joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
Menifee
Name
Josh
Boat
Boat club
Quick report here

My buddy Omar and I fished The San Diego out of Seaforth Sportfishing on 10/9. We started at north island and scratched out 7 yellows on yo-yo iron. Then we moved to SRK and rockpile but didn't find any life. Booger ran back to north island for one last shot at the yellows and we proceed to land another 28.
We ended up with 35 Yellowtail 2 halibut (28 and 32lb) for 31 passenagers, but we lost twice as much. I was lucky enough to catch 6(kept 3). We fished until 5 and arrived MB around 7.

Hats off to Ryan and his great crew Matt, Toby, and Chris. There is no doubt the San Diego is THE BEST local boat.

What worked for me:
-salas 6x birdshit and tady 4/0.
-dropper loop with a long loop.
IMAG0429_zpse216e133.jpg

IMG_0067_zps03503518.jpg

IMAG0442_zps19f60fdd.jpg

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Quick report here

My buddy Omar and I fished The San Diego out of Seaforth Sportfishing on 10/9. We started at north island and scratched out 7 yellows on yo-yo iron. Then we moved to SRK and rockpile but didn't find any life. Booger ran back to north island for one last shot at the yellows and we proceed to land another 28.
We ended up with 35 Yellowtail 2 halibut (28 and 32lb) for 31 passenagers, but we lost twice as much. I was lucky enough to catch 6(kept 3). We fished until 5 and arrived MB around 7
some nice yt, what setup were you using.thanks
very nice fish ,what setup did you use thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco jigs

Sep 8, 2009
Santee
Name
Rick
Boat
Triton
Going tomorrow on the same boat! What size line did you use? 40-50? What other colors were working? what size led on the dropper?

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Excellent report, decent quality on those yellows!

Upvote 0

joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
Menifee
Name
Josh
Boat
Boat club
Going tomorrow on the same boat! What size line did you use? 40-50? What other colors were working? what size led on the dropper?
I used 40lb with stupid tight drag but still couldn't stop a couple fish that rocked me.
I used bird shut color jigs but I don't think it mattered, but I did notice heavier jig got bit better.
I used 6 oz torpedo sinker.

Upvote 0

Calishark

Hook UP!!!
Sep 12, 2013
San Diego
Name
Glenn
Boat
Ho
nice yellows!
gotta get on that bite soon, hopefully they hang around a bit..

thanks for sharing!

"Hang around a bit"...

These yellows have been there all year long, and arnt going any where. The San Diego was fishing the yellows hard early '14 (jan-July) until the tuna showed up in July where the SD went offshore. Yellows still at the islands, we have just been in tuna frenzy mode for four months now. Until now where Ryan is going back and forth between yellows at the islands and offshore for tuna depending on the day if the tuna are biting. The San Diego is the best boat in the fleet. I never have a bad time, skunk or not.

By the way, there is yellow tail scattered all over our coastline right now, from coronados, IB, point loma, mission, la jolla, north county, Orange County, long beach, SCI, Catalina.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alex morataya

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 14, 2007
Burbank
Name
Alex
Boat
none
"Hang around a bit"...

These yellows have been there all year long, and arnt going any where. The San Diego was fishing the yellows hard early '14 (jan-July) until the tuna showed up in July where the SD went offshore. Yellows still at the islands, we have just been in tuna frenzy mode for four months now. Until now where Ryan is going back and forth between yellows at the islands and offshore for tuna depending on the day if the tuna are biting. The San Diego is the best boat in the fleet. I never have a bad time, skunk or not.

that's good to know...just need to hang around for this weekend and maybe next weekend as well.

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
"Hang around a bit"...

By the way, there is yellow tail scattered all over our coastline right now, from coronados, IB, point loma, mission, la jolla, north county, Orange County, long beach, SCI, Catalina.

You forgot Ventura and Oxnard..:-)
If you go further than that, than you might have a chance at some Albies...;)
Robert

Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
Hey is it me or are 90 percent of the yellows being caught slim , skinny . like not enough chow for em or have been on a long trek . prior yrs know for a fact all the local tails at least i have boated were not slender like the tails this yr . curious go back and take a look at past pics . luv n fishes to all .b

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Hey is it me or are 90 percent of the yellows being caught slim , skinny . like not enough chow for em or have been on a long trek . prior yrs know for a fact all the local tails at least i have boated were not slender like the tails this yr . curious go back and take a look at past pics . luv n fishes to all .b
Great observation. I know these migratory YT are slim. It's from long trip. But as some stay on some home guard spots they turn to toads. Like some 5 lbs ones in two years will be fat 25 lbs models. At least we can hope. A lot of these are 400 miles north. Takes some fuel to get up here!!! Lol. Let's fatten them up!!!

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Congrats on an awesome trip! Booger is da man! I just finished vacuum seal yellowtail from today's trip (10/10). The yellows were big and mean. 65 for our trip with about 40 of which were the 25lbs+ variety. They're beasts when you're trying to pull them up from 200ft and weaving them through rocks and seals. I went 2 for 6 using 40lb leader. The worst hook-to-land ratio ever for me. LOL

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I also noticed a lot of the YT at Catalina (the real ones - not the babies) have been skinnier than usual for a lot of this season.

With the volume and spread of fish this fall is only going to get better. IMO there will be very good retention especially if we get a good squid season over the winter. Look out next season!

There was even a YT caught albie fishing out of Westport WA a couple months ago.

Great observation. I know these migratory YT are slim. It's from long trip. But as some stay on some home guard spots they turn to toads. Like some 5 lbs ones in two years will be fat 25 lbs models. At least we can hope. A lot of these are 400 miles north. Takes some fuel to get up here!!! Lol. Let's fatten them up!!!

Upvote 0

Vibora

Aug 18, 2011
Murrieta
Name
Adam
Boat
Yes
To the OP. Just to clarify . Are you saying you used a torpedo sinker with the iron, or a you saying you used a dropper loop with bait and the iron separately ?

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
I used 40lb with stupid tight drag but still couldn't stop a couple fish that rocked me.
I used bird shut color jigs but I don't think it mattered, but I did notice heavier jig got bit better.
I used 6 oz torpedo sinker.

Got rocked by one last week due to failed dropper loop knot...plan on trying again soon. Way to go on the Mossbacks! Wondering what kind of knots did you use when using the 6oz. torpedo sinker? Also what type of knot did you use to tie directly to jig?

Upvote 0