the san diego ripoff

captveritas

Mar 22, 2010
orange ca usa
Name
captveritas
Boat
15'lowe
For years san diego landings have told us that our mexican yearly licenses were not valid on their boats ,that is just plain B.S.
Sub director of tourism ARTURO MARTINEZ ESQUER says the licenses have been good all long.
I remember years ago when i fished san diego at the end of the tripwhen you paid your galley tab the crew gave your mexican permit when was the last time you got a permit back at the end of a trip.
In an article in WON, KEN FRANKE(president of SAC)told his landings that "if you have a valid Mexican licsnse you can get on a3/4 day boat ,overnight boat or WHATEVER and not have to buy another permit"
Now for us long rangers- in KEN'sarticle he refers to WHATEVER ,does mean 3day, 5day 10day or longer trips. it sounded like all trips out of san diego.
But if that is not the case ,san diego is talking about a special EXCURISON permit required for longer trips.for years we have paid anywhere from $12.00 to $20.00 a day for permits depending what boat you are fishing .
If you are going on a 15 day trip it comes to an average of $225.00 for permits
the price for an annual excurison permit from mexico is $563.00 pesos or less than $60.00 american.
I have talked to 2 different pesca officals in the past and they have always said the the Mexican license were good on the san diego boats if this is not the case why do the deck hands have a yearly license.
IAM TIRED OF BEING RIPPED OFF
CONTACT ;RICH HOLLAND AT WON
KEN FRANKE AT :SAC
CONAPESCA
captveritas @gmail
OR ANY ONE WHO CAN CLEAR UP THIS RIPPOFF
Good Fishing
CAPTVERITAS

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
First post.......

Upvote 0

brant48

Dec 12, 2006
Sun Diego
Name
Man of Interest
Boat
Striper 21 Wa......Vengeance
When I used to go out of the landings before I got my boat I would always buy a yearly mexican license because my friend has a boat......I'd tell the guy at the landing I had one and I didnt need a daily permit. They always told me they have to charge me anyway........bottom line if you dont want to deal with the red tape and the crowds become a boat ho or owner.

Upvote 0

sdangler

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 5, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Mark
Boat
USS Drum SSN 677
Isn't this supposed to be some kinda holy day or something???

First thing I gotta read this and Obama is on TV telling me to play catch with my kid (that I don't have)... We know this dude and some of the boats are adapting. It's still a crap shoot holding 40 plus permits at the islands if the Mexi's pull up and want to see them all knowing one fuckup could land your boat in ensenada.

Can't do anything about the serving president; this guy on the other hand...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
This reg just changed in the last couple weeks. Take your tinfoil hat off.

Upvote 0

HTA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
The boats can check each passenger for a updated mexican fishing licence just like they did for a california fishing licence. If for any reason they let a dumb fuck on the boat and get caught that simply makes them dumber than the dumb fuck......so whats the problem.

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
.......so all this time the boats were lying ? They will just up their ticket prices most likely. hey isn't the shogun due in today ? wonder how they did

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
This reg just changed in the last couple weeks. Take your tinfoil hat off.

Can you read! He does have a point!!!
We know the regs have just changed but the Landings are still saying we need to buy permits from them on any trip longer than 3 days / long range.... "You need an excursion permit". So you still have to pay the $15/day for the longer trips.
Lots of contradicting information out there in relation to someone still trying to make a buck$$ off of us!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
If you choose to sail on the boats you are going to pay one way or another. Either in permits, or bunk fees,maybe for trolling equipment etc,etc. Does it really matter what the bill is called ?

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Got some jihad Jiffy Pop cooking.

Upvote 0

1bigfisch

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 16, 2007
Northridge Ca
Name
Michael
Boat
32' Luhrs "Alluhr"
Its all about the money. If you had any idea how much the landings were making off your trips in the first place, you would be more than a little upset that they feel the need to skim even more from you.

Upvote 0

conchydong

Untitled
Jun 5, 2008
Pompano Beach FL
Name
Scott
Boat
Rock Bottom
I personally feel that long range fishing is still a bargain. If you charter a boat out of anywhere it is going to be at least $1200.00- $1600.00. Divide that by 4 people and you are at almost $400.00 per person per day. That is without gourmet meals, and accomodations etc. Travel time is a wash because you must travel no matter what type of boat you are on.
I can't speak for the shorter trips but 8 days or more the SanDiego fleet is a bargain and the relaxation and mental health once you leave the dock is priceless.
Who cares if they charge for Mexican Permits. They can say Permits are free and just add on to the cost of the trip like the Intrepid, which might be a good idea for the other boats. Either way it works out the same. The logistics of confirming that everyone has the proper permits would be a nightmare for the boats.

Upvote 0

dweston

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 12, 2008
vista Ca. USA
Name
Duane
Boat
yours
not sure I understand the first post.I just went on 2 over night trips this spring, the landing deducted the permit fee from my charge since I already had a permit, and the captain gave me back my mexican license once we got back to port. Just had to let them know when I checked in.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Ok I worked 6 years at one on the local Point Loma landings....YES they all have been marking up the daily Mex permits...If I remember correctly at the time we were paying around 5 bucks and we were charging 10.
The regulation that changed is that the Federal Gov has to honor the permits sold by the state government......I've asked Conpesca and have been told that the Yearly permits sold to us have been good all along on the sportboats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Ok I worked 6 years at one on the local Point Loma landings....YES they all have been marking up the daily Mex permits...If I remember correctly at the time we were paying around 5 bucks and we were charging 10.
The regulation that changed is that the Federal Gov has to honor the permits sold by the state government......I've asked Conpesca and have been told that the Yearly permits sold to us have been good all along on the sportboats.

I just got off the phone with Conpesca & Derick is correct.
Conpesca says the yeary permit is good regadless of length of trip.
Per Conpesca they are aware of the situation & they have no control over landing policy as they are in business to make money..
The Landings " Fishermans" will not accept a yearly permit on any trip longer than 3 days & must buy daily perms from the Landing...
Why pay $120 in perms when you already have a yearly permit...Sucks but it is what it is for now..
Would be nice to catch a break especially for the guys that do many long trips during the season including winter 10-16 day trips.
As some of the others said, still a great gig to fish our fleet & regardless of the regs they will find a way to make their money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
I know that at Seaforth every Mexican day permit is stamped and can't be used again. Don't know about the other landings though.

Upvote 0