Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
Jan 12, 2016
San Pedro
Name
Rich P.
Boat
None
First time fishing the San Diego out of Seaforth, yesterday, 9/27/2020. I’ve been trying to jump on this boat for the last few years, but it just never worked out; always Sold out or something comes up. Anyways, made a reservation 3 weeks in advance!

Drove south with a buddy down from LA. No one on the 5 except for the guy driving the WRONG WAY in the fast lane, just south of La Jolla. Hopefully, no one was killed!

Made it to Seaforth in one piece. Love the parking and the super efficient check-in process! Kudos to the Seaforth crew.

Captain Matt started NW of the tuna pens and stopped on a few paddies for some small YT. I landed 3 and threw back two. For the rest of the day, we did the “offshore“ thing. Drive, drive and more driving! The whole time, the crew is in the Gyros, in the crow’s nest and the wheelhouse working hard. I counted four gyros, and the crew never put them down.

Bottom of the 9th (more like the 15th inning), we come across a school of Skipjack (5-10#) and a few YFT (approx 10#). Complete mayhem for 30 minutes. We move on to check a Kelp that had produced for a couple of boats earlier in the day, and that was wide-open Skipjack and a pick on the smaller YFT too.

Since we were 40+ miles from the barn and it being 4:30pm, it was a late night!

I wanted to give kudos to the crew of the San Diego: Captain Matt, Marco, Fisher, Ethan and cook Dan...you guys are awesome! Thanks for fishing hard on a tough day. Much appreciated.

Tackle recommendations:
*Bait was super beat up (not uncommon this time of year), super important to pick the best bait you can find. Butt hooked worked well with a small hook. I used an Owner #2 Mutu Hybrid circle hook on my 25# rig and a, much smaller, Gamakatsu #2 Live Bait J-hook on my 20# setup.

+20# setup that you can cast was an advantage. I fished a Torium 14 on a 9’ Shimano Teramar rod.
+25#-30# setup is ideal when they are biting.
+40# setup for a rubber band rig.
+Coltsniper/Popper rig if you like.

Good luck out there!

Almost 16 hours and 130 total miles for a full day!

AFDADAB7-9DE2-4CA5-947F-DDE91FCA7733.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yolo

Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
Some 3/4 day boats operate like a half day trip...the San Diego is the best bang for the buck, best 3/4 day platform and by far one of the strongest "gives a shit" in the fleet.

Trust me, I went same day, different boat and they phoned it in. All the time I was wondering where the SD was...worth the wait to get a ticket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yolo

Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
One thing I recommend is if you have Instagram or Facebook on your phone...follow the San Diego. They post daily if its good or bad and you can follow along up to your trip to help set expectations.

Trust me, there are going to be bad trips on good boats but the trick is, be on a large platform with tons of space, good bait, a top top notch skipper, great galley and fish with a team that is dedicated to fishing local waters period.

I have been on the SD where they go the extra mile almost every trip.

Upvote 0

Frank B

Apr 23, 2014
Name
Swellsearcher
Boat
Dirty Sanchez - 24ft Grady
Great to hear on the SD going the extra mile. Had the exact opposite experience earlier in the year on the SA 80.. worthless crew... never in the tower... saw them up there 1 time all day. If you dont catch you dont catch but the crew still needs to try as much as they can to at least give you a fighting chance. Last time I will ever ride that boat

Reactions: bkoleszar
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
SD is a great boat! Probably the best full day boat in the SD fleet!

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Nice to hear that the crew was giving its best...on the binos, in tuna, tower, etc. Sometimes, even on some LR boats, it seems like I'm the only one actively looking for fish...no up top in the crow's nest, etc. Kudos to the boat and crew.

Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
The whole time, the crew is in the Gyros, in the crow’s nest and the wheelhouse working hard. I counted four gyros, and the crew never put them down.
This is the difference between the SD & some other boats. Fisher is a nut, in a good way. Always happy, always positive, always helpful. Julio was awesome too. Bummer he ain't on there. Good boat for sure.

Upvote 0

zam

Almost A Member
  • May 2, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Tree
    Boat
    iWish
    Nice! I was on that trip as well and told my buddy who was there the same thing. They never stop glassing no matter what. When they are on fish, when they arent, when there are people in the wheel house talking to them, glassing. Everyone is always looking for fish. No one is as hungry as The San Diego, no contest.

Upvote 0