better health!

Upvote 0

jimmcfly323

• Jun 5, 2020
    los angeles
    Name
    Jose
    Boat
    Adonis
    Crazy i was out in Catalina and seen that cloud on my way there , heading towards LA. I got Caught in it it was Freaking Crazy and full of water. no visibility!

Reactions: KINGSIZE
    Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Thanks Kurt. I was just about to head up to a couple of my secret spots. I'll hold off a little.

Upvote 0

SemperFi75

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2017
    San Pedro
    Name
    SemperFi75
    Boat
    Semper Fidos
    Finally got back on the water today after taking a few weeks off to get a hernia repaired. Man, it is soooooo nice to be pain free.

Anyways, my neighbor and I fished the shoe and PV up to the golf course for just OK fishing. The shoe gave up a dozen or so fish in fairly short order, then just shut off about the time the fog hit. We hit stone after stone up to PV in some of the worst fog I’ve seen in a while. As if the fog wasn’t bad enough, there was no current to speak of. Anywhere. Water temps were 60 at the shoe, dropping to 59 at PV.

I really wanted to get to the new PV artificial reef (off the golf course) and make a SM3 structure map of it to share with other Navico owners, but with 100-200’ visibility, I wasn’t about to go in there and maybe find out the hard way that barges and moorings were still there. I’ll do it next time.

We bagged fishing around 1300 and drove back to the ramp in nasty, nasty ass fog that only got worse as we got closer to the HH entrance. Back at the ramp, hoopers were getting ready to go out. No radar, no AIS. We told them how bad it was out there, but they left undeterred. Hope they are OK.

Totals were a 50/50 mix of bass and legal sculpin—25 or so in all. We tried Snipers and other jigs, but all they wanted were 4” Kman Special swimbaits fished on the bottom. I think I only got bit like three times on the drop. All my other bites came from bouncing it on the bottom or casting out, letting it sink, then slooooooow grinding it back to me. All the bass were released to fight another day, but several of the larger model rattlesnakes went in the cooler.

So once again we didn’t sink the boat, get arrested or towed. An added bonus was we didn’t run into anything either in that pea soup fog that went on for over ten miles. I plan on doing a lot more local fishing now that I’m healed up.
    Amen to the fog. Santa, dad wants a radome for Christmas.🤣

Reactions: KINGSIZE
    Upvote 0

KINGSIZE

On The Iron
  • Jul 9, 2010
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Searcher
    We got caught in that fog on the way back from Cat. That's what we get for chasing Bluefin north west of Cat at 4:00 PM. Return ride in the dark with no radar and 2' of vis. Not fun.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ed Y

Sep 19, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    BW Montauk 170
    I stayed home Sunday after being out Saturday. Did make trek over to West Marine in LB to pick up a new bait pump (discovered on Saturday)... skies were clear on the drive over right until you got to the coast! Crazy.

Upvote 0