Just when you thought things were over.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Nice, that's a pig too!

Most of the landings have given up and are filling sacks the rest of the month, but there's obviously still some drag pullers around. Nice to see a confirmation.

Upvote 0

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Santa Barbara, California
Name
Nick
Boat
"EL TIBURON" - 25' Anderson
Nice, that's a pig too!

We lost at least one bigger than that. Hooked an angry one on the iron...it pulled 60’ of line on a buttoned down drag, found the rocks and earned his freedom. I was fishing a stout 50lb yoyo outfit but it was not enough. By far the biggest yellow I hooked this season, I’m guessing it was 35-40lbs.

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
We lost at least one bigger than that. Hooked an angry one on the iron...it pulled 60’ of line on a buttoned down drag, found the rocks and earned his freedom. I was fishing a stout 50lb yoyo outfit but it was not enough. By far the biggest yellow I hooked this season, I’m guessing it was 35-40lbs.

Now that is a fun story! Way to find them Nick, thanks for the report! Those winter 'tails are fun!

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Hey Chris, Was that you in the black Radon?

Ya, that was an interesting day. NOAA was waaaay off, SailFlow was incorrect, but iKitesurf was actually spot on.

Isn't sailflow and ikitesurf made by the same company?

http://www.weatherflow.com/consumer-products/

If so, I find it weird that they would adjust their forecasts across sites if it is all coming from the same central location??

Upvote 0

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Name
Nick
Boat
Isn't sailflow and ikitesurf made by the same company?

http://www.weatherflow.com/consumer-products/

If so, I find it weird that they would adjust their forecasts across sites if it is all coming from the same central location??

You are 100% correct and it's about to get weirder.... Sometimes the iKiteSurf app on your phone has a different model than the iKiteSurf website on the computer!!! No clue why but it happens!

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
You are 100% correct and it's about to get weirder.... Sometimes the iKiteSurf app on your phone has a different model than the iKiteSurf website on the computer!!! No clue why but it happens!
ughh... bummer! I guess you gotta check them all! Thanks for the tip!

The one thing I always like is a period of SEVERAL days of calm.... If you hit a day in the middle of that sequence, you're way better off than hitting a day on the edge, or hitting a single day in the midst of several crappy days....
Weather is weird and definitely plays a huge part in fishing....unfortunately.... haha
You can't just go fishing any ol' day, it's going to depend a lot on the weather for me....Especially when crossing a 20-30 mile channel of open ocean on a return trip in the afternoon!

Upvote 0

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Name
Nick
Boat
Ryan, I always check all three... NOAA, iKiteSurf, and SailFlow. If they all agree as to the forecast on your prospective fishing day and they agree for 3 days in a row before your fishing day, I feel confident in the forecast. If the three do not agree or they change within that 3 day period...they have not clue what is going on,... use your best judgement and precede with caution.

I'm sure there's a better way of boiling down the weather forecasts but that's what works for me.

Reactions: RyanErb
Upvote 0

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Name
Nick
Boat
Here's a real time example of SailFlow and iKiteSurf not agreeing....

Attached you will find two screenshots for the Dec 1st (4PM PST) models. SailFlow is showing it 2-6kts within the SB Channel and iKiteSurf is calling it 10-16kts. It happens all the time!!!

The actual buoy readings...East Buoy is 8kts and West Buoy is 14kts. So iKiteSurf is more accurate, right now at this moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.24.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.24.31 PM.png
    228 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.23.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.23.59 PM.png
    407.8 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

fishr

May 23, 2015
Name
Fish
Boat
none
Even though they're the same company, different forecasts are based on different computer models, run by different government agencies.

On Sailflow if you click on "Customize" you can try out different forecast models. The high resolution models are way more accurate than say Quicklook or 0.5 degree GFS. I've found the HRRR model (3km resolution) to frequently be uncannily accurate. Unfortunately it only looks ahead 12 hours. The NAM 5 km model is also decent and looks further ahead.

If several models all look similar then chances are that's what you're going to get. If you look at several models and they're wildly different then they're all wrong, it's a crapshoot.

Upvote 0

BoogieDown

Adapt, Migrate, or Die
Jun 17, 2012
Santa Barbara County
Name
Chris
Boat
19' Radon "Agua Dulce"
Hey Nick, yeah that was me in the Radon. Ive never used ikitesurf.com, I'll have to check that out. Im usually on NOAA and Sailflow. There are no 100% guarantees out there. Scratched one fish and lost a few before calling it quits and heading in. Cool to see everybody working together out there to make sure everyone got in safe.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
What boat is that? Looks badass!

EDIT: Nevermind, just recalled you have that 22' Anderson rebuild.

Upvote 0

Nardo

Capt. Nick
Jun 7, 2010
Name
Nick
Boat
Even though they're the same company, different forecasts are based on different computer models, run by different government agencies.

On Sailflow if you click on "Customize" you can try out different forecast models. The high resolution models are way more accurate than say Quicklook or 0.5 degree GFS. I've found the HRRR model (3km resolution) to frequently be uncannily accurate. Unfortunately it only looks ahead 12 hours. The NAM 5 km model is also decent and looks further ahead.

If several models all look similar then chances are that's what you're going to get. If you look at several models and they're wildly different then they're all wrong, it's a crapshoot.

Interesting!!! I'll check out the "Customize" option. Thanks bud!

Totally agree, if they are all different...good luck!

Upvote 0

pete j

Mar 17, 2012
lompoc ca usa
Name
pete
Boat
Slayliner
Very very nice catch. Thanks for the nice pic plus thanks to all for the tips on the weather stuff Ive only checked 1 site and most times its way freekin off

Last edited:
Upvote 0