PENN

saltydentist

Aug 1, 2018
New York
Name
Pedro Ch
Boat
cdm
I live in NY now and have been dying to fish SD again since my last trip on the Mission Belle last summer. I had been checking recent fish reports from my tiny apartment everyday for the last two months and was fully expecting to ride The San Diego down to the Coronado islands. I realized at LAX I forgot my passport and wouldn't be able to make the trip :((( ... until the boat decided to chase tuna offshore last minute over the weekend with the bite falling off at Coronados :D

Dad and I have never caught tuna up until this point. Came ready with #40 jig and #20 live bait setups... Good Lord, nothing could prepare us for the adrenaline rush when we see the tuna starting to BOILLLL for the 1st time. Absolute mayhem ensues when we slide into a huge yellowfin school aggressively hitting the chum. For about an hour the school of 15-20 lb yellowfin stick to the boat and slam the live bait, flat falls, and colt snipers. You probably could've thrown a banana at them and they would've bit. Dad and I each hooked up 5 times and landed 3 each. One guy hooked up 19, landed 13, and let 6 others be reeled in by newbies lolol.

Total damage for 45 passengers was 208 yellowfin and handful of bluefin and yellowtail from a kelp patty stop at the end. Unreal day, the stars aligned! We end up taking home 10 yellowfin with fish from the regulars who all limited out.

It was our 1st trip on The San Diego, but it won't be the last! I asked a ton of questions, learned a lot, and took a raw heart down the hatch to end the day. Top notch crew and boat 10/10

Tight lines out there!

20190814_153937.jpg
20190814_153818.jpg

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Atta Boyz! :food-smil

Reactions: saltydentist
Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
It is incredible when you first see tuna that want to die!

Upvote 0

saltydentist

Aug 1, 2018
New York
Name
Pedro Ch
Boat
cdm
Dont you go thinking its always like this in Southern California. Its actually RARELY like this in Southern California. That is probably the best yellowfin day the San Diego has had all year long !!!

Absolutely cannot take it for granted!! I grew up going for sculpin and mackeral on marina del rey boats haha... probably explains why my dad and i absolutely lost our shit during that entire tuna boil. Birdnested myself and dad had a tuna break one of his rods

Upvote 0