The real deal. RP Line One 18 day, 1-20 thru 2-7-19

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Others have already posted accurately on this one, but I thought I'd add my perspective.

One can only learn so much sitting on the couch at home. So how about the a next step:

• Take an 18 day trip
    • I'm 68. All but four were senior to me.
    • All but one had more experience than me.
    • I did not officially query each and every - but in response to the an ask about prior trips: Over 100, 60, 23 of this trip, 19 of this trip, All of these since 2004 and also the March version since 2010 ... There were many hundred man/trips of experience. Many had been on the March 2006 trip with 88 cows!
    • Roy Rose -27 years. Dharyl Shelborne -30 years. Eddie Felarca - 15 on the RP. Captain Tommy -15. Chris Garcia -10 years at 100 days a year on the RP, with the other half of his life in Alaska.
    • Not a single That Guy
    • No one pushy with their preferences, but all happy to share in the most generous way anything they thought might make anyone else's trip better.
    • 16 anglers on the RP -- Um - not crowded
    Old fashioned group? Well, I had hoped to see people that were good at it tie the FG knot. It is a fact that fully half had never tied one and many had never heard of one!

If anyone was wondering if I had taken too much stuff - I took 12 rigs. I counted - there were 226 ready to go in the racks, so I was below average. (16 anglers, not counting boa stuff)

Fishing was felt to be above average for Wahoo, maybe a bit below average for numbers of YFT, but above for quality: A sampling - Best YFT 266. All the Wahoo looked big, but I was not around when the weighed for the Friends of Rollo prize "Best Wahoo not on troll" I have see a lot of Wahoo -- these were generally very big!

IMG_0130.JPG

Fun fact: There have been some threads on boots, with deference paid to the tried and true XtraTuf. Well on the day we started fishing there were 11 different brands on peoples' feet:

Boots1.JPG
    boots3.JPG

boots2.JPG
    boots4.JPG
    boots6.JPG
    boots8.JPG
    boots5.JPG

And Don Burnsides' -with the resole almost worn off:
    boots9.JPG

The weather: From not ideal:
    Bumps going down..JPG
    Alijos bumps.JPG

To a notion of perfect for some, shot with panorama:

flat dead calm.jpeg

The morning before boarding the tide would have great for loading:
    morning tide.JPG

Look at that level ramp.

Then when it was time for the Red Shirts to do their thing:
    loading tide.JPG

For those that were wondering how they do that -- it is beautifully aided by PIGSAC technique (Pull Intently Grunt Strain and Curse) and this elegant steel rail: They keep the front right corner of the cart angled into this rub-rail.

rubrail.JPG

I suspect there are limits to photos per post, so "To be continued ..." boots7.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    So I had xtra tuffs, keen sandals and sperry fishing/tennis looking shoes on this trip.
    Pete,
    I have made no claim for any due diligence or even accuracy in my reports. I will claim that you are a pleasure to share a trip with. Thank you for your tolerance and sharing so many things. Hope you liked the reports. Please, do not point out too many more examples of my failures of scientifically valid sampling methods.

Reactions: TOTW and potuna
    Upvote 0

potuna

Unknown member
    Jul 23, 2011
    San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
    Pete,
    I have made no claim for any due diligence or even accuracy in my reports. I will claim that you are a pleasure to share a trip with. Thank you for your tolerance and sharing so many things. Hope you liked the reports. Please, do not point out too many more examples of my failures of scientifically valid sampling methods.
    Truly my pleasure to share that adventure with you.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0