The "San Diego" 11/6. YELLAS !

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by streetnfish, Nov 7, 2017.

1. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Hey guys,

Saw that there were still some yellowtail and bluefin being caught in San Diego last week. Looked like Monday would be a nice weather window with light winds. Checked out all the boats and the San Diego looked like a good call. I've only fished this boat a handful of time because it is often "loaded" with folks. We all know it's one of the best fish catching boats but I don't do the 55 guys on the boat thing anymore. Saw they only had 12 reservations on Sun night so packed up and got ready to drive down from LA in the morning. I always figure 10 walk ups (one of which would be me) so 22 would be nice. Woke up at 2 am and they had 14 folks reserved on the boat. Great ! Packed up and drove down to Seaforth.
    Get to the landing, picked up my Mexican permit, gave them my passport and got all signed in. On my walk down to the boat, Capt Ryan (Booger) passes me and says "Hey". Great ! Like I said, I've only fished the San Diego a handfull of times, and every time it has been a different capt. (I belive it was Ray). Always had good trips but as you all know, Ryan is "The Guy!" Cool I get to see how he runs the boat. I get to the boat and the deckhands Fisher and Sean greet me with big smiles and take my gear over the rail before I board the boat. Go down to the galley and meet the cook. I apologize, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. However, he is a great guy! Always smiling and joking with the passengers. And stories for days LOL For those of you who have not been on the boat, It's a very nice fishing platform. I believe about 75ft long. Has nice rail space to work with 20171106_060707.jpg Nice open bow casting area.
    You step down into the galley (kinda like where the bunk room would normally be so there is lots if deck space. There is a great rod rack down the center of the boat where you can place your rods, and your gear. Don't have to worry about getting your gear hosed down or bleached during the day. 20171106_055316.jpg
    And 2 nice big bathrooms. 20171106_125325.jpg
    We loaded up all the passengers and ended up with 24 anglers total. Most guys were seasoned fisherman with about 5 rental rods I think. We motored over to the close by bait barge and loaded up with the best 5-6 in dines I've seen all year. All clean and about half of them that light green color. It was here that I got to see a little of why capt Ryan gets his reputation as one of the best. It's just a little thing but even the bait loading was machine like. Ryan jumped down to the deck and helped load the bait and they did it in a synchronized way so that the guy scooping the bait never even had look away from the bait well ! Net was given and taken away like clockwork. 20171106_055226.jpg
    Like I said, it's may just be a little thing, but it was significant enough for me to notice it. In all my years, on all the boats, I've never seen bait loaded so smoothly and efficiently. That includes long range. Anyway, on to the fishing.
    Ryan got on the horn and let us know that we would be heading south of the Coronados looking for yellows and poss bluefin in the afternoon. He said most yellows were caught on flyline dines, dropper loops, and yo yo jigs with a few surface Iron. Fisher and Sean went around to EVERYONE to make sure they were setup right. Even the experienced anglers. Thus there were none of those weird tangler rigs you always see getting thrown out there by folks. My setups included jig stick (100j/Penn Fathom 25n), bait (Phenix Abyss 909/Progear V20), and butterfly rig (black hole 662hmf cape cod special slow pitch/Shimano Ocea Jigger 1500HG). Didn't bring any yo yo setups but had a couple of colt snipers in case I needed them. Ryan said we would look and for fish on the way down but he anticipated we would be fishing further south. Put the trollers out and off we go.
    Smooth ride down and as we approach the islands we get a jig stop. Bait thrown and the whole boat is bit. Ends up being those big bonito down there. Still fun to pull on something and gets everyone warmed up and working together. We take off and as we go we get a few more hookups on the bonito and skipjack but Ryan just has the passengers skip them in as he can see them on the sonar and he wants to get to the real stuff.
    Well we are still north of the islands when Ryan slows the engines and circles. He says that this is yellowtail and looks like a good school. "Let em go guys". I grab my bait rod, toss out a nice dean and am immediately bit. Pulls a little string but I can tell it's a small fish. I'm working him up and I see it out of the corner of my eye. A guy to my left hooks up with a light spinning set up. I can tell by how his rod bends sideways towards me that our lines are crossed. I hear his reel sing and before I can tell him to follow his fish down or get around him, I'm burned off. Right then, I hear Ryan on the horn "Oh Ya Boils !" Grab my jig stick and head to the bow (should have gone there anyway). Birds, swirls, cast out and tight after 3 cranks ! AHHHHH ! Get him to the boat quick and bounce him. Nice 8lb yellow and I'm on the board. There are 5 of the "Jig Kids" on the bow who know how to do the rotation and we start having a blast! For me, 6 casts equals 5 yellows in the boat. :jig:Yea they were bitting like THAT ! One cast had a fish that shook the jig when I hesitated before bouncing him. Got another one on the surface Iron, gave it to some guy and then grabbed my slow pitch rig. Tossed the jig down wind and hit bottom just as I was straight up and down. Worked the jig up with half cranks and was bit. YEA ON THE TROUT GEAR ! Not really, but it looks like trout gear to anyone that doesn't know what it is. Anyway, got that guy in the boat and gave him away. Dropped back and by this time things had slowed. Got one more short bite on the jig that shook loose and that was it for that stop. Looked at my watch and it was around 10 am. Now that's a start! We looked around and stopped on a small school but no more fish wanted to play. So off we went south with over 100 yellows on board and smiling faces all around :rockin:. These fish were your typical island school fish. A little bigger than earlier in the season. These are now mostly 7-8lb fish up to about 10lb.
    We go further south past the tuna pens, with Ryan looking hard the whole way. Finally, he sees some structure spot he likes and anchors up. As the boat comes tight an angler hooks up in the stern and you can tell this is no small yellow. Up the side he goes and after a while he lands a nice yellow of about 18lbs. We get a couple of more hookups on big yellows that find their freedom on the bottom. A few bass and bottom fish come over the rail. Big bonito are also around so fishing is good. I get my bait picked up off the port side and put it into gear. UMPH ! Hey this is a nice fish. Pulls lots of drag but out and not straight down immediately. I gain a decent amount of line back and then put pressure on him as he goes down to circle. Up the side of the boat towards the anchor NOOO! I'm almost to the bow and the cook is up there coaching one of the rental rod guys with a nice yellow on a dropper loop NOOO ! I get lucky, work my way around the guy with the dropper loop, and get my fish close enough that he can't make a dash for the anchor. Get him to the surface and the cook comes and gaffs him quick before going back to help the rent rod guy. (He got his fish too). Stoked ! Quality yellow about 15lbs. 20171106_111406.jpg
    As you know would happen sooner or later, the resident Coronados seals made an appearance and shut things down. Come to think of it we were really luck not to have any on our first stop. Anyway we hit a couple of more structure spots for a couple more of the nicer yellows. (Biggest prob a little over 20lbs).
    Ryan was still working hard and around noon we decided to go look for those bluefin so back north towards the pens. We anchored up on a spot and immediately saw some nice boils far off the stern (tuna or mega huge bonito). One guy hooks up on the right kind and we get a very nice bluefin on board that looked about 25lbs. Condition died and we moved to another spot and anchored up. Boils again and immediate hookups on bonito and Nice calico bass. (All easily legal). Unfortunately no more tuna or yellows for us and it was finally time to head home.
    Nice drive home with happy anglers and got to see mother nature do what she does best. 20171106_170337.jpg 20171106_170640.jpg 20171106_170830.jpg
    Fisher and Sean cut fish all the way home as we had a deck full of fish. 20171106_160210.jpg 20171106_160316.jpg
    Got back to port, Drove to Mitches for some tacos and went to bed. THE END ! 20171106_195820_LLS.jpg
    So besides a great fishing trip, I got to see what fishing withcapt Ryan was all about. He and the crew on the San Diego do all the "little things" well. They are all nice and personable. They all work together well like a well oiled machine. Even in a wide open bite they work in an ordered fashion and their good manners don't go out the window. Ryan works very hard to put you on fish all day. He is constantly giving info on what he is seeing on the monitor and best techniques to use. Hell, he could have cashed it in after the first stop on those yellows, took us to the island to catch seals, and most folks still would have been happy. It was very nice to see an example of how a boat can be run to provide great customer service and still provide a great fishing experience if you catch fish or not. Lots of good operations out there. This is one of the best. Now you know why the boat is always full and the counts are usually the highest. Good on them !

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    ScaleyOne, Hefe', Willdoggy and 34 others like this.
  2. ZMAN

ZMAN Member

Name:
    zack story
    Boat:
    26 Radon
    Great write up. 100+ on the Yellows in November . Priceless !

RideMX4life21 likes this.
  3. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Nice job and great write up!!

4. DPevin

DPevin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak
    Weekdays the cook should have been Cruz...he is the freaking man.

Matt is great also, not sure if he was on your trip or not.

5. momaguro

momaguro Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Pequod
    Great report that should clear up the questions earlier raised. The San Diego is class!

6. Tackleho619

Tackleho619 Member

Name:
    Tackleho619
    Boat:
    Any
    Awesome report n pics, wtg:-)

7. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Great report Ray! Glad you had a great trip. Love the San Diego! Beautiful day out there and yellows to boot in November!

8. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    Booger pullers off the hat trick.. !

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    A blast of a day, fine job!

10. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Lucky you. Looks like the right call.

11. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Sweet report Bro.
    The San Diego is my favorite 3/4 day hands down.

Marlinman10 likes this.
  12. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Awesome day of fishing!

That head is spic & span. Does anyone use it?

13. tailchaser930

tailchaser930 Newbie

Name:
    Tailchaser930
    Boat:
    Any
    Congrats on a successful day and nice write up. Booger and crew dont mess aronund and its all about providing a good experience. Glad you got to see that it's the real deal and not just hype.

14. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Thinking of going out on Thursday. Any tips for gear and tackle?

15. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    That, is a complete report. Even pictures of the head in there.

16. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    25lb flouro for bait. 40lb yo yo rig or dropper loop. Surface iron if you want. Hook size 1-2/0

17. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    That's awesome. Great trip. I'm glad the cook was awesome. That was literally my only knock against the boat in August of 16. The cook at the time had an attitude like he was serving life without parole LOL

I'm guessing he has found greener pastures.

Man I've got 2 vacation days left and the thought of getting back to San Diego to fish this boat or a 1.5 have been haunting my thoughts lol

18. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    NICE NICE REPORT!! Hope they stick around for another few weeks ;)

19. slayrider

slayrider Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John Pawlak
    Boat:
    Coastal Kayak
    Great Report,,feels like i was there!

Noah & Scoot likes this.
  20. Edward L Russ

Edward L Russ Member

Name:
    Rusty cage
    Boat:
    Mission fishin
    The boats not that bad with a full load when tuna fishing but on anchor that's a different story. Great write up .