Advertiser
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
www.skipjackyachts.com
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
I am being reinitiated to boat life. Sorting through engine problems and learning about all of the systems on this boat (figuring out what works and what doesn’t). I plan to use this thread as a place to ask questions that pop up for fellow skipjack and skipjack 262 owners.

First question, does anyone have water seep into their closet compartment? I have only had the boat in the water for a week and have barely used it (see my reference to engine problems above), but the carpet inside the closet is wet. It must be rainwater. Are their known areas to check / seal to prevent rain water (and eventually spray) intrusion?
Check the stantions in that area and also look to the hoses fitting and water tank for leaks. If someone forces water into the tank the psi can jump up enough to cause a crack.

Never leave a hose on high and shoved down the filler on any boat. It's best to have the hose above he filler and there are several holder the do that now. If you force water into the tank even for a second the square inches at a few extra psi can be over a thousand pounds pressure over the top surface.

If it's a stantion it's best to loosen it and force 5200 sealer under it.
Least likely is the tank in this case because it would need to find a track into the closet.

Also if the window frame leaks its possible to see water in different parts of the cabin.

Upvote 0

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
www.skipjackyachts.com
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
I am being reinitiated to boat life. Sorting through engine problems and learning about all of the systems on this boat (figuring out what works and what doesn’t). I plan to use this thread as a place to ask questions that pop up for fellow skipjack and skipjack 262 owners.

First question, does anyone have water seep into their closet compartment? I have only had the boat in the water for a week and have barely used it (see my reference to engine problems above), but the carpet inside the closet is wet. It must be rainwater. Are their known areas to check / seal to prevent rain water (and eventually spray) intrusion?
My boat supervisor says I'm nuts. He said the only water in the closet would be from condensation. I use a small heater to keep my boat dry but the one case that water in a storage area was a Stantion that was leaking a tiny bit.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2020
New Jersey
Name
Jim
Boat
Skipjack 262
Thank you for the quick replies. Hopefully I’ll have the boat back from the mechanic this weekend and can begin chasing this down. I’ll report back with my findings.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2020
New Jersey
Name
Jim
Boat
Skipjack 262
Here’s an update.

Closet Leak - believe this issue (or non issue) is solved. I had a damp rod hanging in the closet that leaked. I had not realized that the fluid collecting in the damp rid is not water. It’s some type of chemical that literally does not evaporate! Droplets stay intact for weeks. After shampooing the closet carpet, I dried it with a hair dryer and it has remained dry since.

Topsides - My Father’s Day present this year was a professional compound and wax. Hot damn, the 28 year old oxidized gel coat came back to life. It’s beautiful.

Electrical System - I’m going through the boat’s systems. First, I had to elongate wires feeding into the main panel. The wires were too short to remove the panel from the wall. Located a few disconnected grounds, replaced some light bulbs and now most systems are operational. Then, I replaced the freshwater pump and discovered a leak in the head’s faucet. Currently the shower sump is non operational and that’s next on the list to be replaced.

A few questions…

1. I haven’t been able to locate a direct faucet / shower head replacement. Any leads or are these easily repaired? It’s the type that has a hose running directly from the body of the faucet and a plunger to pull and redirect flow from the faucet to the shower head.

2. How do you lower the dinette table to convert it to a bed?

9E8F8143-E8E4-4AC7-A777-D5D0589A57F5.jpeg

EBEB9D70-587F-420F-8B87-77EC7E21CA33.jpeg

59FF60A3-653D-49D8-91F6-CA4E8BB72F84.jpeg

216C1580-BFA1-4556-9AAE-F8328127B2D2.jpeg

ACAA834A-C069-44E8-8ECF-80CED91DB08B.jpeg

Upvote 0

TheWesNMads

May 18, 2020
Yorba Linda
Name
Dan
Boat
1979 24’ skipjack fly bridge
Camping world possibly for the shower hose/nozzle. That’s just like the one I had in a lance camper I used to have for the wet bathroom. The dinette table you just remove the pipe completely from the base and from the table itself.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2020
New Jersey
Name
Jim
Boat
Skipjack 262
Camping world possibly for the shower hose/nozzle. That’s just like the one I had in a lance camper I used to have for the wet bathroom. The dinette table you just remove the pipe completely from the base and from the table itself.
Faucet - I have never owned or spent time in an RV, but 2 minutes of searching RV faucets and this popped up. Thank you!

Regarding the table, which end of the table support is threaded. I tried to turn by hand but it didn’t budge. I guess the next step is PB blaster.

Upvote 0

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
  • Aug 10, 2005
    VISTA CA
    www.LongerShelfLife.com
    Name
    MARK aka "Mako"
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
    As long as we are chasing down water in places it doesn't belong...is there a way to keep the wash down water on the deck from draining into my bilge?.. My opinion is the 262 is not scuppered well or the engine hatch wont seal out overflow water in the channels. every time I wash it down and water builds up in the back engine hatch area and flows right over to a strip of aluminum to divert the water away from the engine..into the bilge.. a guy that works with Grant and S&S mentioned the same thing. is it an issue with all 262 or similar models or maybe I need to add more rubber seal to that rear of the hatch or what?
    anybody else have this issue? I hate water in my bilge!

Upvote 0
    Dec 3, 2020
    New Jersey
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Skipjack 262
    Others with more miles under their hulls will likely chime in, but in my experience, yes water overflows the gutters and ends up in the bilge.

I mistakenly left my bilge switch “off” (annoys me this is even possible, but I have a three way switch: auto, manual, and off). We have a torrential downpour and I ended up with 10, probably 20 gallons of water in my rear bilge. For me, this was only a minor issue since i have outboards.

The previous owner applied some weather stripping to the top of the gutter. It’s now very haphazard looking. Sections have degraded or are missing. I haven’t made the time to go about replacing it to see if there is much of an improvement.

Reactions: FULLY LOADED
    Upvote 0

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
  • Aug 10, 2005
    VISTA CA
    www.LongerShelfLife.com
    Name
    MARK aka "Mako"
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
    Hey Mike.. how do you address this on the new 262's? what advice can you give us on how to keep the water out of the bilge?

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    had a welder make a stainless tray that I bolted to the rear hatch - ran a hose to bildge - this way if water leaks from the rear hatch - it will go into the tray and into the bilge versus onto the engine.

93605033-8DFA-4149-8217-9FA1424382C3.jpeg

Upvote 0
    Dec 3, 2020
    New Jersey
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Skipjack 262
    Oh wow. That’s a great solution.

Since my engine bay is empty, one of my future projects is to make a giant fish box. I’ll probably incorporate a similar gutter system to avoid sending water to the fish box.

Upvote 0